Options

MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123

Tribe in 5

Not a chance. Who wants to place a wager or two?
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,435
    Halley's Comet has been seen twice since the Cubs last World Series championship.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,452
    Cubs in 6, the most.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Fuck yeah.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Francona is 8-0 in the world series. Crazy.
  • Options
    Holy crap
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Striking out 8 guys out of 9 outs really is amazing.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    It's amazing how fun Baez makes tagging
  • Options
    Just smoltz is the fucking pits. The irony in napoli's name because he can't take a nap...wtf
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678

Just smoltz is the fucking pits. The irony in napoli's name because he can't take a nap...wtf

Yeah that was the worst.

Go tribe
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501

give me smoltzie over ron darling, any fucking day.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Wobbie said:

give me smoltzie over ron darling, any fucking day.
    I like Smoltz. Definitely has his dad-joke moments but he does provide a lot of insight into different situations during the games.
  • Options
    Smoltz is a lot better then Tim MOUTHcarver. Man, he was annoying.

Now, i wish they would get rid of Joe Buck.
  • Options
    cutz said:

Smoltz is a lot better then Tim MOUTHcarver. Man, he was annoying.

Now, i wish they would get rid of Joe Buck.

I think we can all agree on that...
  • Options
    I like joe Buck. Especially for baseball.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited October 2016
    Joe Buck's awfulness is considerably overstated.

McCarver has some awesome stories, but he just talks and talks. Great for talking history of the game, but boring and forced when you're trying to focus on what's happening in a game he's calling.

The nap/Napoli thing was hilariously bad. Surely Smoltz isn't that big of a dork to think that was funny. I'm blaming the person in his earpiece. And yes, he's way better than Ron Darling, who is the baseball equivalent of Shannon Sharpe.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    DewieCox said:

Agreed. He may have been a bit of a blowhard back in the day, but he's turned into one of the best announcers out there for baseball. Him and Smoltz together are great.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited October 2016
    Yeah I never understood the hate for Buck (other than this is he era of hating everything). But at least he's embraced it. His twitter description says "I love all teams EXCEPT yours."

That said, while I think he's great for baseball, I don't think he's very good for football. But then again, every time I'm about to argue that he's not good enough to be the lead play-by-play guy for Fox, I remember that Pat Summerall used to hold that position and he was the worst ever. Boring as hell. I know that's not a popular opinion...but he fucking sucked. I'll submit his calls for Desmond Howard's Super Bowl TD and Adam Vinatieri first Super Bowl-winning kick as exhibits A and B to how bad he was. But really, everything about him sucked. Only he could make a mid-90's Cowboys/49ers game seem uninteresting.

Side-bar on Summerall (I know this is a World Series thread but now I've started on Summerall and don't have anything to do at work for another 40 minutes or so), a few years back they did a Top-100 players of all-time list on NFL Network. Distinguished football dignitaries (and Summerall) were asked to rate players on a scale of 1-10. Jerry Rice was ranked #1 and every single voter rated him a 10....except for Summerall...who gave him a 9. Cause you see, as Al Michaels explained on behalf of Summerall, Summerall thinks that nobody's perfect, so he didn't rate anybody a 10. So Pat Summerall, a KICKER with a career FG percentage of 47%, is too high and mighty to rate Jerry Rice or Jim Brown a 10. Ugh....

Indians in 5
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I agree with everyone's take on Buck. Didnt like him years ago, but he really grew on me and I think he is a top-notch sports TV pbp announcer.

Tim McCarver is/was unbearable
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    Tito is one great manager in WS play, he's STILL UNDEFEATED !

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

I agree with everyone's take on Buck. Didnt like him years ago, but he really grew on me and I think he is a top-notch sports TV pbp announcer.

If you remember when the NFL was fun a few years ago, and WR were using sharpies, and different celebrations, Buck was constantly 'appalled '. It was so fake and annoying to me. And when Moss imitated the 'mooning', Buck was so aghast at something so trivial that he lost me forever.

• Options
    haha i forgot about that
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

MayDay10 said:

If you remember when the NFL was fun a few years ago, and WR were using sharpies, and different celebrations, Buck was constantly 'appalled '. It was so fake and annoying to me. And when Moss imitated the 'mooning', Buck was so aghast at something so trivial that he lost me forever.

Buck is a lot better at baseball than football and he admits it. He is a lot more comfortable with the game. That said, that stuff was dumb, but he has gotten better.

I think he is great at baseball. Let's the game breathe and generally doesn't overdo anything. Let's the crowd often tell the story, which so many announcers don't do these days.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-fox-sports-turned-two-of-baseballs-most-famous-villains-into-great-tv-180848088.html

I am not the biggest fan of Rose on the show but he plays his part. It is clearly a good show and I think Arod is great.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    HAHA>That's funny. Imagine Bob Uecker? I'd take him over Joe Buck though. Buck has always annoyed me.
  • Options

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-fox-sports-turned-two-of-baseballs-most-famous-villains-into-great-tv-180848088.html

I am not the biggest fan of Rose on the show but he plays his part. It is clearly a good show and I think Arod is great.

Yeah, you just don't know what the hell Rose will say next. I think he's a little crazy.

Also, as much as i don't like A-Rod, the player, he is really good on the show. Heard him the other day on the WFAN, and he was good ther too.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
  • Options
    really happy I was able to go to Game 1 (and not game 2)
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

DewieCox said:

Agreed. He may have been a bit of a blowhard back in the day, but he's turned into one of the best announcers out there for baseball. Him and Smoltz together are great.
    I don't mind buck either..smoltzy is good too..no Stoney but a smotlzy!!
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"