MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• So, more card talk.  Fanatics is in line to have Baseball, Football and Basketball licensing.  Not sure if they will go after Hockey or not.

So that is 3 of the major sports companies licensing owned by 1 company.  What could possibly go wrong?  

And to whomever said they hope cards came back, they did.  Just not for your 1991 Topps set.  Those were the "Junk card" era where the print runs ran off the presses.  There is no shortage of them anywhere.  From 1986-around 02.  There is no shortage, lol.  But there are some cool variations of the 1991 out there.  The card backs are full of surprises.  I would recommend you do some reading on them as it is quite amusing.  Here is one but look up some others as this is just the tip of the iceberg.  My guess is that like etchings, the printing plates wear out so alterations were made to either the old ones or had newer ones made hence all the variations.  Card stock plays apart too much like the early Garpage Pail kids where they printed them on whatever they could find, lol.

https://www.beckett.com/news/junk-wax-journeys-1991-topps-baseball/

To the above that posted Kent Tekulve, I love you.  He was one of the coolest baseball players to me back in the day with those Pirates outfits.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited September 2021
    Tekulve looks like a cheesy 70s show cop had to go under cover as a major league pitcher

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    edited September 2021
    MayDay10 said:
    Tekulve looks like a cheesy 70s show cop had to go under cover as a major league pitcher

He needs a gut and he could be a dude from the local mens league, throwing change ups like that.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MayDay10 said:

MayDay10 said:

He needs a gut and he could be a dude from the local mens league, throwing change ups like that.
    You two both suck and are going to hell for disrespecting Kent like that. WS winner.  3 saves in the series.  Submarine delivery.  Man you guys are brutal...

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    That picture is what is brutal.
    :lol:
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    So, more card talk.  Fanatics is in line to have Baseball, Football and Basketball licensing.  Not sure if they will go after Hockey or not.

So that is 3 of the major sports companies licensing owned by 1 company.  What could possibly go wrong?  

And to whomever said they hope cards came back, they did.  Just not for your 1991 Topps set.  Those were the "Junk card" era where the print runs ran off the presses.  There is no shortage of them anywhere.  From 1986-around 02.  There is no shortage, lol.  But there are some cool variations of the 1991 out there.  The card backs are full of surprises.  I would recommend you do some reading on them as it is quite amusing.  Here is one but look up some others as this is just the tip of the iceberg.  My guess is that like etchings, the printing plates wear out so alterations were made to either the old ones or had newer ones made hence all the variations.  Card stock plays apart too much like the early Garpage Pail kids where they printed them on whatever they could find, lol.

To the above that posted Kent Tekulve, I love you.  He was one of the coolest baseball players to me back in the day with those Pirates outfits.
    Bought a few packs of Topps Allen & Ginter. These are the weirdest cards I’ve ever seen. Along with ballplayers from every era, I’ve got a bunch of half cards, a Blue Spruce(I can only presume rookie card) and the ever celebrated Humback Whale.
  • DewieCox said:
    So, more card talk.  Fanatics is in line to have Baseball, Football and Basketball licensing.  Not sure if they will go after Hockey or not.

Bought a few packs of Topps Allen & Ginter. These are the weirdest cards I’ve ever seen. Along with ballplayers from every era, I’ve got a bunch of half cards, a Blue Spruce(I can only presume rookie card) and the ever celebrated Humback Whale.
    Those are called "minis".  A&G is a great product to open.  Super fun as it's not just baseball.  I once pulled a packet of Sea Monkeys from it as an "oddity".  Loved it.  they have had fossils and even butterflys as part of an Entomologists sub set.  Really fun stuff.  The basball minis you check the backs as they could have rare backs like the old T-206 cards.  Look for A&G. no number and Bazooka backs on those.

Another favorite of mine is the Gypsy Queen set.  The variations are like Heritage in that they have a bunch so it's fun to search them.
  • Oh another thing.  Allen & Ginter cards were first introduced in cigarette packs in the 1880's.  They pre date the T-206 cards.

Pretty neat huh?
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Yeah, Gypsy Queen are sharp cards... not the greatest as far as value/hit quantity, but among the better looking cards.

I like Gypsy Queen, Stadium Club, and Heritage as far as fun stuff to open and look at.  A&G is OK, but a little too zany
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I’ve got a pack of GQ too. Nice classic looking cards.

The A&G’s are fun as hell to tear into. Not a huge score but got a Realmuto game used jersey insert.
  • MayDay10 said:
    Yeah, Gypsy Queen are sharp cards... not the greatest as far as value/hit quantity, but among the better looking cards.

I like Gypsy Queen, Stadium Club, and Heritage as far as fun stuff to open and look at.  A&G is OK, but a little too zany
    DewieCox said:
    I’ve got a pack of GQ too. Nice classic looking cards.

The A&G’s are fun as hell to tear into. Not a huge score but got a Realmuto game used jersey insert.
    So I have slowly been collecting Mike Trout Bazooka backs from GQ.  Tough pulls and priced reasonable for about $60 but you have the loonies that throw cards up and they never sell.

There is a guy whom I have talked to for the past 3 months and his card hasn't sold.  They would rather hold the card and ignore the other previous sales than sell it for below their listed price.

I don't understand how a person makes any money with that type of logic.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Kent Tekulve is a god damned American treasure!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I'm not a fan of Gypsy Queen. I respect the classic tobacco card design style, but the modern day version of GQ is way too gaudy lookin' for me.  Prefer the more subtle look of A&G, and especially love the minis for that true tobacco card feel.  And I actually enjoy all the quirky subsets with trees, farm animals, tools, gems, etc.  A&G cards were like that back in the 19th century.
    Also like Heritage and Archives simply for the call back to vintage Topps sets.
    Honestly, my favorite current set is Topps Big League.  It just reminds me of collecting cards when I was a kid. Has that simple, early 80's style to it.

But, I'm not a set collector these days.  Just player PC's.  So rarely do I buy packs (can't find 'em anyway).
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    edited September 2021
    Big series with the Yankees and Jays coming up. Jays have played 4 games less the Red Sox and are 4 games back of the final wild card spot. Looks like there will be 5 teams in the chase and should be a fun finish to the season. 

After game edit: Gained a game on both the Yankees and Redsox. Springer still looks hurt again but great effort by the Jays.
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Wander Franco.  What a great young player I hope he becomes.  He might sneak up and win RC of the year if he continues this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/rays-rookie-sensation-wander-franco-ties-mickey-mantle-s-on-base-streak/ar-AAOc6Jq?li=BB15ms5q
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he is really 25 years old.  :lol:
    Seriously, though, I have him on (I believe) every fantasy team I have.  Most I had him drafted and kept him on the bench until he was brought up.  Think he is awesome.
  • I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he is really 25 years old.  :lol:
    Seriously, though, I have him on (I believe) every fantasy team I have.  Most I had him drafted and kept him on the bench until he was brought up.  Think he is awesome.
    I was looking for him and wondered what a-hole picked someone who wasn't brought up yet and it was you...  A-hole, lol.

He and soto are not their real ages.  No way.  Love this kid and Rutschman and Julio and Kelenic.  Kelenic will bounce back though.  Too much talent and plus since the Mets traded him away he is destined for Cooperstown then.
    Guilty as charged!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Awesome walk off by the Astros last night. So glad to have Bregman back in the lineup!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    So…..everyone is going gaga over poo-holes…dude Is hitting .198 with an OBP of .250 and the fucking dodgers pick him up to let him pad his stats. Meanwhile, Barry Bonds hits .280ish with 28 HRS, leads the league in OBP and walks in his final year, says he’ll play for for the minimum, and he’s blackballed…4 RBI short or 2000 and 65 hits short of 3000,

and if big slioppy goes to the Hall, I’m gonna fucking lose it!!!!!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    two tool player….like sloppi.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    edited September 2021
    Imagine the amount of bronze they would have to use for Bond’s HOF bust…. Gigantic 

or is MLB a plaque? And the NFL has the heads?
    Post edited by erebus on
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • erebus said:
    Imagine the amount of bronze they would have to use for Bond’s HOF bust…. Gigantic 

or is MLB a plaque? And the NFL has the heads?
    I'm soooo tired of hearing the big head argument.  Was your head the same size when you were 20?  Jeters head got bigger too when he got in his 30's.  Did he juice?
  • Wander Franco now has reached base 37 times consecutively.  Impressive.  He holds rare air w Mantle at 36 and Robinson w 43. This is for 20yo and younger.

That is some elite company he shares.
    Had the same fitted hat size since 18 or 19.  

• Had the same fitted hat size since 18 or 19.  

Mine sure isn't.  I was 135lbs when I was 18/19 and fit.  At 32 I was 185 and fit.  

My body didn't stop growing until 32.  Some people peak later.
  • On another note... Trout won't be back this year.  Another season wasted...
    edited September 2021
    Had the same fitted hat size since 18 or 19.  

Mine sure isn't.  I was 135lbs when I was 18/19 and fit.  At 32 I was 185 and fit.  

No sense in anyone denying Bonds was a juicer.  It is known.  The fact that his hat size changed from when he signed with the Giants at age 28 to when he was subject to all of this negative press does not prove anything....but it is just another log on the fire.
    The sites I found doing a simple google search all seemed to indicate that growth of the skull stops around age 20 but none were worthy of posting here as they were not what I would judge as medical sites.
    No care to dig any deeper given what we all know -- Bonds was a roider. 
  • Had the same fitted hat size since 18 or 19.  

No sense in anyone denying Bonds was a juicer.  It is known.  The fact that his hat size changed from when he signed with the Giants at age 28 to when he was subject to all of this negative press does not prove anything....but it is just another log on the fire.
    The sites I found doing a simple google search all seemed to indicate that growth of the skull stops around age 20 but none were worthy of posting here as they were not what I would judge as medical sites.
    No care to dig any deeper given what we all know -- Bonds was a roider. 
    Bonds juiced sure.  I just am not believeing that his head got bigger because of it.

He and Arod are still the best 2 ball players I have ever seen hit.  Pujols is third.