1st Show Post Philly 4

Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
edited May 2010 in The Porch
So I just went to Indy this past weekend and had an amazing time with my son... (Road trips are awesome)

The concert was great, although the weather made it hard for my freezing 9 year old...

But I had a weird sensation...
I loved everything but I still had the Philly shows in my head and was comparing everything to that experience... After seeing possibly the best 4 shows in my life and knowing the band really brought itself to its heights, can I now enjoy the shows for what they are after this or will it always be a comparisson?

Anybody else get this feeling???
GoiMTvP.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I hope I don't have issue when I see them next week. I'll just try to enjoy the moment and probably make all the comparisons afterwards
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    So I just went to Indy this past weekend and had an amazing time with my son... (Road trips are awesome)

The concert was great, although the weather made it hard for my freezing 9 year old...

But I had a weird sensation...
    I loved everything but I still had the Philly shows in my head and was comparing everything to that experience... After seeing possibly the best 4 shows in my life and knowing the band really brought itself to its heights, can I now enjoy the shows for what they are after this or will it always be a comparisson?

Anybody else get this feeling???
    I feel that exact same way. I haven't seen them yet Nyc will be my shows this tour. But all i can do is think that no matter what happens im unfairly gonna compare them to Philly and not be as satisfied as i was pre Philly. I love this band and have never seen a bad show nor will i ever(cause they cant play one) but i almost feel like a snob and i want it to stop.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • phungiphungi Posts: 641
    I feel that exact same way. I haven't seen them yet Nyc will be my shows this tour. But all i can do is think that no matter what happens im unfairly gonna compare them to Philly and not be as satisfied as i was pre Philly. I love this band and have never seen a bad show nor will i ever(cause they cant play one) but i almost feel like a snob and i want it to stop.
    It will be impossible not to compare any one concert to the 4-night Philly experience... however, if there is a place to see them post-Philly, MSG has to be the one... I saw them at MSG in 08, and that was around my 20th show..only Philly 2003 had come close to the energy at MSG but Philly night #3 was equal to or above what I experienced at MSG 08... I am looking forward to two nights at MSG and a lot of energy...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    phungi wrote:
    It will be impossible not to compare any one concert to the 4-night Philly experience... however, if there is a place to see them post-Philly, MSG has to be the one... I saw them at MSG in 08, and that was around my 20th show..only Philly 2003 had come close to the energy at MSG but Philly night #3 was equal to or above what I experienced at MSG 08... I am looking forward to two nights at MSG and a lot of energy...
    Msg will be my 16th and 17th shows. I saw them there both nights in 08 and i will agree with u that Philly 3 crowd was msg loud. I still very very stoked for theses shows and will have a blast,can't wait.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    phungi wrote:
    Msg will be my 16th and 17th shows. I saw them there both nights in 08 and i will agree with u that Philly 3 crowd was msg loud. I still very very stoked for theses shows and will have a blast,can't wait.
    Yes... me as well.. one before in Hartford in 5 days... I am sure the crowd will be awesome... but Philly got me through most of the PJ catalog.. How can that happen again?? But I do look forward to seeing times two and three and all of them :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    as far as the song catalog, I think I got to hear a lot of songs at the 4 Philly shows, so I have no expectations for the setlist, I will just enjoy what they do play, and if they do play something that I haven't had yet, then all the better.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    if it was 2 days later i may be concerned.

i was worried after bonnaroo that columbia couldnt come close..but it did.

i'm just excited all the same
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    after the philly run, i knew there would be a little let down. they shows i went to were good (columubus and indy (2 rows behind you in indy). nothing wrong with them. but they just didn't have the same buzz as philly had.

i think i'm done going to PJ concerts for a while. i'm going to become a snob and only think about going to shows that have a high likely hood of being in the all time great show catagory.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,789
    U snob ;)
  • robbyblaylockrobbyblaylock Posts: 428
    im doing hartford and the gardens and i just know its going to be hard to let philly go. i am hoping hartford is at least almost as good as hartford 08. the garden is a different animal. i thought their 03 shows were a bit better then their 08 shows as far as setlists go. on the other hand, night 1 in 08 was my best friends first pj show. we sat bout 30 rows back mikes side by the soundboard on my club seats. he said after that show he finally "got it" plus the floor shook all night for a solid solid set. night 2 was amazing with nixon winning us front row and i love him and the band to this day for it. however, i feel like the garden doesnt need the rarities and deep cuts to get the crowd going. i think the band feeds off the crowd that comes to the garden and no matter what gets played its solid and intense. philly night 3 especially will possibly never be topped and in hiding from that night was the pinnacle of my experiences with this band (like i said before, that includes front row at the MECCA that is MSG, and 29 shows to this day)
    im contemplating newark but i know i dont have that money. i know ill be watching lost that night (its the second to last one EVER) and watching the set possibly kicking myself in the ass. but i also know that two days later ill be at the garden and philly will not be on my mind because the boots are coming and ill hopefully be able to accept that philly was different circumstances with a very very special occasion.
    though i will hope for an in hiding that may be able to top night 3. if there is any place to top it, it will be in nyc.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Never went to Philly.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    It's only a comparison if you want it to be. Don't let it effect the shows that you're going to. If you do, you'll never get back to where you want to be, and that's sad.
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    I'm trying to go in with no expectations at all. I've seen a good number of shows and the three shows that kinda rank on the bottom of my list followed epic shows I went to.

My least favorite show I've been to was Hershey in 2003 because it followed the MSG shows and Boston 3 and wasn't in the same ballpark as those two.

And Albany and Hartford in 2006 were fun shows but disappointing for me because I was back in reality after having the rail in front of Mike for both Borgatas and sitting with a friend with an awesome number and being front row on Stone's side for Wachovia 05. They were the first shows that followed 3 straight front rows and I'll never complain about my usual ten club seats and enjoyed the shows, it just wasn't the same but after a couple more shows that tour I was back to normal.

So this year for Hartford I'm going to try and go in with a clean slate, but it will be hard because having those 4 great shows 9 blocks from my house to close an arena I had been to dozens of times will be tough to try and not compare it to.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Newark is this show for me.

Closing of 1 venue ( iconic ) , and the introduction of another ( The Rock ? ) .

Same kick ass band .

Thats where the similiarities end,...

Enjoy the show(s) !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • robbyblaylockrobbyblaylock Posts: 428
    i agree its not right to compare. but it will also be hard not to. im so damn psyched for the 3 im doing and im thankful to sit where i sit and hear what i hear. i love this band too much to judge show to show. its just the philly experience will always linger. especially with that thursday night out to karaoke and halloweens G2 party. much love!!!
  • smanchacsmanchac Posts: 255
    jones wrote:
    if it was 2 days later i may be concerned.

i was worried after bonnaroo that columbia couldnt come close..but it did.

i'm just excited all the same

same here! bonnarroo was so awesome that i thought va beach would suck in 08, but, i still rocked out and enjoyed KOL as an opener... so yea, some things are better than others, but, once the lights go down and the band comes out, i feel the same everytime...
    2000 10.14 10.15
    2003 4.1 4.3 4.5 4.6 4.8 4.9 4.11 4.13 6.9 6.10
    2004 10.8
    2008 6.14 6.17 6.22
    2009 9.21 9.22 9.25 10.4
    2010 5.18 5.20 5.21
    2012 7.4 7.5 7.7 7.9 7.10 9.30
    2013 7.19 10.21 10.22 10.25 12.4 12.6

35 Shows; 1040 Songs
  • It's not a competition

I think of going to a PJ show like going to an awesome party

And just because there was that party last year where all the chicks thought you were funny and the host managed to have a keg of your favorite beer and you ended up hooking up with that real cute neighbor of yours doesn't mean you should never go to another party

Enjoy each show on its own merits