the eternal song quest conundrum

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Hey all,

after many shows and many stellar performances I find myself always on a song quest now. The goal being hearing a song I never heard live before. I am sure many of you are the same. Pearl Jam amazingly always has a few"rare" songs in every set, and sometimes have what I would consider regional songs like Big Wave for example.

So in the eternal quest to scratch another off the list, do you ever get super spoiled on one song and always miss the other? meaning- you have heard all night 4 times but always miss Sleight of Hand or Wash by a show? Or they played Pilate at a show I was at, I already heard it once and would rather it would have been All those yesterdays...

This is not a complaint, more of a does this happen to you too? I am lucky to get All Night, Down, hard To Imagine several times, but I do find myself wishing I could trade and All Night for a Fatal.

Just wondering if any of you fell the same pain...

yeah I know bitching about getting all night, that's not the point. Do you ever leave wishing you could trade one gem for another?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Vedder1029Vedder1029 Posts: 179
    I was thinking the same thing about some of the rare songs I've seen live... even multiple times.... The Bristow show will put me at #20, and I already feel like I'm on a quest to get that "rare" gem!

I've witnessed some rare ones for sure.... I feel super spoiled seeing Wash 3 times in the last 5 years... even seeing Sleight of Hand 2 of the last 3 times they've played it.... yet missing some of the more often played songs, like Red Mosquito!

I also feel lucky to be going to see Pearl Jam, no matter what they play.... so I have no reason to complain!!!

There's always that next show!!!
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    Of course. I think of it like being a kid and opening a pack of baseball cards, always looking to complete the set. Got it, got it, don't got it, etc. Even Flow is like the bubble gum, always in there. :P

I keep a spreadsheet of all the songs I've heard at each show. It was my 10th show but I got to check off 5 more songs. I was so happy to finally get to hear Garden, leaving me just one short of completing Ten. Curse you Oceans!
  • PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    I've heard everything off of all the studio albums (not counting Lost Dogs) that they've played except "Help, Help". I think Philly was the best chance of hearing that one and it didn't make the cut.

"Wash" also continues to elude me - that's the song they've played the most that I've never heard...Here's hoping they open with it in Bristow! (although I don't like my chances, now that Cleveland got it... :lol: )
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>