MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    I wonder how they're going to do this from someone who mostly kept to himself. Something tells me there won't be a Pearl Jam song at the end of this though 

I miss igotid88
    edited May 2021
    Let's go back to no fans at the parks
    I miss igotid88
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    igotid88 said:
    I wonder how they're going to do this from someone who mostly kept to himself. Something tells me there won't be a Pearl Jam song at the end of this though 

After his 3rd or 4th ring Jeter says to Yogi Gerra "I want as many as you have, I'm going for that."

Yogi replied "Won't happen"

Jeter also said that 5 of them didn't count because how the playoffs were arranged at first to which Berra replied "If you're that bad at math you can come over to my house to count them."
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited May 2021
    After breaking one of those dumb unwritten rules last night by swatting a homer on a 3-0 pitch with a big lead in the 9th,  Mercedes gets a pitch thrown behind him by Twins Duffy and Duffy gets immediately tossed.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Also, down goes Trout and the pitcher dominated season continues with another no-no. First time since 1917 there have been this many so early in the season.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    tbergs said:
    After breaking one of those dumb unwritten rules last night by swatting a homer on a 3-0 pitch with a big lead in the 9th,  Mercedes gets a pitch thrown behind him by Twins Duffy and Duffy gets immediately tossed.

The best/worst was that the fucking fossil known as Tony LaRussa was livid with the player and also said he had no issue with throwing behind.

Fuck that.  You put in a softball pitcher, guys unload on him.  Have fun, give the fans a show. 
    Don't want to see it?  Use actual pitchers.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    tbergs said:

The best/worst was that the fucking fossil known as Tony LaRussa was livid with the player and also said he had no issue with throwing behind.

Fuck that.  You put in a softball pitcher, guys unload on him.  Have fun, give the fans a show. 

Exactly.

You want him out?  Pitch better.

I'm supposed to give you a free strike on a 3-0 count?

f that.

Flippin my bat and trotting around the bases too.
    Fucking Trout... Another damn injury of multiple weeks?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    tbergs said:

Exactly.

You want him out?  Pitch better.

I'm supposed to give you a free strike on a 3-0 count?

f that.

Flippin my bat and trotting around the bases too.
    Fucking Trout... Another damn injury of multiple weeks?

I like what Tim Anderson had to say there.

As we (mostly) all agreed when they hired him, LaRussa is not gonna be long there.  Fossil boy doesn't fit with this young & fun team.

Yeah, Trout being out sucks. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    tbergs said:

What an absolute fucking joke.  LaRussa is such a clown...doesn't even have his own players backs.  He's defending the other team throwing behind one of his best players.  Unreal.  This team is too damn good to fall apart because of this crusty old fuck....they'll win the division in spite of him.  

Also- how soft are the Twins for throwing behind him???  You put a guy in there throwing 47 mph what the hell do you think is going to happen???  All this talk about respecting the game....then don't put a backup catcher in there to pitch who can't even throw 50.  The whole thing is so absurd.  
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    tbergs said:

What an absolute fucking joke.  LaRussa is such a clown...doesn't even have his own players backs.  He's defending the other team throwing behind one of his best players.  Unreal.  This team is too damn good to fall apart because of this crusty old fuck....they'll win the division in spite of him.  

Also- how soft are the Twins for throwing behind him???  You put a guy in there throwing 47 mph what the hell do you think is going to happen???  All this talk about respecting the game....then don't put a backup catcher in there to pitch who can't even throw 50.  The whole thing is so absurd.  
    Spot on. LaRussa is a jackass and that unwritten rule is complete bullshit. If you get a meatball thrown at you no matter the count, mash it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    This is all hilarious, but a shame for the White Sox.  Glad they are good.  I mean, I knew it was a bad hire, but I didn't think he'd lose the clubhouse before memorial day.
    This is all hilarious, but a shame for the White Sox.  Glad they are good.  I mean, I knew it was a bad hire, but I didn't think he'd lose the clubhouse before memorial day.

Wouldn't that have been the cut line if we threw out a prop bet, though?
    Given how much we shit on the guy and the hire I am thinking we have have taken the under there.  :lol:   

Twins are Super Soft

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Just nabbed Blue Jays/Astros tickets for a couple games next month in Buffalo.  Super pumped
    MayDay10 said:
    Just nabbed Blue Jays/Astros tickets for a couple games next month in Buffalo.  Super pumped
    Go Yordan and Bregman!
    Go Bichette and Guerrero Jr!
    edited May 2021
    MayDay10 said:
    Nice.
    It still stings seeing Springer in a different uniform. Hope he heals up soon, though!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121

I think home runs and hitting going down may be more attributed to players no longer knowing what the pitch is going to be … I believe the Astros took the fall for cheating, but since they had success and were not getting punished, probably over half the teams were either implementing or starting to implement a sign stealing system by the time MLB kinda took action.  HR were down last year before this talk of a “new ball” leading to a decrease in hitting.  If I recall, the increase in HR in 2019 were attributed by players due to a “new ball”.

I think knowing what a pitch was prior to it being thrown is a more obvious causation.

Wouldn't that have been the cut line if we threw out a prop bet, though?
    Given how much we shit on the guy and the hire I am thinking we have have taken the under there.  :lol:   

Twins are Super Soft

This is a fair point. I would have taken the over.

I meeeean, how could the Twins not do something considering how big of a deal the fossil made it? But yeah, generally agreed
    Jason P said:

I think home runs and hitting going down may be more attributed to players no longer knowing what the pitch is going to be … I believe the Astros took the fall for cheating, but since they had success and were not getting punished, probably over half the teams were either implementing or starting to implement a sign stealing system by the time MLB kinda took action.  HR were down last year before this talk of a “new ball” leading to a decrease in hitting.  If I recall, the increase in HR in 2019 were attributed by players due to a “new ball”.

I think knowing what a pitch was prior to it being thrown is a more obvious causation.

Placement or the art of pitching is making a comeback and will replace power pitching.  I know I have mentioned this on here.  

Batters not caring about small ball.  HR or bust, has something to do with it too.  Not everyone is DJ Lemeihu.

I know they deadened the ball or so they say but tell that to Ohtani whom hit it dead center at 440'.
    With all the veterans and personalities they have on the roster they're not going to let this fossil of a manager ruin this season.  He can go on his rants to the media about unwritten rules but these guys are just going to keep playing hard and having fun.  
    With all the veterans and personalities they have on the roster they're not going to let this fossil of a manager ruin this season.  He can go on his rants to the media about unwritten rules but these guys are just going to keep playing hard and having fun.  
    I am pretty sure everyone on here was in agreement that LaRussa SHOULD NOT be their coach?
    I am pretty sure everyone on here was in agreement that LaRussa SHOULD NOT be their coach?
    Yup, I think you're right.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Oh yeah definitely.  I just don't think this nonsense is going to cause the Sox season to go off the rails.  He may have "lost" the locker room but I don't think it's going to effect what happens on the field was my point.
    Oh yeah definitely.  I just don't think this nonsense is going to cause the Sox season to go off the rails.  He may have "lost" the locker room but I don't think it's going to effect what happens on the field was my point.
    I agree. They'll still have a great season and he'll still be a shitty fit for the job.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Agree he is a dope and has no place still being a manager.  Guessing he is shitfaced most of the time, anyway.  
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    mfc2006 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Nice.
    It still stings seeing Springer in a different uniform. Hope he heals up soon, though!
    Im going to have to pinch myself.  Being that close and seeing guys like Correa and Bichette, Altuve, Guerrero Jr, etc... from that close in such an intimate setting in my (non MLB) hometown in games that matter?  Holy shit!

Going to try for Orioles tickets for later next month when they get released.  Hopefully the Canada restrictions continue.  I can see myself going to many games.  The hot tickets in town are the Yankees and Red Sox and frankly, those are 2 teams I care to see the least.
    No hitters are becoming as often as strikeouts. Not becoming special 
    I miss igotid88
    also agree with LaRussa. He gave him a take sign. He didn't obey the order. 
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    There is something to this, but the entire concept of a coach telling a player when and when not to swing is antiquated.  Their career relies on their numbers.  They should be the ones that decide when they swing
    igotid88 said:
    There is something to this, but the entire concept of a coach telling a player when and when not to swing is antiquated.  Their career relies on their numbers.  They should be the ones that decide when they swing
    yea but the manager has to have some say. They're losing a lot of their power over the years. 
    I miss igotid88