The Baphoment (Gesture) and Pearl Jam-Share Your Insight

Little ItalyLittle Italy Posts: 404
edited May 2010 in The Porch
I couldn't help but notice the recent abundance of people brandishing the baphoment at Pearl Jam shows. Every show I go to, I find more and more people thowing up the sign; At one point last night, I panned around the arena and there were so many people throwing it up that you would have thought satan was up on stage. Given the type of music PJ puts forth and (for the most part) the vibe and peaceful nature of PJ fans/the community, should anyone really be associating PJ's music with the baphoment?
"he who forgets-will be destined to remember"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    edited May 2010
    WTF???? Do you HONESTLY believe that people are really putting that much thought into what fingers or gestures they are throwing up at a freaking concert??? Its called living in the moment...rocking out!! Forgetting the outside world, letting go and having a great time....This is RIDICULOUS at best!! And the fact you ACTUALLY took time to make this thread is actually embarassing!...imho

KAT...PLEEEEASE delete this before it gets out of hand...(and it will)...:-)
    Post edited by pjtradeking on
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    !..! thought that meant hookem horns woot woot :D i know what mean i always through the hangloose sign unless at the hirns game :mrgreen::D:lol:
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,988
    I gave that shit up the last time I went to a DIO concert.

Well, maybe it was Iron Maiden, WASP, or Raven. I cant remember, but I know it was in the 80's!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • uconndennisuconndennis Posts: 85
    Smurfs_Smurf_Sign_Language_I_Love_You.jpg

Also...the American Sign Language sign for "I love you"

come back to earth dude
  • Little ItalyLittle Italy Posts: 404
    edited May 2010
    Post edited by Little Italy on
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    Sorry that I don't agree with symbolizing anything related to the devil or evil. How stupid of me........

So you also don't agree with deaf/mute people telling each other they love them?

And what about the percentage of the population that doesn't believe in god or the devil? I hardly think they're out there supporting a demonic figure they think is a figment of the imagination.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
    edited May 2010
    I'm just saying why should any depection of evil or the devil be seen at a PJ show, when its all about enjoying a peaceful vibe while coming together and enjoying great music?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    Sorry that I don't agree with symbolizing anything related to the devil or evil. How stupid of me........

So you also don't agree with deaf/mute people telling each other they love them?

The meloik(devil horns) and "I love you" signs are slightly different.

The meloik was originally meant to cast away devils, not promote them. Ronnie James Dio got it from his devout catholic grandmother.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Ficticious or not, the fact that it represents evil should be all that matters.

And it's not being used in the context of sign language.

I'm just saying why should any depection of evil or the devil be seen at a PJ show, when its all about enjoying a peaceful vibe while coming together and enjoying great music?

You guys can belittle me all you want, but this is a fourm to share your thoughts and I'm simply doing so. Maybe if people became aware of what was going on around them instead not giving a fuck, our generation could actually help stagnate the shit storm that has become our world.

But fuck it, evil is cool man, yeah!

You misunderstand the true meaning.
    edited May 2010
    DewieCox wrote:
    Ficticious or not, the fact that it represents evil should be all that matters.

You guys can belittle me all you want, but this is a fourm to share your thoughts and I'm simply doing so. Maybe if people became aware of what was going on around them instead not giving a fuck, our generation could actually help stagnate the shit storm that has become our world.

But fuck it, evil is cool man, yeah!

You misunderstand the true meaning.

I guess so. Never knew there was so much to it. I'm just aware of its occult meaning........
  • uconndennisuconndennis Posts: 85

How in the world do you know what context its being used in? Just as easily as you just assumed 10,000 people are promoting devil worship......I can assume that its 10,000 people telling the band that they love them.

You're really, really reaching here man
  • release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    !..! nothing to do with devil reps the horns on a long horn
    edited May 2010
    I just wanted to get others take on this. Maybe I am going a little to deep, but its just how I feel. As a kind and peaceful person by nature, I'm just a little upset at seeing this given its occult meaning.
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    bushsatanhand.jpg

satansignsarahpalin.jpg

courtneylovewdaughtersa.jpg
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    I just wanted to get other's take on this. Maybe I am going a little to deep, but its just how I feel. As a kind and peaceful person by nature, I'm just a little upset at seeing this given what it is known to represent, that's all.

In the Italian culture, the "horns" are used to ward off the malocchio, or evil eye.
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    DewieCox wrote:
    cajunkiwi wrote:

The meloik(devil horns) and "I love you" signs are slightly different.

The meloik was originally meant to cast away devils, not promote them. Ronnie James Dio got it from his devout catholic grandmother.

You learn something new every day... thanks.

I'm with uconndennis though - to people at a rock concert, it's just the hand of rock. No harm is meant. It is interesting how different cultures can interpret things differently though - in New Zealand, if you make the peace sign with the back of your hand facing the person you're gesturing towards, it's the same as raising a middle finger to them.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    :roll: Alert the Pope