Blue Jays series relocated to Philly

ParksyParksy Posts: 1,749
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So long story short:

Toronto is hosting the G20 summit on the same weekend the Phillies were supposed to be in town.

MLB, Toronto Blue Jays, and a bunch o' politicians and such decided that for security and congestion reasons it would be best to move the series to Philly. While in Philly, Toronto will still have home field advantage rules, and the DH will be used.

Myself, I had tickets to the friday game in hopes that Roy Halladay would be making his return to Toronto and I could give him the warm welcome back he deserves. (A LOT of fans did this)

In fact, Toronto doesn't sell out many.... well any games. This series was going to be packed / sold out.

For the trouble caused, Toronto Blue Jays are giving full refunds PLUS free tickets to any other game at home.

This has caused quite the debate.

After checking other boards, I figured I would post on here to get reactions.

As a Jays fan... While I'm disappointed that the series will be moved, I think they're doing the right thing by not only refunding costs, but also providing free tickets.

I think this hurts the Toronto Blue Jays as an organization though. This series was one of the VERY few bright lights on the home schedule this year. To have it taken away is pretty foul.

I would have hoped that maybe they could reschedule the series IN Toronto and not move the series altogether.

Also, the MLB would be VERY wise to schedule the Philles back here as SOON AS POSSIBLE to keep us happy.

Here's hoping.

Thoughts?
Toronto 2000
Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
Boston I&II 2004
Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
Toronto I&II 2011
Buffalo 2013
Toronto I&II 2016
10C: 220xxx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Parksy wrote:
    So long story short:

Toronto is hosting the G20 summit on the same weekend the Phillies were supposed to be in town.

MLB, Toronto Blue Jays, and a bunch o' politicians and such decided that for security and congestion reasons it would be best to move the series to Philly. While in Philly, Toronto will still have home field advantage rules, and the DH will be used.

Myself, I had tickets to the friday game in hopes that Roy Halladay would be making his return to Toronto and I could give him the warm welcome back he deserves. (A LOT of fans did this)

In fact, Toronto doesn't sell out many.... well any games. This series was going to be packed / sold out.

For the trouble caused, Toronto Blue Jays are giving full refunds PLUS free tickets to any other game at home.

This has caused quite the debate.

After checking other boards, I figured I would post on here to get reactions.

As a Jays fan... While I'm disappointed that the series will be moved, I think they're doing the right thing by not only refunding costs, but also providing free tickets.

I think this hurts the Toronto Blue Jays as an organization though. This series was one of the VERY few bright lights on the home schedule this year. To have it taken away is pretty foul.

I would have hoped that maybe they could reschedule the series IN Toronto and not move the series altogether.

Also, the MLB would be VERY wise to schedule the Philles back here as SOON AS POSSIBLE to keep us happy.

Here's hoping.

Thoughts?

I don't think their doing the right thing for the fans. The only time this year to see the doc. Attendance would have been through the roof. For once I'd like to see someone say screw you Mr. Politicians we are playing this weekend and you clowns aren't that important. I'm sure it's about money, Philly draws way better than Toronto and since it will be considered the home team, Toronto will take the gate and concessions after covering the expenses of Philadelphia. Why not play in Buffalo?
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    As I just wrote in the Phils thread since I just received an invoice for this game to be included in my Sunday season ticket plan for the Phils now...even though being a Phils fan, it's incredibly unfair from a home team advantage, but what would've happened if a team from Philly and from Toronto played in any city other than either of these cities? No one would show up. So, even though Selig sucks, he did what was best to turn a profit - and that is where would this series definitely sell out if not in Toronto. Bingo - Philly.

I was looking forward to Doc going back to where he came from just for the moment, but as a Phils fan, I can't complain.

Also, so are the Phils going to wear away uni's and vice versa for TO? That'd be even more bizarre.
  • Just curious if the old Montreal venue would be available, if not go Canadiens!?
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    two things:

1. the feds are pissing me off with this G20 ... firstly, they are holding the summit in the worst possible place for security and going against the city's recommedation that it be held at exhibition place which could be secured more easily ... plus, we have to pay for this shit and in essence it brings nothing to the table ... sure, we might get a few protestors staying at a hotel and eating a restaurant or two but that is it ...

2. on the baseball side - it makes sense but what i would have loved them try and do is to team up with philly chamber of commerce and offer up some kind of flight plus hotel package to the toronto fans ... tickets to the game would be free and a good rate on flight and hotel ... doc needs to get the standing O he deserves in this city ...
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,420
    Blue Jays fans should come down to Philly to see their team; although you'll have to put up with lots of obnoxious Phillies fans. I've heard of some Phillies fans who booked road trips to Toronto for that weekend - can't get the money back for airfare.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    just play the games....how long has this g20 thing been known about?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,989
    81 wrote:
    just play the games....how long has this g20 thing been known about?

That's the biggest issue about all of this - Major League Baseball and the Toronto Blue Jays have known about this practically since the schedule came out.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,448
    polaris_x wrote:
    two things:

1. the feds are pissing me off with this G20 ... firstly, they are holding the summit in the worst possible place for security and going against the city's recommedation that it be held at exhibition place which could be secured more easily ... plus, we have to pay for this shit and in essence it brings nothing to the table ... sure, we might get a few protestors staying at a hotel and eating a restaurant or two but that is it ...

2. on the baseball side - it makes sense but what i would have loved them try and do is to team up with philly chamber of commerce and offer up some kind of flight plus hotel package to the toronto fans ... tickets to the game would be free and a good rate on flight and hotel ... doc needs to get the standing O he deserves in this city ...

the Phillies did say they would accommodate the Jays fans as much they could - if you are a Jays fan I'd call the Jays and ask them to put you in touch with the Phils. Im sure the Phils will get you some good seats.
  • StoneAmentStoneAment Posts: 393
    As a Jays fan this annoys me to no end.

It pains me to see the skydome (the Rogers Centre for you kids out there) empty night in night out. Doc's return would've been one of the few games where it would fill out. This totally fucks us. Yeah Jays fans could travel south (but the vast majority wont) but overall the Jays are still losing out on filling seats which is painful because dammit we really need to fill more seats.

I'm highly pissed off. I don't know why this was done in the first place. This was known as an issue from before the schedule came out. Why couldn't the series have been organised for another time or is the MLB trying to kill baseball in Toronto?
    Mike McCready makes the energizer bunny look tired.
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,749
    StoneAment wrote:
    As a Jays fan this annoys me to no end.

It pains me to see the skydome (the Rogers Centre for you kids out there) empty night in night out. Doc's return would've been one of the few games where it would fill out. This totally fucks us. Yeah Jays fans could travel south (but the vast majority wont) but overall the Jays are still losing out on filling seats which is painful because dammit we really need to fill more seats.

I'm highly pissed off. I don't know why this was done in the first place. This was known as an issue from before the schedule came out. Why couldn't the series have been organised for another time or is the MLB trying to kill baseball in Toronto?

good call.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016