MSG closing for renovations summer 2011

JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
edited May 2010 in The Porch
One thing that might make these two nights at Madison Square Garden even more special is they are likely to be the last 2 shows Pearl Jam plays there for quite some time.

Beginning in the summer of 2011, MSG will be closed for 3 summers (from the end of the Rangers/Knicks season through the start of the Rangers season the following fall) for renovations.

Considering Pearl Jam tends to hit the northeast market between May and September most years they tour here, looks like the Garden won't be available to them until at least 2014.

Therefore, this just gives us one more reason to bring some serious energy with us to MSG this year. Who knows...maybe with the renovation the sound will improve.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    I hope they are gonna come here even if the Garden is closed :oops:
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • they should do a week at the beacon each summer the garden is closed. :mrgreen:
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    they should do a week at the beacon each summer the garden is closed. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen::mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

The dead used to do 5-9 night runs at the wamu theater(before it was called that). Maybe pj could do that.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• GratefulJamGratefulJam Posts: 1,802
    metsfan wrote:

The dead used to do 5-9 night runs at the wamu theater(before it was called that). Maybe pj could do that.

being a long time dead fanni never remember them playing there ?
    "thru extensive negotiations we managed to get the curfew moved back..... we still don't have any time to fu&k around...."

LA II 06, SB 06, SF III 06, Kokua 07 Ed and Jack, Grant Park 07, EV Berk1 & LA 1 (nice job 10c), 08 DC, MSG1 &2, VH1 rocks, EV Bos II, EV NYC I & II, Milwaukee, EV Maui, EV Hono I & II, Chicago 09 I & II, LA 09 I & II & IV, SD 09 (my girlfriend hit the lottery, best concert of my life 10C rocks)KC 2010, STL 2010, Hartford. Boston, and MSG I & II "who goes around skinning cats anyway", PJ 20 2011 , Portland, Spokane, Seattle LA 2013, Home Shows + Missoula (fatal 👌)
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I suppose they could go back to Jones beach, though its a pain to get to.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • jefsmith45jefsmith45 Posts: 9
    "Each year, construction will start with the end of the Knicks’ season or the Rangers’, whichever comes later."

MSG will only be closed during the summer... so there could be concerts there during the winter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/sports/06garden.html
  • JaneNY wrote:
    I suppose they could go back to Jones beach, though its a pain to get to.

fuck that place...they don't sell alcohol there.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • RubberbandmanRubberbandman Posts: 439
    Nassau coliseum and jones beach ( even know jones beach sucks)
  • JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    My real problem with the renovation is installing these walking bridges across the length of the arena for fans to walk on during games, concerts, etc. I think one of the things that makes the Garden so unique is the ceiling and just would hate to see an obstructed view of that with this idea that seems silly. The rest sounds okay as one must deal with expanded luxury suites in this day and age, and the upgraded concourses and concessions will be nice. The seats will also be moved on the top bowl to be closer to the action, which will also be an upgrade.

It will be sad for the place to be shut down for a few summers (my notable shows there have been Pearl Jam [6x], Eric Clapton, R.E.M., and Page & Plant) as they have been home to so many epic performances, but then again New York City is not in short supply of music venues.

Let's hope Pearl Jam's presumed last for a few years are the best they've done there!
  • JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    jefsmith45 wrote:
    "Each year, construction will start with the end of the Knicks’ season or the Rangers’, whichever comes later."

MSG will only be closed during the summer... so there could be concerts there during the winter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/sports/06garden.html

Right...I said likely because Pearl Jam tends to tour in the northeast between May and September, which given the perdicament the Rangers and Knicks are in with the quality of their teams, is likely to be when MSG is closed.
  • JW0422JW0422 Posts: 170
    Yo maybe thats why they are playing the rock in Newark to check it out so they have a place to play in case they want to play in the area while the garden is being renovated.
  • PJ Fan est. 1990PJ Fan est. 1990 Posts: 1,788
    JL19851 wrote:
    looks like the Garden won't be available to them until at least 2014.

if there is a 2014 :?
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    metsfan wrote:

being a long time dead fanni never remember them playing there ?

There was a Dec 71 run at the Felt Forum (currently the WaMu theater). Before my time, but ive heard one of the shows

http://www.dead.net/shows/1971

Maybe thinking of NY Academy of Music/Palladium or Radio City? Fillmore East? Beacon?

And I'd vote for a week or two run at the Beacon!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jlbnyc/262 ... 736627703/
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • BlackThirteenBlackThirteen Posts: 423
    Nassau coliseum and jones beach ( even know jones beach sucks)

I doubt they're ever gonna go to the coliseum again. Not after the shit they got in 2003 for playing bushleaguer. That was my first ever PJ concert it was a pretty amazing show until the audience just turned on them.