Would anyone else like to hear more slow PJ songs live....

pierj53pierj53 Posts: 301
edited May 2010 in The Porch
No doubt I love the band's engery, and heck the whole point to a concert is to get the crowd into it. Gotta love the high paced songs...But man would I really love to see the band slow things down a bit more live.

Most of my favorite PJ songs are a bit slower paced (Thumbing my way, come back, inside job, Sleight of hand, Sometimes, Wishlist, Nothingman, Footsteps, Otherside, All Those Yesterday.)

Anyone else feel the same way?....Seems like every show gets 1-3 slower paced songs
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Posts: 1,605
    I do like the slower stuff... i feel they have a "time" and "place" in the setlist... with that said, in my opinion to many slow songs in a set or in a row kills the mood in MY opinion!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• I am seeing the majority of fans feel that it disrupts momentum or vibe. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. The EV solo shows were magic if you are a fan of the slow stuff. I can go either way on this but as I mentioned in a different post I would love to hear Speed of Sound again. Hearing The End would be killer too. I think it's harder to capture the quiet nature and emotions of the song in bigger arenas so fast and loud tends to rule and makes for a more energetic crowd.
  • pierj53pierj53 Posts: 301
    I am seeing the majority of fans feel that it disrupts momentum or vibe. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. The EV solo shows were magic if you are a fan of the slow stuff. I can go either way on this but as I mentioned in a different post I would love to hear Speed of Sound again. Hearing The End would be killer too. I think it's harder to capture the quiet nature and emotions of the song in bigger arenas so fast and loud tends to rule and makes for a more energetic crowd.

I am very jealous about missing out on the EV solo shows...They must have been epic
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    If Lukin is considered a slow song, then yes
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I love it when they do it.. Check out the first encore of Grand Rapids '06.. This was my favorite show in great part for the slow stuff.
    1st encore:
    Sleight of Hand
    Off He Goes
    Around The Bend
    Parting Ways
    Hard To Imagine
    Crazy Mary
    Alive

Alive at the end to wake everyone back up.. But the first 5 in a row was just magical!!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • RZ27566RZ27566 Posts: 57
    "somtimes" was a killer opener in St. Louis, Start slow finish hard i always say
  • jg1988jg1988 Posts: 181
    i wish they would play other side. that is such a great song!
    jasongoz wrote:

Amazing song...So many good songs on Lost Dogs
  • jnaughtjnaught Posts: 74
    pierj53 wrote:
    I am seeing the majority of fans feel that it disrupts momentum or vibe. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. The EV solo shows were magic if you are a fan of the slow stuff. I can go either way on this but as I mentioned in a different post I would love to hear Speed of Sound again. Hearing The End would be killer too. I think it's harder to capture the quiet nature and emotions of the song in bigger arenas so fast and loud tends to rule and makes for a more energetic crowd.

I am very jealous about missing out on the EV solo shows...They must have been epic

I attended night #2 in Baltimore last year for the EV solo shows. He performed at The Lyric Opera House (100+ yrs old) - it was magical! Covered most of Into the Wild, a number of slow PJ songs, Cat Stevens, Lennon, etc.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    LukinFan wrote:
    If Lukin is considered a slow song, then yes

+1 :D:D:D:D:D:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • jnaughtjnaught Posts: 74
    pierj53 wrote:
    jasongoz wrote:

Amazing song...So many good songs on Lost Dogs

Went to the Columbus show last week - my wife was praying they would play Driftin' ... that is hands down her favorite PJ song.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I like a nice mixture of both maybe about even.
    and yes EV solo was epic. I hope he comes back soon for another mini tour. He was unbelievable.
  • jg1988jg1988 Posts: 181
    pandora wrote:
    I like a nice mixture of both maybe about even.
    and yes EV solo was epic. I hope he comes back soon for another mini tour. He was unbelievable.

true that. i went to the first boston show! ridiculously amazing. saw his limo leaving after the show and then a guy on a bike get hit by a car. very memorable show/night. anyone know if they will ever release boots?
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Thmbing My Way is a great one which I thought Eddie would have played on his solo, maybe he did, but not the shows I saw, the lyrics are so emotional.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    i love a sit down Acoustic set to start a concert, 10 sitdown songs, then everybody get's up, Ass Kicking time starts!!!
    jnaught wrote:
    pierj53 wrote:

I attended night #2 in Baltimore last year for the EV solo shows. He performed at The Lyric Opera House (100+ yrs old) - it was magical! Covered most of Into the Wild, a number of slow PJ songs, Cat Stevens, Lennon, etc.

Any chances he does a solo tour again soon? How often does he tour solo? Looks like the last one was in 2009
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    I love the slower stuff --doesnt have to be acoustic: Off he Goes, Parting Ways, Immortality, nothing as it seems, Black

And seeing an acoustic set at the Beacon was awesome (Harvest Moon, Sleight of Hand, Low Light, Masters of War). Its nice when they mix it up (not like the whole show was slow -- we got "Undone" as well!)
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    To be honest no. I like the loud fast stuff the best - Blood, Leash, Save You, Whipping, Spin the Black Circle, Comatose, Habit, Hail Hail, that sort of thing. I like the slow numbers too, but given a preference, loud and fast is my choice.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    JaneNY wrote:
    To be honest no. I like the loud fast stuff the best - Blood, Leash, Save You, Whipping, Spin the Black Circle, Comatose, Habit, Hail Hail, that sort of thing. I like the slow numbers too, but given a preference, loud and fast is my choice.

+1
    You named 6 of my top 10 pj songs