Crying at work sucks.

haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Im at work and a man came in looked just like my deceased grandfather.
Turns out he is his brother, I knew once I saw the name.
They look so similar, they were really close too. He spoke of him very solemnly, he says every day he misses him. So do i...
I had to go to the backroom to collect myself...
...crying at work sucks. We were super close.
live pearl jam is best pearl jam
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Posts: 3,428
    haffajappa wrote:
    They look so similar, they were really close too. He spoke of him very solemnly, he says every day he misses him. So do i...

I'm sorry....that had to have been difficult :-(

and yes,crying at work definitely sucks!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    haffajappa wrote:

I'm sorry....that had to have been difficult :-(

and yes,crying at work definitely sucks!

Many have asked me in my line of work with private patients, ...how do you do this when the time comes when they pass away? I just answer that when they're alive and in my patient care, I give them everything i have and treat them as if they were living their last breathe and most of all if they were my grandfather. I believe empathy is the word just treat them like how I would like to be treated even when I get upset with which sometimes happens after years of care.

I cry many months later when I reminisce about our times together on things we did and things we shouldn't have done. :(

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    I miss mine everyday, gone far too soon

sometimes ya need to let it out

I hope u feel better
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    Sorry that you had a cry at work. Yes, it can be very awkward. On the plus side however, you got to bond for bit over a man that you both loved very deeply. That's worth a few tears. :)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,613
    awwww....
    www.myspace.com
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Lol I cried when i told my boyfriend, and when i told my mom (who teared up)
    Thanks all, i just needed to get it out!

I think the hard thing is that they are a splitting image of each other, they were the 2 youngest boys in the family and like my grandfather's brother said they were "like peanuts" because they were so close... The man seemed so sad though, I didn't really know him well other than what my grandpa said of him. Its weird because I know he lives just down the road.
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    Maybe this might be an opportunity to get to know him better. I know you don't have a lot of time, but maybe stop by for a tea or something. I bet he's got great stories about when he and your grandpa were kids. He may even have some old photos. If he seems so sad this might help to cheer him up. It can be very lonely when you get old. Your children and grandchildren never seem to have time and your friends and siblings start to die off. I saw it all the time when I was visiting my grandma in the lodge where she lived :(
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • JDBJDB Posts: 277
    It's not as bad as shitting your pants at work. That sucks.
  • evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    I use to be so proud of the fact that I didn't let myself cry, but with everything I've been going through this year I started breaking down and couldn't stop myself. It really sucks being a guy and breaking down at work, especially when you work at the second biggest refinery in the U.S. Even though I work in the main office I still have a lot of the plant field workers comming in my office and most of them are the stereotypical plant workers. You know the "super-hard-super-manly-never-let-themselves-feel-any-emotion-because-feelings-are-for-wusses" type. Even though most of them probably go home and cry themselves to sleep, they'd never let the outside world know that. ;)

Oh well, I'm working through it (both literally and metaphorically 8-) ).
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
    Maybe this might be an opportunity to get to know him better. I know you don't have a lot of time, but maybe stop by for a tea or something. I bet he's got great stories about when he and your grandpa were kids. He may even have some old photos. If he seems so sad this might help to cheer him up. It can be very lonely when you get old. Your children and grandchildren never seem to have time and your friends and siblings start to die off. I saw it all the time when I was visiting my grandma in the lodge where she lived :(
    I know when i go visit my grandma at her home its like some people have nobody its so sad :(
    JDB wrote:
    It's not as bad as shitting your pants at work. That sucks.
    Can't say I've done that :shock:
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    My Grandad passed away on 26 April and I find myself with tears in my eyes all the time. He was 87 and had been very ill since xmas so in a way we were all relieved that his suffering ended but it is still hard, especially when I think about my Nana all alone. Their wedding anniversary was on the 17th of April - 57 years. I am trying to make more of an effort to stay close with her.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    its okay steph. :(

I miss my grandpa all the time. I've had insanely real dreams about him, where I wake up feeling like I just was with him, as real as I was just with Nic or a friend. It's hard. Grandpas rule, I only have one grandparent left.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    p.s. - and why dont you talk to this man? YOu could probably learn a lot of valuable family history from him!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    i'm sorry. crying at work does suck, but that don't mean it's not okay. don't worry about it, cry when you need to. i sure do. :oops:
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    its okay steph. :(

I miss my grandpa all the time. I've had insanely real dreams about him, where I wake up feeling like I just was with him, as real as I was just with Nic or a friend. It's hard. Grandpas rule, I only have one grandparent left.

p.s. - and why dont you talk to this man? YOu could probably learn a lot of valuable family history from him!

thanks b...
    yeah, i have dreams all the time! its nuts. Thats why when i saw him coming in i was like :shock: he looks just like my grandpappy.

i think i'm going to maybe arrange a dinner or something, him and his wife haven't seen my nana in a while (i've only got one grandparent left too).

my grandpa's only other living sibling is from moose jaw, i just did a family tree project for a class last semester, i talked to her. She kept track of everything, it was awesome. Between her and ancestry.ca i managed to track back to 1725. I like talking to his siblings.
    the wolf wrote:
    i'm sorry. crying at work does suck, but that don't mean it's not okay. don't worry about it, cry when you need to. i sure do. :oops:
    crying makes you feel better i thnk.
    i do enjoy a good cry every now and then ;)
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather... Crying at work sucks, especially when the first person they see is you... :roll:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I can relate, my sister crosses my mind daily, but there are certain times I think hard enough to shed a tear. But like it's been said...think about the great times that you had with your Granddad that you miss, but you can cherish.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    haffajappa wrote:
    the wolf wrote:
    crying makes you feel better i thnk.
    i do enjoy a good cry every now and then ;)

It always does. It's like a weight being lifted sometimes.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I can relate, my sister crosses my mind daily, but there are certain times I think hard enough to shed a tear. But like it's been said...think about the great times that you had with your Granddad that you miss, but you can cherish.
    Yeah he died 4 years ago next week.
    I'm usually ok talking about him and laughing about things he used to say and do...
    but just seeing his brother (not twins but they look sooooo similar) it was too real. :shock: :oops: