Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Can we put out a list of HOFers that shouldn't be there?

I question Joe Dimaggio, yeah I'm prepared for this one.
    Kirby Puckett
    Ted Simmons
    Ron Santo
    Allan Trammel
    And pretty much anyone the veterans committee puts in.

I loved Larry Walker but yeah, him too.

Harold fucking Baines.  What. The. Actual. Fuck?????

Oh definitely!
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Yep, if it’s only one, it’s Harold Baines.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Go look at his stats.  He didn't even have a "great" year during his career.

The Veterans committee also voted in Lees Smith which I agree with, Baines though?  No clue why...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Best season of his career was '84 and he finished in a 3-way tie for 13th in MVP voting.
    I mean, I look at his career and think "Man, I'd be pretty damn happy if I played and had a career like that," but in no way would I ever think I belong in the same honor as Honus Wagner or Babe Ruth.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    DewieCox said:
    No doubt about it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I've shared stats on it....we have discussed....still nice to see it pop up on the phone 
     http://espn.com/video/clip?id=29137719 via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

Eric Davis was the shit!
    (For a brief time)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I've shared stats on it....we have discussed....still nice to see it pop up on the phone 
     http://espn.com/video/clip?id=29137719 via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

Eric Davis was the shit!
    (For a brief time)
    Just imagine if the game actually worked liked this.  It would still mean nothing, lol.

This is another one of those meaningless stats that people come up with.

But with all that said the whole world knew who Eric Davis was.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,078
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    I bet we don't get a season at all this year. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Why do you say that? Sounds like they’re moving towards a plan. Probably Not a great idea but sounds like they’re planning in playing in July 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    Why do you say that? Sounds like they’re moving towards a plan. Probably Not a great idea but sounds like they’re planning in playing in July 
    I know they are. I am just thinking that if the models are correct and we're gonna hit 3,000 deaths a day by June because we re-opened too quickly and we're over 100,000 deaths in total around that time....just seems illogical to put all these players and other people together in close quarters to play a game. My guess is they reconsider in a month or so. We shall see. Hope I'm wrong..
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Agree but also hope I'm wrong 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430
    Should MLB do this ? 

KBO demotes 5 umps to minors for 'retraining' after criticism from player

KBO demotes 5 umps to minors for 'retraining' after criticism from player
    22m ago
    Anadolu Agency / Getty
    INCHEON SOUTH KOREA - MAY 7 An umpire wears a mask leads during a baseball game between SK Wyverns and Hanwha Eagles at SK Wyverns clubs Happy Dream Ballpark without spectators due to the novel coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic on May 7 2020 in Incheon South Korea The Korean Baseball League KBO begin its new season under certain rules such as obligation of wearing masks and banning spectators from stadiums

South Korea apparently takes umpiring very seriously.

After a player openly criticized the umpiring in a Korea Baseball Organization game, the KBO announced that the entire five-umpire crew from that game is being demoted to the minors for "retraining," according to Yoo Jee-ho of Yonhap News.

The game in question was between the Hanwha Eagles and SK Wyverns on Thursday. After their 8-4 win, Eagles outfielder Lee Yong-kyu sounded off on the umps' performance during a live postgame interview.

"Even though it's only been three games this season, a lot of players are really unhappy with the lack of consistency on ball-strike calls," Lee said. "I'd like to ask all the umpires to please be more considerate of the players. We're all very confused (with the inconsistent zone). I know the umpires are doing their best out there, but I just hope they should start seeing things from the players' perspective, too."

The KBO said that the five-man umpiring crew in question will begin working games in the Futures League - South Korea's equivalent to Triple-A - on Saturday. However, the league also asked players to stop openly criticizing officials.

Although Major League Baseball's umpires are often the subject of intense criticism from fans and players alike, the league does not punish poor performance with demotions to the minors.

The KBO began its season this week after originally delaying Opening Day due to the coronavirus pandemic. Select games from the 10-team league are being broadcast in the United States on ESPN due to MLB's ongoing COVID-19 shutdown.

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,078
    I'd like to think this is posturing by both sides, but players are not necessarily in the wrong here, especially after agreeing to the deal in March when this fiasco first began:

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/05/10/source-there-is-going-to-be-a-war-if-owners-seek-further-player-salary-reductions/
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Owner are greedy bastards, as usual.
  • Options
    https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1973704

BOTH players and OWNERS should be ashamed of themselves. Fighting over money, in the PUBLIC, during these times? Really?

MLBPA won't agree to league's revenue plan, labels it a 'salary cap'

MLBPA won't agree to league's revenue plan, labels it a 'salary cap'
    17h ago
    Newsday LLC / Newsday / Getty
    Port St Lucie Fl Tony Clark executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association answers questions about the Houston Astros sign stealing scandal at Clover Park in Port St Lucie Florida on February 19 2020 Clark met with New York Mets players before their spring training workout

The Major League Baseball Players Association has an issue with the league's proposal to start the 2020 season.

Union officials told The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich that players won't sign off on MLB's proposal if salaries in 2020 come from 50% of revenues during the abbreviated season.

"A system that restricts player pay based on revenues is a salary cap, period," MLBPA executive director Tony Clark told Rosenthal and Drellich. "This is not the first salary cap proposal our union has received. It probably won’t be the last.

"That the league is trying to take advantage of a global health crisis to get what they’ve failed to achieve in the past - and to anonymously negotiate through the media for the last several days - suggests they know exactly how this will be received.

"None of this is beneficial to the process of finding a way for us to safely get back on the field and resume the 2020 season - which continues to be our sole focus."

Clark received support from noted super-agent Scott Boras, who told Sports Illustrated's Stephanie Apstein that he will urge the MLBPA to reject the union's proposal.

"The players I represent are unified in that they reached an agreement and they sacrificed anywhere from 30 to 40% of their salaries so that the games could amicably continue," Boras said. "The owners represented during that negotiation that they could operate without fans in the ballpark. Based on that, we reached an agreement and there will not be a renegotiation of that agreement."

However, MLB disputes the union's view that the proposal is a salary cap.

"We lose money on every single game (without fans)," a league official told Rosenthal and Drellich. "We have to propose that they take something less than they already negotiated. We thought the most persuasive way to make that proposal was to explain: 'Here's what we’re going to make in revenue and we'll split it with you, and here's how it turns into player salaries.'"

Owners ratified their proposal for a shortened 2020 season on Monday. That proposal reportedly includes a regular season of about 82 games and 30-man rosters with taxi squads for depth. It would also see television revenue split 50-50 between owners and players.

The league will officially present its proposal to the MLBPA on Tuesday.

MLB is the lone major North American sports league without some kind of salary cap.

• Options
    I support the players in this one....the owners want to have their cake and to eat it.  
    I hope they get back to playing when they can make it safe but the owners crying about money being lost doesn't make me sad.  They are overwhelming long term owners and have made an absolute killing on their teams, players, and fans.  

• Options
    I'm taking no sides on this one. Not during these Times.

Billionaires and Millionaires bitching about money in Public is not ideal right now.

Do the negotiations behind closed door and when, or if, they come to an agreement then announce it. 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Always on Team Players.
  • Options
    cutz said:

Billionaires and Millionaires bitching about money in Public is not ideal right now.

Do the negotiations behind closed door and when, or if, they come to an agreement then announce it. 
    Have you looked at how they screwed the kids with the draft changes?
    If it were just billionaires and millionaires arguing, I would tend to agree more.  It is not.  
    These are not the most important things to focus on, agree there, but the owners always turn the screw on everyone.  Screw them!  ✓

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Yeah, I'm with players 100%. An agreement was made, owners should stick to it.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    surprised there weren't already contingency rules in the labor agreement for situations like this. why would they have had to negotiate this in March? shouldn't things like this have already be in place?  and why would the owners have negotiated this is March before knowing where this was going.  bad move by the owners.  sad part is most likely the people who are going to be hurt by this are the regular employees of the organizations. those will be the people who are going to lose jobs and money due to this bad agreement.  sad that we have to deal with this kind of bullshit after having no sports for a few months. i just want sports back.
  • Options
    Imagine if you were a prospect?
    Screwed out of the chance to be drafted and lose hundreds of thousands of dollars for many....and many who will get drafted in the only 5 rounds there are will have to wait a year for about half and another year for the balance.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    cutz said:

Have you looked at how they screwed the kids with the draft changes?
    If it were just billionaires and millionaires arguing, I would tend to agree more.  It is not.  
    These are not the most important things to focus on, agree there, but the owners always turn the screw on everyone.  Screw them!  ✓

Yes, I did see that about the Draft. 5 Rounds makes no sense to me. 

In this article  it is MLB players & owners(and probably the Agents) and that's why  I said they shouldn't be bitching about money right now in the media/public. Not a good with this Virus going on now.  I listen to talk radio today and just about every caller was pissed off at BOTH.  I think they should  keep the negotiations behind closed doors and not have Tony Clark or the owners  bitching to the media about money.
    Post edited by cutz on
  • Options
    I can understand the lack of appetite and your position regarding public debate on dollars but that doesn't change my view on the owners.
    No business that has a union would take this, not should they.
  • Options
    I can understand the lack of appetite and your position regarding public debate on dollars but that doesn't change my view on the owners.
    No business that has a union would take this, not should they.
    I agree that the Union shouldn't take this, but just go about it differently. 

So, will we see Baseball this year or not?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I hope so, if it can be done safely for those involved.
    Giving it a 37% chance we see a complete "season".
    ;)

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    surprised there weren't already contingency rules in the labor agreement for situations like this. why would they have had to negotiate this in March? shouldn't things like this have already be in place?  and why would the owners have negotiated this is March before knowing where this was going.  bad move by the owners.  sad part is most likely the people who are going to be hurt by this are the regular employees of the organizations. those will be the people who are going to lose jobs and money due to this bad agreement.  sad that we have to deal with this kind of bullshit after having no sports for a few months. i just want sports back.
    I'm surprised they didn't have a stipulation in their contracts also.

To everyone that is siding with the players do you own a business?  If the business doesn't make money then they won't have money to pay the players.

I might have to go on a baseball hiatus again like I did in 94...
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    pjhawks said:

To everyone that is siding with the players do you own a business?  If the business doesn't make money then they won't have money to pay the players.

God damnit I hate the way this site works.  Tried four times to quote and type outside of the box and it would not let me.  (Mobile version)

I am an executive and have a small ownership stake in the company.  I always treated every company I worked for as if I were an owner.
    The stance you take does not hold water in the overall picture, imo 
    The owners have made an absolute slaughter every year for a long time....to ask that they act in the best interest of the game, the safety of the game's contributors, and mostly (to me) the future players through the draft process, is not too much to ask.
    If it is, sell the business.

You cannot suddenly shift to a revenue share approach when it suits you on a temp basis.  Doesn't work that way.
    If the union wasn't in place, it probably would.

As I keep sharing, the thing that bothers me to no end is the way they fixed the draft.  This benefits only the teams.  (And, mostly the good teams.  Imagine if you lost 114 games last year and expected to pick first 40 times...and now you get to pick first 5 times.)

Just some overall bullshit.  Approaching from a business owner's perspective also means, to me, approaching from a good business owner's perspective....not just a person who is looking to make the most money from owning a sports team that they can.
    The leagues don't need the best capitalists.  They need owners who love the sport & are good with running businesses.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

God damnit I hate the way this site works.  Tried four times to quote and type outside of the box and it would not let me.  (Mobile version)

I am an executive and have a small ownership stake in the company.  I always treated every company I worked for as if I were an owner.
    The stance you take does not hold water in the overall picture, imo 
    The owners have made an absolute slaughter every year for a long time....to ask that they act in the best interest of the game, the safety of the game's contributors, and mostly (to me) the future players through the draft process, is not too much to ask.
    If it is, sell the business.

You cannot suddenly shift to a revenue share approach when it suits you on a temp basis.  Doesn't work that way.
    If the union wasn't in place, it probably would.

As I keep sharing, the thing that bothers me to no end is the way they fixed the draft.  This benefits only the teams.  (And, mostly the good teams.  Imagine if you lost 114 games last year and expected to pick first 40 times...and now you get to pick first 5 times.)

Just some overall bullshit.  Approaching from a business owner's perspective also means, to me, approaching from a good business owner's perspective....not just a person who is looking to make the most money from owning a sports team that they can.
    The leagues don't need the best capitalists.  They need owners who love the sport & are good with running businesses.
    The "Quote" fix is to refresh the page if you screw up writing immediately, if it still is screwy you have to go to your "drafts" and delete and start all over.  It is a hassle, try not to backspace when first typing.  Leave the first letter of the mess up and write a word after then go and delete.

I will agree that some owners are just horrible owners, yes.  The draft, to my surprise, was also wrong but the union agreed to it.  That's bad business on their part, not the owners.

It's give and take between the owners and players.  Both have representatives on both sides that ultimately decide to the new agreements.

How does the stance that I take not hold water?  Ultimately if the product doesn't make money then there isn't any money to pay out.  That 50/50 will do just that for this year.  Passan and Tex agree with that too.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=29165474&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>