MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• ChoccoloccotideChoccoloccotide A grass shack nailed to a pinewood floor Posts: 810
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Braves sweep the Cards :D

Nice to see after the way the last two seasons ended with these two

Glad to see the Braves make a statement after Hudson's injury. But with that being said, the Braves will surely see the Cards again in October, and then we will see if the Braves can break through. Not likely, but I will be rooting them on nonetheless.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,120
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Braves sweep the Cards :D

Nice to see after the way the last two seasons ended with these two

Glad to see the Braves make a statement after Hudson's injury. But with that being said, the Braves will surely see the Cards again in October, and then we will see if the Braves can break through. Not likely, but I will be rooting them on nonetheless.

I was at the game where Hudson's ankle snapped :o :x

I tink the Reds are going to be a tough out too
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • ChoccoloccotideChoccoloccotide A grass shack nailed to a pinewood floor Posts: 810
    Damn, I forgot about the Reds. Your right about them, they'll be a tough out. Man the playoffs should be awesome to watch this year. Can't wait.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Looks like peavy is headin to Boston and callaspo is going to the a's
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Tim Kurkjin just asked on Mike and Mike "how can this be that other people from other sports have come through biogenesis and no one cares but baseball"? Maybe because no one cares...
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,857
    thought the trades would be more impactful :yawn:

really expected my world champion giants to let some guys go.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Qualls_fall.gif
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i think arod wants some kind of farewell tour ... wants to leave the game on his own terms and not go the road like bonds ... oh well ...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Newch91 wrote:
    Qualls_fall.gif
    The Marlins don't get many chances to practice celebrating, obviously.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Jason P wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Qualls_fall.gif
    The Marlins don't get many chances to practice celebrating, obviously.

:lol::lol:
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    ZING
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,857
    bud (light) selig likes to tout his doping control but.....

the SF Chronicle uncovered BALCO (along with the DEA and IRS)

two clubhouse guys (yanks and mets) basically wrote the mitchell report

and some alternative paper in miami broke the latest story

so....."tough testing"? not so much.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    imalive wrote:
    bud (light) selig likes to tout his doping control but.....

the SF Chronicle uncovered BALCO (along with the DEA and IRS)

two clubhouse guys (yanks and mets) basically wrote the mitchell report

and some alternative paper in miami broke the latest story

so....."tough testing"? not so much.
    He's trying to boast his huge ego.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Can someone explain how the A's are winning so much?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)

moneyball and shitty division ... they get to beat up on the astros ...
  • polaris_x wrote:

moneyball and shitty division ... they get to beat up on the astros ...
    Yeah that's why they have had 8 straight winning months since last June. :fp:

They have a great group of players with good chemistry, and an even better group of young starting pitchers to go along with a good bullpen. It also doesn't hurt having one of the best managers in the game.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'

They have a great group of players with good chemistry, and an even better group of young starting pitchers to go along with a good bullpen. It also doesn't hurt having one of the best managers in the game.

they are 10-12 against the East Division, 11-9 against the central and 30-21 against the west ... i'm not saying they are horrible ... but you can't tell me their division isn't a significant reason for their record
  • polaris_x wrote:

they are 10-12 against the East Division, 11-9 against the central and 30-21 against the west ... i'm not saying they are horrible ... but you can't tell me their division isn't a significant reason for their record
    Every division has shitty teams in them, but you still have to beat them. We will see what happens the rest of the season, and if they make the post season to find out if they are for real or not. Regardless it has been a fun last season and a half to be an A's fan.
    Tell the captain
    'This boats not safe
    And we're drowning.'
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,120
    Braves are killing it right now. I hope they can continue the streak tonight.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Mark Cuban criticizes A-Rod suspension

http://thescore.com/mlb/articles/124900 ... suspension

Mark Cuban, flamboyant billionaire and owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks, expressed his displeasure with the harsh penalty levied on Alex Rodriguez during a Thursday appearance on The Tonight Show.
    Rodriguez was handed a 211-game suspension by Major League Baseball on Monday for his involvement with the Biogenesis clinic.
    "Horrible. No, I think it’s disgraceful what Major League Baseball is trying to do to him," Cuban said of Rodriguez. "Not that he doesn’t deserve to be suspended, he does. But they have policies in place. First time offenders… 50 games, second time 100. 214 games? That’s personal…"
    Cuban's ire was directed largely at MLB commissioner Bud Selig, accusing the longtime executive of questionable business practices. Cuban unsuccessfully attempted to buy the Texas Rangers in a bankruptcy auction back in 2010.
    "It’s basically become Bud Selig’s mafia. He runs it the way he wants to run it… When I was trying to buy the Rangers, it was an open auction. And I sat in there with my good hard-earned money trying to bid and they did everything possible to keep me from buying the team. They had lawyers in their trying to change the rules, they had people trying to put up more money… it was horrible!"
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    The Tigers are on a roll ... 12 game winning streak. Getting great starting pitching, the bullpen seems to have settled down a little. Need to get Prince and Jackson to get hitting a little better. But what a great FA signing was Tori Hunter, can't say enough good about him. The sabre metrics vs. old school are starting to debate Trout and Cabrera again ... I wouldn't forget about Max Sherzer ... if he wins 25 or more he quite possibly could be in the MVP mix.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,821
    Rios to the Rangers.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Pete Rose -- great player, but he says the stupidest things.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/pete ... ter-081213

Disgraced baseball icon Pete Rose recently advised Alex Rodriguez and other players who have run afoul of baseball's PED ban that they should come clean, saying baseball's all about giving second chances.

Early this morning, he expanded on the topic during a radio chat with 93.7 The Fan’s John Phillips.

To sum it up, Rose, who was banished from baseball for betting on games during his time as a manager for the Cincinnati Reds, says he'd have been beter off if he'd used drugs, been an alcoholic or assaulted his wife or girlfriend.

"I made mistakes. I can’t whine about it. I’m the one that messed up and I’m paying the consequences. However, if I am given a second chance, I won’t need a third chance. And to be honest with you, I picked the wrong vice. I should have picked alcohol. I should have picked drugs or I should have picked up beating up my wife or girlfriend because if you do those three, you get a second chance. They haven’t given too many gamblers a second chances in the world of baseball,” said Rose.

Rose, the game's all-time hits leader, was banned in 1989 by then commissioner Bart Giamatti.

He didn't publicly admit to betting on baseball until 2004, when he released an autobiography "My Prison Without Bars."

Reinstatement rumors have persisted over the years, but MLB has shown no inclination to bring him back into the fold.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. -- Major League Baseball decided Thursday to implement instant replay on virtually every play but the strikezone - including three manager's challenges per game - that will begin in 2014, Commissioner Bud Selig announced.

"It's a historic day,'' Selig said.

MLB vice president Joe Torre, Atlanta Braves president John Schuerholz and advisor Tony La Russa presented the all-encompassing replay proposal to the 30 ownership groups, which was widely accepted, Selig said, and expected to be formalized at their quarterly owners' meetings Nov. 13-14 in Orlando, Fla.

The replay will include up to three challenges that mangers will be provided during a game, one in the first six innings, and two beginning in the seventh inning through the game's duration. If a manager is successful with his replay challenge, he will not be charged with a review.

If a manager exhausts his three challenges, and umpire crew can make a review of its own only to determine home-run calls, a rule that will be grandfathered in with the new regulations.

Baseball, using its central MLBAM offices in New York, will be provided with replay cameras that will be monitored by men with umpiring experience. They will make the final call on disputed plays, not the crew chief.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ml ... d/2659555/
    I am about to yell

WHY IS IT SO FUCKING DIFFICULT TO JUST HAVE AN UMPIRE IN A BOOTH THAT CAN BUZZ DOWN IF THEY GET IT WRONG? FUCK THE STUPID CHALLENGE SYSTEM. JUST GET IT RIGHT.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I am about to yell

WHY IS IT SO FUCKING DIFFICULT TO JUST HAVE AN UMPIRE IN A BOOTH THAT CAN BUZZ DOWN IF THEY GET IT WRONG? FUCK THE STUPID CHALLENGE SYSTEM. JUST GET IT RIGHT.

answer: bud selig
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I am about to yell

answer: bud selig

Point taken...ugh.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,927
    You're not complaining about that "foul" ball down the line in 2009 right, buddy?
    You're not complaining about that "foul" ball down the line in 2009 right, buddy?

Nah, starting this year
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,927
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Nah, starting this year

Well, of course.