Options

1st Time in Seattle

rattzeyrattzey Posts: 875
edited April 2008 in The Porch
Hey guys,

It's my wife and I 's first time to Seattle, we are going to see the Seeds of Compasion Concert and are coming in on Thursday. We are staying about a 10 min walk from Pike's Place Market, we are both lovers of music especially Pearl jam and of course food/wine/beer. Where should we go eat (seafood/wine) and what are some cool music shops (I am a poster freak) and Live music bars.

Thanks for all the help in andvance fellow 10Cer's
Walkin on a slippery sidewalk listening to P.J
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Easy Street Records in West Seattle. an easy one. The first starbucks in in Pike Place, and there's a good burger king by the airport.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    The Showbox is right by Pike Place Market - check it out, have a drink at The Green Room. Enjoy the local brews; Pike Brewery has some good beers. Benaroya Hall is a couple blocks up the street from The Showbox. Go down to the piers on the waterfront, lots of good seafood and whatnot to eat. Go to the Seattle Center and check out the Space Needle - take the elevator to the observation deck.
  • Options
    Inhiding230Inhiding230 Posts: 362
    I am also going to Seattle for the first time next Thursday. My fiance is in town for the week with the tour he is on, so he is flying me out there for a long weekend. We are staying at the Paramount Hotel (his tour pays for his room). I know we are going to visit these falls one day: http://www.snoqualmiefalls.com/

I'm not sure what else we are going to do, but I am sure we will shop and eat at the market somewhere.

I am excited! Hope you enjoy :)
  • Options
    seren327 wrote:
    I am also going to Seattle for the first time next Thursday. My fiance is in town for the week with the tour he is on, so he is flying me out there for a long weekend. We are staying at the Paramount Hotel (his tour pays for his room). I know we are going to visit these falls one day: http://www.snoqualmiefalls.com/

I'm not sure what else we are going to do, but I am sure we will shop and eat at the market somewhere.

I am excited! Hope you enjoy :)
    Snoqualmie Falls is great! I was just there in Sept of last year. Been there many times throughout my life. Take the short hike down to the bottom, it worth it.
  • Options
    Inhiding230Inhiding230 Posts: 362
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Snoqualmie Falls is great! I was just there in Sept of last year. Been there many times throughout my life. Take the short hike down to the bottom, it worth it.

I will make sure we do that! We got a new camera as an early wedding present so I'm hoping to get some great pictures. Thanks :)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help

Cheers to a west coast (Seattle/Gorge/Portland) tour and the upcoming Canadian Tour....maybe 09 eh?
  • Options
    LizardkingLizardking Posts: 936
    rattzey wrote:
    Hey guys,

It's my wife and I 's first time to Seattle, we are going to see the Seeds of Compasion Concert and are coming in on Thursday. We are staying about a 10 min walk from Pike's Place Market, we are both lovers of music especially Pearl jam and of course food/wine/beer. Where should we go eat (seafood/wine) and what are some cool music shops (I am a poster freak) and Live music bars.

Make sure you go to EasyStreet, they have good food at the West Seattle store where the CD was made. Also make sure to go to EMP, cool music history items, they have about 10 PJ posters framed on the wall.
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • Options
    dawngdawng Posts: 644
    One thing to note is that West Seattle is not 'downtown' - so you'll either need to have a car or take a bus. In good traffic, should take about 20 min. They do have some nice seafood places in West Seattle on Alki Beach, but Easy Street is not on Alki. Bring a good map and have fun! :)

Here's a list of West Seattle restraunts. http://www.alkibeach.com/eats.asp

Duke's Chowder House is really good...haven't been to the West Seattle one, but they have a few others around town that are excellent. http://www.dukeschowderhouse.com/
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Options
    Pioneer Square and the Underground tour are a must.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    swallowedwordsswallowedwords Posts: 1,093
    rattzey wrote:
    Hey guys,

I was in Seattle for the first time last December. The weather absolutely sucked, but we had the greatest time. I stayed at "Inn at the Market," which was right at the Pike's Place Market and an amazing hotel. Anyway, I suggest going to Lowell's in the market for breakfast. I really enjoyed a restaurant called Tulio's, although I forgot the exact address, plus the best sushi I've had at a place called Ohana, which wasn't far from the hotel.

Aside from food, take the Underground Tour. Very interesting!
    Free the West Memphis Three
    www.wm3.org

Ron Paul 2012
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Ivar's is a good spot for seafood. It's in Pike Place.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    I was out in Seattle for the first time in November ... I was by myself, on business. I got a car with a GPS, and spent an entire day plugging various addresses in. I basically did my own PJ/Seattle music tour.

I went to the West Seattle Easy Street. I went by the Showbox, and caught a show at the Crocodile Cafe before it closed down. I walked by The Moore (where the Even Flow video was filmed), and by total accident ended up having several beers at the Nite Light next door -- the bar where Jeff and Ed drank during the interview for Cameron Crowe's RS story on them.

I drove by the Kurt Cobain house. I drove out to London Bridge studios, where Ten was recorded. Just sat in the parking lot for about 10 minutes and left. There's a basketball hoop out back ... I wondered if it's the same one the boys hooped on during the sessions.

Mostly, on my down time, I just tried to walk in the shoes of my musical heroes. I had a blast just trying to visualize how things might have been.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Lizardking wrote:
    Make sure you go to EasyStreet, they have good food at the West Seattle store where the CD was made. Also make sure to go to EMP, cool music history items, they have about 10 PJ posters framed on the wall.

It was so much fun hanging out with you guys at the EMP last Saturday.

Urs,
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    Go get yourself a copy of the fivehorizons guide to Seattle, which lists many PJ related sites with directions, though it is old so some may not be there anymore.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    MINDWIREUK wrote:
    Go get yourself a copy of the fivehorizons guide to Seattle, which lists many PJ related sites with directions, though it is old so some may not be there anymore.

Yeah, that helped, definitely. Wanted to go out to the beach where the Hungerstrike video was filmed, but just didn't have time.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Restaurants.....Lola, The Palace Kitchen, Ettas (near Pike Place) or The Dahlia. http://www.tomdouglas.com

Museum of Flight
    The Fremont Troll
    Discovery Park (Go to the Lighthouse where the Motherlovebone video was filmed!)
    Alki Beach
    Seattle Art Museum

See a show at....Neumos, The Showbox, El Corazon (Used to be the Off Ramp), Chop Suey, or the Triple Door
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    Ivar's is a good spot for seafood. It's in Pike Place.

Ivar's is good, but it's not in Pike Place Market...it's on Pier 54/waterfront. ;)
  • Options
    FnCircusFnCircus Posts: 439
    and by total accident ended up having several beers at the Nite Light next door -- the bar where Jeff and Ed drank during the interview for Cameron Crowe's RS story on them..
    its such a dump.............but a cool place to get a beer nonetheless.
  • Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    The quickest way to out yourself as a tourist is by saying "Pike's Place Market"...it's PIKE (singular) Place Market. Not that anybody cares but I always cringe when I hear people say "Pike's". (I also mention it is that I am reading a great history on the market called "Soul of the City: The Pike Place Public Market"...just came out earlier this year).

Oh, as for something to see, check out the newish Seattle Public Library (2004) downtown designed by Rem Koolhaas on 4th/Madison:
    http://www.spl.org/default.asp?pageID=branch_central&branchID=1

To eat, check out Tom Douglas' new pizza place called "Serious Pie" (3rd/Virginia)...great stuff.
    http://tomdouglas.com/serious/index.html
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    F'n_Circus wrote:
    its such a dump.............but a cool place to get a beer nonetheless.

haha! the Night Light! What a dive! Great Juke Box! It's CASH only too! Don't ever eat anything there! :p It's a cool scene though....drinks aren't bad either.
  • Options
    Thanks fellow 10c'ERs

any other thoughts?

Thanks again
  • Options
    rattzey wrote:
    Thanks fellow 10c'ERs

any other thoughts?

Thanks again
    What more are you looking to do; just Seattle stuff or more region stuff?
  • Options
    that was all great stuff!!

But after we see the show,what would be a good bar to go to for live music on Friday or Saturday near Pike Place?

thanks
  • Options
    mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    Definitely do the Underground Tour
    The guides are worthy of Letterman

and the EMP
    phenomenal museum and pretty cool venue to see a show

grab a copy of the Stranger, see as many club shows as you can and play guess which band could be PJ secret show and drive yrselves crazy but have great time while y're at it

I LOVE Seattle

Have an amazing time
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • Options
    dawngdawng Posts: 644
    rattzey wrote:

But after we see the show,what would be a good bar to go to for live music on Friday or Saturday near Pike Place?

thanks

You're about 10-15 blocks from Pioneer Square (same place you go for the underground tour). http://www.pioneersquare.org/ Pay one cover, and get into many bars. The Central, Doc Maynards, J&M Cafe, etc. There's always the Showbox at the market too, and other places that may just pull you in as you walk by :) Have fun!
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
  • Options
    rattzey wrote:

thanks

in pioneer square they have this thing where you pay like 10 dollar cover and get a stamp and it gets you cover for like 6 or 7 bars, most of which have live music, pretty cool... Def check out the central.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    mpnrightmpnright Posts: 23
    i'm actually headed to Seattle this weekend as well and was wondering if it was easy to grab a ticket outside the showbox. eels is playing Friday night and the show sold out. think its possible to score one ticket. hopin to make it in the showbox on my 25th birthday.
  • Options
    mauichickmauichick Posts: 964
    mpnright wrote:
    i'm actually headed to Seattle this weekend as well and was wondering if it was easy to grab a ticket outside the showbox. eels is playing Friday night and the show sold out. think its possible to score one ticket. hopin to make it in the showbox on my 25th birthday.

get there early, don't listen to the naysayers (club employees included), POSITIVE ENERGY
    good luck
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • Options
    mpnrightmpnright Posts: 23
    mauichick wrote:
    get there early, don't listen to the naysayers (club employees included), POSITIVE ENERGY
    good luck

sweet, thanks. just wasn't sure if there'd be scalpers in the area. I'd pay over facet o get a chance to get inside and see a show at the showbox while i'm in seattle.
  • Options
    gjemselgjemsel Posts: 77
    There have been tickets available for every show I've ever seen at the Showbox, including PJ. People will just stand out front or walk up and down the line asking if anyone needs tickets. I would go early and keep your eyes and ears open. Good luck.
    . . . and in the aching night under satellites, I was not received. --CC