Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480
    some trout rookie chrome/platinum/refractor/whatever card sold in an auction last week for $147k.

BTW, penmanship is dead. :angry:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Wobbie said:
    some trout rookie chrome/platinum/refractor/whatever card sold in an auction last week for $147k.

2009 orange refractor.

The whole card world knows, lol.

For penmanship look at Luis Severino's sig.  He has a beautiful auto.
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2020
    Angels vs Royals... right now.. (3/6/20)

Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    myoung321 said:
    Angels vs Royals... right now.. (3/6/20)

Nice! I wish we were still at ST. Have fun!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,788
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Wobbie said:

2009 orange refractor.

Always liked The Hawk's signature:

• Options
    Wait, what? I thought baseball cards were worth shit now. Or is that only the overproduced stuff from the 90's?
    Pretty much only the junk was era stuff is worthless, and even that's starting to climb, especially if its graded/gradeable.  Phil's Pulls is a great channel.  So is Jabs Family.  My LCS is actually the same one that Erik Jabs goes to.  It's about an hour away for me.  Sucks because I'm usually stuck buying retail and there's never shit in those packs bc all the assholes go searching thru them.
    Man, I don't have any idea what you just said, but cool. 

The underlined part by me above starts to make me think we're approaching some kind of bubble again.

The junk wax era was around 1987-1993 give or take a couple years on either end.  Millions upon millions of cards were produced, making them super easy to find and worth absolutely nothing.  You can got to a $1 bin and grab about 30 Jose Canseco rookies in one swoop these days.  Everything after that first sentence was a completely different thought, sort of replying to other posts in the thread without quoting them. Didn't mean to throw you off there.
    We are definitely approaching another bubble soon.  I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, either.
    So there are some absolute gems in the "junk era" years.  If you find a Barry Bonds/Johnny Ray opening day error, Frank Thomas No name on front, 93 SP Jeter or the Desert shield cards from 891 you are doing good.

The 91 cards also have a rabid following because Topps did some crazy shit w the backs of the cards.  They have "black light" versions and different print on the backs.  Crazy stuff.

As for a bubble?  This Corona virus thing may jump start that.There are definitely wayyy too many people in the hobby right now but that is good for me and my selling.

I just bought new boxes for my collection and as I was transferring stuff, going thru my 90 Topps, Frank Thomas was the ONLY card missing from the set.  I am willing to bet that set had the NNOF and it was picked through before my folks bought it for me as a kid.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628

Been watching it unfold.  Sometimes I disagree but it is fun to read details on these amazing players.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Wait, what? I thought baseball cards were worth shit now. Or is that only the overproduced stuff from the 90's?
    Pretty much only the junk was era stuff is worthless, and even that's starting to climb, especially if its graded/gradeable.  Phil's Pulls is a great channel.  So is Jabs Family.  My LCS is actually the same one that Erik Jabs goes to.  It's about an hour away for me.  Sucks because I'm usually stuck buying retail and there's never shit in those packs bc all the assholes go searching thru them.
    Man, I don't have any idea what you just said, but cool. 

The underlined part by me above starts to make me think we're approaching some kind of bubble again.

The junk wax era was around 1987-1993 give or take a couple years on either end.  Millions upon millions of cards were produced, making them super easy to find and worth absolutely nothing.  You can got to a $1 bin and grab about 30 Jose Canseco rookies in one swoop these days.  Everything after that first sentence was a completely different thought, sort of replying to other posts in the thread without quoting them. Didn't mean to throw you off there.
    We are definitely approaching another bubble soon.  I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, either.
    So there are some absolute gems in the "junk era" years.  If you find a Barry Bonds/Johnny Ray opening day error, Frank Thomas No name on front, 93 SP Jeter or the Desert shield cards from 891 you are doing good.

The 91 cards also have a rabid following because Topps did some crazy shit w the backs of the cards.  They have "black light" versions and different print on the backs.  Crazy stuff.

As for a bubble?  This Corona virus thing may jump start that.There are definitely wayyy too many people in the hobby right now but that is good for me and my selling.

I just bought new boxes for my collection and as I was transferring stuff, going thru my 90 Topps, Frank Thomas was the ONLY card missing from the set.  I am willing to bet that set had the NNOF and it was picked through before my folks bought it for me as a kid.
    I wouldn't get too upset about that because the NNOF card was only found in certain areas in New England and in wax boxes, not the sets.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,411
    Mariners won't play their first 2 series against at home
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Forgot to mention that the Lux was a card I got back from grading and the others were just sent in.
    Stop buying cards a while back... but did buy these for my son during Trouts rookie season. 

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    Forgot to mention that the Lux was a card I got back from grading and the others were just sent in.
    Stop buying cards a while back... but did buy these for my son during Trouts rookie season. 

I am going to call you a liar only because of the labels.  If you tell me that you got them graded seven years ago I will believe you.  Those labels aren't from his "rookie" year.

Good cards.  

Crack them both open and send into PSA.

PM me if you want to chat more.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    myoung321 said:

I am going to call you a liar only because of the labels.  If you tell me that you got them graded seven years ago I will believe you.  Those labels aren't from his "rookie" year.

Good cards.  

F@#$ man... really?   A liar? wow... why lie about something like this?  hahaha   It was his Rookie year or first couple of years IDK... somewhere in that time frame. I paid like $25 for them.. my son was playing high school baseball at the time. He graduated after playing in his state finals in 2015. I bought them around his freshman year.. I bought them already graded... 

Seriously man... wtf is wrong with you?..I share and you say that shit?.. Fucking people..  man I've tried to be nice to you in many threads.. guess that was a mistake..

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    myoung321 said:

Good cards.  

F@#$ man... really?   A liar? wow... why lie about something like this?  hahaha   It was his Rookie year or first couple of years IDK... somewhere in that time frame. I paid like $25 for them.. my son was playing high school baseball at the time. He graduated after playing in his state finals in 2015. I bought them around his freshman year.. 

Seriously man... wtf is wrong with you?..I share and you say that shit?.. Fucking people..  
    That is how I talk Hoss, relax.  I'll PM you.  Dear lord.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
      later.. have a nice day!  

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,901
    Will games be played without fans in the stands when the season starts?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

2009 orange refractor.

hawk harrelson?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    piper Jearlpam0925 said:
    if Bonds is not top three, it’s completely fraudulent.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

2009 orange refractor.

hawk harrelson?
    Andre Dawson
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628
    Wobbie said:
    piper Jearlpam0925 said:
    if Bonds is not top three, it’s completely fraudulent.
    Have you read the criteria they used?
    What if being a known cheater and complete asshat were things they graded negatively on?

:rofl:
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

2009 orange refractor.

hawk harrelson?
    Fuck that guy!!!
  • Options
    myoung321 said:
      later.. have a nice day!  
    We made up everyone.  All good.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

2009 orange refractor.

I just pulled a card with his auto, yes it is nice.

For the record, Greg Maddux has the worst sig ever.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Who’s top 5?

Babe
    Mays
    Bonds
    Pujols
    Ryan
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Who’s top 5?

Babe
    Mays
    Bonds
    Pujols
    Ryan
    Ryan?  You're joking right?
  • Options
    So far --- Ryan is at 50 on his list and Pujols 23.
    It is one man's list - we would all argue over any list.  (Part of the fun, right?  My big beef is KGJr at 48)

No. 100: Ichiro Suzuki
    No. 99: Mike Mussina
    No. 98: Carlos Beltrán
    No. 97: Roberto Alomar
    No. 96: Larry Walker
    No. 95: Tony Gwynn
    No. 94: Roy Campanella
    No. 93: Ozzie Smith
    No. 92: Bullet Rogan
    No. 91: Mariano Rivera
    No. 90: Max Scherzer
    No. 89: Mike Piazza
    No. 88: Curt Schilling
    No. 87: Charlie Gehringer
    No. 86: Gary Carter
    No. 85: Sadaharu Oh
    No. 84: Cool Papa Bell
    No. 83: Phil Niekro
    No. 82: Kid Nichols
    No. 81: Ferguson Jenkins
    No. 80: Carlton Fisk
    No. 79: Derek Jeter
    No. 78: Clayton Kershaw
    No. 77: Miguel Cabrera
    No. 76: Willie McCovey
    No. 75: Justin Verlander
    No. 74: Frank Thomas
    No. 73: Brooks Robinson
    No. 72: Robin Roberts
    No. 71: Bert Blyleven
    No. 70: Sandy Koufax
    No. 69: Monte Irvin
    No. 68: Gaylord Perry
    No. 67: Hank Greenberg
    No. 66: Robin Yount
    No. 65: Ernie Banks
    No. 64: Johnny Mize
    No. 63: Steve Carlton
    No. 62: Smokey Joe Williams
    No. 61: Arky Vaughan
    No. 60: Pete Rose
    No. 59: Reggie Jackson
    No. 58: Jeff Bagwell
    No. 57: Rod Carew
    No. 56: Joe DiMaggio
    No. 55: Bob Feller
    No. 54: Chipper Jones
    No. 53: Buck Leonard
    No. 52: Adrián Beltré
    No. 51: Al Kaline
    No. 50: Nolan Ryan
    No. 49: Warren Spahn
    No. 48: Ken Griffey Jr.
    No. 47: Wade Boggs
    No. 46: Eddie Mathews
    No. 45: Bob Gibson
    No. 44: Cal Ripken Jr.
    No. 43: Yogi Berra
    No. 42: Jackie Robinson
    No. 41: Tom Seaver
    No. 40: Roberto Clemente
    No. 39: Nap Lajoie
    No. 38: Carl Yastrzemski
    No. 37: Pedro Martínez
    No. 36: Christy Mathewson
    No. 35: George Brett
    No. 34: Cy Young
    No. 33: Jimmie Foxx
    No. 32: Mel Ott
    No. 31: Greg Maddux
    No. 30: Johnny Bench
    No. 29: Eddie Collins
    No. 28: Randy Johnson
    No. 27: Mike Trout
    No. 26: Grover Cleveland Alexander
    No. 25: Pop Lloyd
    No. 24: Rickey Henderson
    No. 23: Albert Pujols
    No. 22: Lefty Grove
    No. 21: Joe Morgan
    No. 20: Frank Robinson
    No. 20 (tie): Mike Schmidt
    No. 18: Tris Speaker
    No. 17: Rogers Hornsby
    No. 16: Alex Rodriguez
    No. 15: Josh Gibson

• Options

Here is the top of the article, so you can get a feel for his criteria before you crap on his list:

Joe Posnanski Dec 17, 2019 273

Welcome to the Baseball 100, an absurd thing that I am doing here at The Athletic. Over the next 100 days, I will be counting down the 100 greatest baseball players in history, each with an essay. In all, this project will contain roughly as many words as “Moby Dick.”

Yes, this is a nutty thing to do.

Well, to be fair, it is my third try. A few years ago, when I had a job and a family and something of a life, I decided it would be interesting and fun to rank the 100 greatest baseball players ever. At the time, I imagined writing just a few words on each player — a paragraph or two — and spreading it out over a baseball offseason.

But it didn’t work out that way. The trouble is that I am utterly incapable of writing “just a few words” on great baseball players. And so the stories began to get longer and more involved and longer and more involved until this project overtook my every waking thought. I read multiple books on some of the players. I fell down Grand Canyon-sized rabbit holes. And it kept getting bigger and bigger — after all, if you’re going to write a couple thousand words about Duke Snider, you have to write more words on Willie McCovey, and if you’re going to write that much on McCovey, how much would you need to write about Roberto Clemente?

The series stretched out for so long that I began to find the rankings out of date. And finally, I simply ran out of time and space. The first attempt crashed around No. 30.

I began the series again last year because I got very excited about this new ranking formula that that estimable Tom Tango helped me come up with. That series flamed out more quickly.

This time, the third time, is the charm. Beginning Wednesday, Dec. 18, and ending on Opening Day, we at The Athletic will count down the 100 greatest baseball players with long essays telling many stories. And I should say that this list will include several all-time greats who never played Major League Baseball. Well, you will see.

Let me say something right at the top about the rankings themselves: You may care a lot about those. You will probably get mad when you see which players I have left out, which players I have ranked way too low or way too high. You might want me to know just how dumb I am, just how little I know about baseball, just how insulting the ranking was. I totally get it. And I totally deserve whatever you are going to say because it takes some serious gall to believe that you can really rank the 100 greatest baseball players ever.

I will add this because I think it’s important to say: I don’t care much about the rankings. Yes, I spent many, many, many hours on them. I used the Tom Tango-inspired formula, added a bunch of wrinkles, did a bunch of research and made some hard judgments that I believe in.

But the point of this for me is not the ranking but the stories. Every one of these players has a fascinating story — about persistence, about confidence, about pure talent, about amazing moments, about the lengths people will go to become quote-unquote “great.” The stories are what inspired me to do this bonkers thing. And so, with very rare exceptions, I do not even mention the ranking in these essays. There are exceptions where the player’s ranking is part of the story.

But you will not see me write something like, “Duane Kuiper is the 45th best player of all time for these four reasons.”*

*I’m joking. Duane Kuiper is not No. 45 on the Baseball 100 list. That would be ridiculous. He’s No. 77.**

**I kid. 

Because of this, I will not go into great detail about my ranking. Some of it is science, but admittedly some of it also art. I will give you a handful of guiding principles:

1. I think today’s players tend to be underrated compared to those who came before them.

2. I lean toward players who were great at their peak, even if that peak only lasted a short time, and lean away from those who were consistently but not toweringly good for a long time.

3. I lean toward players who did multiple things well over specialists (no matter how great) who basically did just one thing well.

4. I take a lot of care to make educated guesses about players whose careers were shortened by things beyond their control  — World War II, for example, or baseball’s tragic and infuriating color line. I don’t make the same adjustment for injuries. As Bill James has written, there’s a big difference. The years when Joe DiMaggio or Ted Williams or Bob Feller were at war, the years when Josh Gibson and Oscar Charleston played in the Negro Leagues, they were still the best players on earth. They just couldn’t play in the big leagues because of larger issues. When players get hurt — take Don Mattingly, for example, and his back problems — they stop being the best players in the world. I wish Donnie Baseball didn’t get hurt, we all do, but he did, and he was never quite the same player after that. That’s not the same as saying that Bob Feller lost four years when he was still the best pitcher on earth.

5. I have done a lot of research about the Negro Leagues to estimate the greatness of the players there. I try to be as unsentimental about this as I possibly can. I do not rank Satchel Paige based on dreamy views. He is exactly where I think he belongs on the list.

As for the rest: This list is a moving target. I have done it three times using different methods and the rankings are quite different. This is because there’s no significant difference between a player ranked 72 and 48 and 31. I could swap them, for the most part, without it changing much of anything. So if you believe a player ranked 97th should actually be 53rd, well, it might be that way the next time.

And finally: The toughest part of doing this list was cutting it off at 100. There are 25 or so players who I think are just as deserving to be on this list as anyone in the bottom 50. It was brutal narrowing things down, but that’s how such lists go. I want to write about the 25 players who just missed, but I can’t do that now because it would ruin some of the suspense. So maybe we’ll do that at the end.

• Options
    Top 5 hitters of all time.  In no order.

Ty Cobb
    Babe Ruth
    Barry Bonds
    Ted Williams
    Willie Mays

Last one was tough as I wasn't sure on Mays, AAron or Hornsby?

Anyone else?
  • Options
    It is one man's list - we would all argue over any list.  (Part of the fun, right?  My big beef is KGJr at 48)

If he doesn't include Sadharu Oh then he's a fraud.
  • Options

If he doesn't include Sadharu Oh then he's a fraud.

What if he put him at 85?
    ;)