MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    :fp: is what the Angels are gonna be doing in a few years. You would think they learned their lesson when a rookie was the best player on their team, and not the guy they spent $250mil on.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    The trade with Dickey if it happens with the Jays, is certainly not a huge haul in my opinion for the Mets. I guess it's better than nothing though.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i believe alex has pushed all-in ...
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    DS1119 wrote:
    The trade with Dickey if it happens with the Jays, is certainly not a huge haul in my opinion for the Mets. I guess it's better than nothing though.
    Its pretty damn good imo. They got 2 of the 3 top prospects in a deep Jays farm team.
    D'Arnaud is considered to be the top prospect in baseball I believe.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Its pretty damn good imo. They got 2 of the 3 top prospects in a deep Jays farm team.

The Blue Jays top prospect but not of all baseball.
    DS1119 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Your right, he's the top catching prospect.
    Still, I have zero problem with this trade. The mets should have been in rebuild mode two years ago. Even with Dickey they werent going anywhere.

This Snydergaard kid has high potential to be a front line pitcher with ridiculous heat.
    Still, I have zero problem with this trade. The mets should have been in rebuild mode two years ago. Even with Dickey they werent going anywhere.

This Snydergaard kid has high potential to be a front line pitcher with ridiculous heat.

I actually thought they needed to deal him at the deadline last year but yes he needed to be moved.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    That's a good haul for the mets. Dude is good, may not stick at catcher but he's gonna be good
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,401
    DS1119 wrote:

Still, I have zero problem with this trade. The mets should have been in rebuild mode two years ago.

so, the mets haven't been in rebuild mode these past few years? :fp: :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    DS1119 wrote:

Still, I have zero problem with this trade. The mets should have been in rebuild mode two years ago.

so, the mets haven't been in rebuild mode these past few years? :fp: :lol:
    No, not when they should have traded Reyes for players/picks...and not when they could have traded Santana for something.
    I mean full on start from scratch. They were not in that mode 2 yrs ago.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,861
    new territory for me....buster olney's offseason power ranking: :mrgreen:

But with the trade of R.A. Dickey, it appears the heavy lifting of the winter is all but over, and with winter solstice right around the corner, we present our first official offseason power rankings:

1. San Francisco Giants

The World Series champ has been king of the mountain two of the past three seasons, and unlike last spring, there are no significant overriding questions. Buster Posey demonstrated he is all the way back. Even without Tim Lincecum pitching at a Cy Young level, the Giants' pitching staff is deep, and they re-signed Angel Pagan and Marco Scutaro. Time will tell what kind of condition Pablo Sandoval will be when he arrives in spring training, but the Panda wasn't exactly svelte when the Giants won the World Series two months ago. They've earned this spot.

2. Washington Nationals

They added Denard Span to the top of an already deep lineup. If Bryce Harper's numbers in the last month are a sign of what's to come -- the guy had a 1.043 OPS down the stretch -- he could be a monster at age 20 after having the best season of any 19-year-old in history. And Stephen Strasburg's innings count will climb to 190 or so, at the front of an outstanding rotation. They could still sign Adam LaRoche and J.P. Howell, but either way, Washington will go into next season as the favorite to win the NL East.

3. Detroit Tigers

The Tigers were good enough to make it to the World Series, and rival evaluators assume they will play better in 2013. The addition of outfielder Torii Hunter will improve their defense, at the very least, and if the Tigers get full seasons out of the very underrated Doug Fister and Anibal Sanchez behind Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer in the rotation, they could roll through the AL Central in a way that everybody expected last year. Oh, by the way, they get Victor Martinez back from his knee surgery, to serve as the DH and bat fifth.

4. Cincinnati Reds

GM Walt Jocketty filled the only significant hole on the roster, adding a leadoff hitter in Shin-Soo Choo, and while rival evaluators don't believe Choo is good enough defensively to hold down center field, he makes them better. The Reds already have a deep rotation, with Aroldis Chapman joining the group and with Homer Bailey seemingly on the cusp of taking his performance to the next level, and Cincinnati has a really good bullpen.

5. Oakland Athletics

The defending AL West champions will have a more experienced Yoenis Cespedes in the middle of their lineup, and Brett Anderson at the front of their rotation all season long. The A's pitching staff finished second in the AL in ERA last season, and over the second half of the season, the offense led the majors in runs scored. Their defense got even better with the addition of CF Chris Young. The Athletics don't have as much money as the Angels or Rangers, but they appear to be the best team in the division.

6. Los Angeles D**gers

You can pick holes in this team, starting with the left side of the infield, and it might not be a good sign that manager Don Mattingly is talking about how the pressure on the team isn't really fair to the players. But you can't get around this: The Dodgers have a whole lot of good players, from Clayton Kershaw to Zack Greinke to Matt Kemp to Adrian Gonzalez. Overall, the Dodgers have 10 players who make $11 million or more.

7. St. Louis Cardinals

The Cardinals have seamlessly transitioned from the era of Albert Pujols and Tony La Russa. Allen Craig has become a really good major league hitter, a strong complement to Matt Holliday and Carlos Beltran, and Adam Wainwright figures to be better in his second full season removed from elbow surgery. But the bullpen might turn out to be the best part of this team, now that Trevor Rosenthal has seemingly become a major weapon.

8. Toronto Blue Jays

As written here yesterday, they are the best on-paper team in the AL East and could take another long stride forward if Jose Bautista stays healthy and Brett Lawrie evolves.

9. Atlanta Braves

It's the first year without Chipper Jones, who was still a really good offensive player in 2012. But they have so many talented, young players that the Braves can feel good about their chances for getting better -- from the world's best closer, Craig Kimbrel, to Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman, to Mike Minor. Brandon Beachy figures to be back sometime this season, as well.

10. New York Yankees

The Yankees haven't gotten better this offseason, for sure. But remember, they won 95 games last year and should have a pretty good rotation, with CC Sabathia, Hiroki Kuroda, Andy Pettitte, Phil Hughes and either Ivan Nova or Michael Pineda. The biggest question hovering over this team is the same as last winter: How much of a toll will age take on the Yankees? Alex Rodriguez is having a hip operation and might not give them much at all, and there will be a time when age finally catches up with Derek Jeter; maybe that'll be in 2013, or maybe later. Given the structure of the club's lineup and payroll, this much is certain: They desperately need more production from Mark Teixeira.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    mets have actually made some nice trades over the last couple of years...getting wheeler, d'arnaud, and syndergaard. harvey is going to be a beast too. I miss minaya
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    DS1119 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Yeah, from what I have read Jurickson Profar (Texas), Dylan Bundy (Orioles), and Will Myers (Rays) are the top three, but the order changes from list to list. D'Arnaud is usually in the top 10 though. Saw on mlb network this morning that they were comparing him to Buster Posey..only time will tell though. I think the trade works for both sides
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    why so little chatter about kyle lohse?

the dude was 18 and fucking 3 last year :shock:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Apparently Edwin Jackson is about to get 4 years and $52M from the Cubs. Crazy to me that guys with .500 career records and career 4.00 ERA are worth $12-13M per year.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Apparently Edwin Jackson is about to get 4 years and $52M from the Cubs. Crazy to me that guys with .500 career records and career 4.00 ERA are worth $12-13M per year.

dickey at $10 mill a year is becoming more and more of a bargain ...
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Apparently Edwin Jackson is about to get 4 years and $52M from the Cubs. Crazy to me that guys with .500 career records and career 4.00 ERA are worth $12-13M per year.

Cliche as it is his numbers have never matched his stuff. I agree though, too much by a lot.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Cliche as it is his numbers have never matched his stuff. I agree though, too much by a lot.

Oh yeah, the guy definitely has great stuff. I enjoyed watching him pitch some of the time when he was with the White Sox. Some days he would just flat out dominate. Other days not so much. Feels like the league is full of guys like this. And they all make $10M+ per year. Crazy.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    i was watching the ken burns 10th inning Baseball doc last night.

one thing that bugged me that i didn't notice before: the music was all wrong. in all previous installments, the music he played matched up with the era that was being discussed. the 10th inning is just all over the place. only song that i noticed from the 90's was petty's You Wreck Me (i'm sure there were others but i didn't notice).

apparently mr. burns doesn't have any love for the 90's music. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    I wonder if the Rays are out of contention by the deadline this season what he will command on the trade market. :think:

http://t.foxsports.msn.com/mlb/report-r ... 10m-deal-1
    I can tell you right now, the HOF vote is going to piss me off....the same guys who voted clemens 7 cys and barry 7 MVPs are now going to pull a big "we didn't know" :roll:

they say biggio is the best shot to get in....he should, he deserves it....but, from tim kurkjian:

"This is the enduring image of Craig Biggio: sitting at his locker after a game, his No. 7 Astros jersey covered with dirt in a pile next to him, the picture of exhaustion. His cut-off, sleeveless T-shirt displays a gun show seldom seen on a second baseman, the rest of him is a chaotic mass of eye black, pine tar, bruises and abrasions, a snapshot of his nightly commitment."

"gun show"? :think: my guess would be biggio used too. he had tons of teammates who have been implicated. he was just smarter than bonds, sosa and mcgwire in that he didn't parade around in sleeveless half shirts.

a lot of guys are borderline. a HOF w/o bonds, clemens and rose is a joke.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Name Votes (Pct.) Yrs on ballot
    Craig Biggio 388 (68.2%) 1
    Jack Morris 385 (67.7%) 14
    Jeff Bagwell 339 (59.6%) 3
    Mike Piazza 329 (57.8%) 1
    Tim Raines 297 (52.2%) 6
    Lee Smith 272 (47.8%) 11
    Curt Schilling 221 (38.8%) 1
    Roger Clemens 214 (37.6%) 1
    Barry Bonds 206 (36.2%) 1
    Edgar Martinez 204 (35.9%) 4
    Alan Trammell 191 (33.6%) 12
    Larry Walker 123 (21.6%) 3
    Fred McGriff 118 (20.7%) 4
    Dale Murphy 106 (18.6%) 15
    Mark McGwire 96 (16.9%) 7
    Don Mattingly 75 (13.2%) 13
    Sammy Sosa 71 (12.5%) 1
    Rafael Palmeiro 50 (8.8%) 3
    Bernie Williams 19 (3.3%) 2
    Kenny Lofton 18 (3.2%) 1
    Sandy Alomar Jr. 16 (2.8%) 1
    Julio Franco 6 (1.1%) 1
    David Wells 5 (0.9%) 1
    Steve Finley 4 (0.7%) 1
    Shawn Green 2 (0.4%) 1
    Aaron Sele 1 (0.2%) 1
    Jeff Cirillo 0 (0%) 1
    Royce Clayton 0 (0%) 1
    Jeff Conine 0 (0%) 1
    Roberto Hernandez 0 (0%) 1
    Ryan Klesko 0 (0%) 1
    Jose Mesa 0 (0%) 1
    Reggie Sanders 0 (0%) 1
    Mike Stanton 0 (0%) 1
    Todd Walker 0 (0%) 1
    Rondell White 0 (0%) 1
    Woody Williams 0 (0%) 1
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Jack Morris isn't in the HOF? I thought he was already.

How does no one make it this year? I didn't think that was possible.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,747
    imalive wrote:
    I can tell you right now, the HOF vote is going to piss me off....the same guys who voted clemens 7 cys and barry 7 MVPs are now going to pull a big "we didn't know" :roll:

they say biggio is the best shot to get in....he should, he deserves it....but, from tim kurkjian:

"This is the enduring image of Craig Biggio: sitting at his locker after a game, his No. 7 Astros jersey covered with dirt in a pile next to him, the picture of exhaustion. His cut-off, sleeveless T-shirt displays a gun show seldom seen on a second baseman, the rest of him is a chaotic mass of eye black, pine tar, bruises and abrasions, a snapshot of his nightly commitment."

"gun show"? :think: my guess would be biggio used too. he had tons of teammates who have been implicated. he was just smarter than bonds, sosa and mcgwire in that he didn't parade around in sleeveless half shirts.

a lot of guys are borderline. a HOF w/o bonds, clemens and rose is a joke.

As much as i liked watching Biggio play, i just don't think he's a HOFer. .281 career BA and doesn't have the power numbers(avgeraged 17 HR & 67 RBI's/yr.Not bad for a 2nd-baseman though). What was he dominant in? Doubles? . HBP?> :lol:

I agree about Bonds, Clemens & Rose(the player, NOT the manager> :lol: )
    Newch91 wrote:

it's happened before
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,725
    Newch91 wrote:

it's happened before

year? or shall we post that in the baseball trivia thread?

Yeah out of all they players eligible, i would have thought Morris would have gotten in.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC