More Amp Advice

millerdwpj83millerdwpj83 Posts: 30
edited May 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been following several amp threads on here and some of you seem to be very knowledgeable. I am currently looking to replace my Marshall MG30FX with a tube amp. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My criteria are as follows

-tube amp
-$500-$1,000 price range (lower would be better)
-home use as well as jamming with friends
-guitars used: Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Mexi Strat
-some versatility with sound (playing PJ, classic rock, punk, blues, maybe even some metal etc...)
-also, im fine with possibly adding some pedals into the mix to achieve desired distortion, probably will get a tube screamer at some point.

some amps i've been looking at are
-Vox Custom AC15C1 15W 1x12
-Fender Blues Jr. NOS (probably more suited for home use, but loud enough for jamming?)
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (concerned it would be too loud for home use)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DecoderDecoder Posts: 25
    I have the Fender Hot Rod DeVille. It's 50watts and is unbelievabley loud for it's size!! I love it though! It's got a great clean sound and has a nice low end to it. It's made to break up(distort) at higher volumes, but to be honest, I've never had the volume higher than 4!! And that's while playing with my band, and we play loud. At some gigs, it's too loud and I have to set it just below 3, which sounds weak. I read some forums and came across a volume control that goes through the "effects loop". I made it with parts from Radio Shack for about $10 and works fine. You can crank the amp and contol the output volume with the homemade box. I'll try to find the link for that.
    The drive channel sounds really good. Almost like a tube screamer. The "more drive" channel unfortunately is a bit harsh and cuts through too much. But that's just my opinion.
    Anyway, I have a Tube Screamer, Metal Zone and a bunch of other pedals and they all sound great through the amp.
    If I were you , I would try them out at your closest store before making a decision. And don't be afraid to turn them up in the store!!
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    the peavey classic 30 has been very good to me
    i love the tone
    and i am told if i put a vintage 30 speaker it will only get better,
    for the price it is worth trying out at least .
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • DecoderDecoder Posts: 25
    ski4 wrote:
    i love the tone

I have the Peavey Classic 50. I love that amp! I've had mine for 16yrs!
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    Decoder wrote:
    ski4 wrote:
    i love the tone

I have the Peavey Classic 50. I love that amp! I've had mine for 16yrs!

can't beat peavey when it comes to longevity
    if anything they are sturdy lol
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    Decoder wrote:
    I have the Fender Hot Rod DeVille. It's 50watts and is unbelievabley loud for it's size!! I love it though! It's got a great clean sound and has a nice low end to it. It's made to break up(distort) at higher volumes, but to be honest, I've never had the volume higher than 4!! And that's while playing with my band, and we play loud. At some gigs, it's too loud and I have to set it just below 3, which sounds weak. I read some forums and came across a volume control that goes through the "effects loop". I made it with parts from Radio Shack for about $10 and works fine. You can crank the amp and contol the output volume with the homemade box. I'll try to find the link for that.
    The drive channel sounds really good. Almost like a tube screamer. The "more drive" channel unfortunately is a bit harsh and cuts through too much. But that's just my opinion.
    Anyway, I have a Tube Screamer, Metal Zone and a bunch of other pedals and they all sound great through the amp.
    If I were you , I would try them out at your closest store before making a decision. And don't be afraid to turn them up in the store!!

that volume box is easy to make i recently made one for my new blues deluxe. its literally 2 jacks and a volume pot in a box. People are selling them on ebay for about $20ish which is cheap but considering how little is actually in them its still pretty much daylight robbery. You can get the same effect by running a volume pedal thru the effects loop.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Egnater Rebel 20...

Variable wattage 1 through 20 watts

6v6 and el84 tubes, with the option to mix them in any ratio

From clean to some pretty ragin on board od.

Takes pedals astoundingly well.

1 channel, but I understand that helps keep the amp dynamics and this thing has tons in that category. It took a little gettin used to, but I think the sound makes up for it.

I have $2k 50w Marshall monster backup. lol
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Just out of your price range, but good amps for what you describe: Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25 and 5:50, with a nod to the Mesa/Boogie TransAtlantic (within your price range, but no room in the budget for a speaker cab).

They're definitely capable of hitting all of the styles of music you mention, which is the primary reason for recommending them. Also, they have the ability to reduce power output for playing at home, but pack enough juice to jam with a full band. Last, they are true 2-channel amps, so you can dial in two different gain settings, so pedals aren't immediately necessary.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Thanks everyone for your input. I am leaning towards Hot Rod Deluxe or Deville. The volume switch really addresses what was my biggest concern. I have not made the music store trip to try out amps yet, but will definitely do that before making my final decision. Hope to find the time this weekend, cuz I'll be in NYC the following weekend!!!! (my favorite band has a little gig there ;) ).
  • I have a Hot Rod Deluxe (limited edition with Jensen speaker), and the volume isn't really a problem for home use. Granted, you need to keep it down around 2-3 most of the time, but it still sounds awesome. Definitely worth the money.
    This is not for you...
    Speaking as a child of the nineties
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Traynor YCV series...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/amps/use ... eville.php

or this one

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/amps/use ... cm2000.php

great bang for the buck amps from EXTREMELY REPUTABLE sellers....
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."