Looking to buy a nice bluesy amp

benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
edited June 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been playing with a Peavey Studio Pro 112 for a while now, and it has recently broken - the tube modelling, all reverb, and seemingly all personality the amp ever conveyed, has all gone. I'm looking to get a new amp, something that will give me the tone I'm looking for. I play primarily a Highway One Tele with stock pickups, and occasionally an Epiphone Les Paul with three humbuckers. The sound that I aspire to have is something in between Stevie Ray Vaughn and Roy Buchanan - something with some bite, lots of soul, but less trebly than Roy's. I have just under $1000 that I've set aside for this, if need be, but obviously the less money I have to shell out, the better!
If anyone has good suggestions for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm bringing my guitar down to a store on the weekend to try a few - if anyone could steer me in the right shopping direction, that would be amazing.
Thanks!
Ben
'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• d1witdafunkd1witdafunk Posts: 226
    musicman amps if you can find em..... i have the 210 hd 130 watt tube and it is great blues amp johnny winters still uses musicman amps probably can get a nice one for 700 800
  • 59fender59fender Posts: 46
    a fender hot rod deluxe works good, or a deville. both within your price range, if you get the deluxe get the 1 12 extention cab with it, been wanting one for mine for a while.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,102
    Anyone know how the Blues Deluxe reissue is? Gets great reviews.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Traynor YCV-40. Most underrated amp on the market right now.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    benjs wrote:

Oddly enough i recently got one. About 2 weeks ago. Its a lovely amp. im really happy with it. The dirt channel on it isnt that powerful but the amp takes pedals really nicely. The cleans are typically nice and sparkley like most fenders and the reverb is very shimmery without being too overpowering. The tweed look on it is very aesthetically pleasing too and looks nice and vintage. Only thing i will say is that even though it is only 40watts its extremely loud and the volume increment curve on the clean channel is very steep so you cant really use it past 1 in the home. Still breaking mine in at the moment but im extremely happy with my purchase. I was slightly annoyed when fender raised all there prices literally a week to the day before i ordered it but i had the cash and had finally set my heart on the amp(i knew i wanted a fender) after months of changing my mind between the blues deluxe, hot rod deluxe or hot rod deville.(once again thanks to everyone on here who helped me make my mind up it was all much appreciated) Id say if you can try one before you commit as its always horses for courses with people and guitars/amps etc. What is one mans dream can easily be another mans nightmare.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
    kigcat wrote:
    benjs wrote:

Oddly enough i recently got one. About 2 weeks ago. Its a lovely amp. im really happy with it. The dirt channel on it isnt that powerful but the amp takes pedals really nicely. The cleans are typically nice and sparkley like most fenders and the reverb is very shimmery without being too overpowering. The tweed look on it is very aesthetically pleasing too and looks nice and vintage. Only thing i will say is that even though it is only 40watts its extremely loud and the volume increment curve on the clean channel is very steep so you cant really use it past 1 in the home. Still breaking mine in at the moment but im extremely happy with my purchase. I was slightly annoyed when fender raised all there prices literally a week to the day before i ordered it but i had the cash and had finally set my heart on the amp(i knew i wanted a fender) after months of changing my mind between the blues deluxe, hot rod deluxe or hot rod deville.(once again thanks to everyone on here who helped me make my mind up it was all much appreciated) Id say if you can try one before you commit as its always horses for courses with people and guitars/amps etc. What is one mans dream can easily be another mans nightmare.
    Yep, I'd never buy a guitar or amp without trying the exact one I'd go home with first! I have read that about the volume, actually... I had already planned to go for maximum output on the amp, and minimum output from my effects pedal (I have a Boss GT-10 multi-effects processor), as I love doing volume swells from the guitar, and someone told me (if someone can confirm this that'd be great) that tube amps are meant to be left at their maximum output, and that volume control should be done elsewhere.

EV
    Benjs... You're in Toronto, do yourself a favour, go to Long and Mcquade, and play some of the Traynor amps. Beautiful cleans with a distortion thats much more useable than the Fenders. Seriously, the best kept secret on the guitar market.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Benjs... You're in Toronto, do yourself a favour, go to Long and Mcquade, and play some of the Traynor amps. Beautiful cleans with a distortion thats much more useable than the Fenders. Seriously, the best kept secret on the guitar market.
    Long and McQuade's is actually my destination for tomorrow, so I'll definitely check 'em out... thanks for the advice, everyone!

EV
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Based on the artists you referenced, I'd highly recommend you try a Fender Supersonic. It IS a tad more than your price-range, but based on the type of sound you're aiming for, I'd say it's got a little more of the "edgy" tone that you might like.

That said, I'm a big fan of the Blues Deluxe and Hot Rod Deluxe amps. Plan on at least one good overdrive pedal, as their onboard distortion is pretty lack-luster. But it's got decent reverb, takes pedals well, and good all-around tube tone. Even a Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive will get the job done.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • 59fender59fender Posts: 46
    Based on the artists you referenced, I'd highly recommend you try a Fender Supersonic. It IS a tad more than your price-range, but based on the type of sound you're aiming for, I'd say it's got a little more of the "edgy" tone that you might like.

That said, I'm a big fan of the Blues Deluxe and Hot Rod Deluxe amps. Plan on at least one good overdrive pedal, as their onboard distortion is pretty lack-luster. But it's got decent reverb, takes pedals well, and good all-around tube tone. Even a Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive will get the job done.

agreed supersonic is a awsome amp! my HRD takes pedals VERY well, i dont use the onboard dist. it does kinda suck. i use nick greer ghetto stomp, barber supersport, and a timmy pedal for lead boost, for distortion. also use keeley compressor, and voodoo lab microvibe, all into the front of the amp. and it sound great. delay and chorus in the effects loop. the effects loop in the HRD is really good. unlike some other amps. i use a marshall jcm2000 dsl401 english made. and the effects loop sucks but it does have good distortion channel in the amp. ive been tempted to change the eminence speaker in the HRD for a celestion g12(which is what i have in the marshall), been told that it will greatly tighten up the bottom end. i like to think that i sound like mike sometimes. hehe
    It's pretty well-known that the stock speakers in the regular Hot Rod and Blues amps are a weak point. No doubt Eminence makes some good speakers (I own a couple of their upgraded models) but the ones in those amps are mediocre. A Celestion Vintage-30 is a pretty common upgrade, although everyone has their flavor of choice.
    Thanks for all your help, everyone. I'm coming from a defective Peavey Transtube Studio Pro 112, where the reverb is gone, and essentially any 'personality' is void on this amp, so needless to say, the HRD and Blues Deluxe, as well as every Traynor amp I tried, sounded like gold to my ears. That said, I really did fall in love with the tone of the Blues Deluxe, and think I will focus my shopping on that. mccreadyisgod - I've never tweaked any guitar equipment before, what effect does the speaker itself have on the amp, and what 'flavours' are you referring to that can be gained with the Vintage 30, if you don't mind?

EV
    If your ears haven't been used to hearing really good tone, then changing a speaker will seem like a subtle change. Especially when you've been used to a solid-state amp, any tube amp will sound a lot more lively and responsive, so I don't know that I would recommend swapping the speaker right away. Get used to the tone of the amp as-is, and once you've learned what the amp is like, then you can look to a speaker swap to change the tone to fit your needs. Some folks really like a vintage alnico, which has a really woody, midrangy tone like older tweed amps. You could go with a Celestion Greenback, which would give you a rawer tone with more distortion breakup. The Vintage 30 is kinda like a transparent speaker... it usually doesn't color the tone a whole lot, and it really lets the amp shine through.

Again, I'd recommend you get the amp and play for a while, then start looking at what a speaker will do. Think of it this way: Stock, the amp is 90% of the tone you're looking for. The speaker will make up that last 10%.
    what no % amount for fingers? hahah amazing. nearly always you`ll get someone in a guitar thread that as soon as tone is mentioned the "its in your fingers" statement is made.... damn.... i just realised im now that guy.... bugger.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
    kigcat wrote:
    what no % amount for fingers?

I was more dividing tone between the electronics and the speaker for the "Amp" portion of your tone. There are so many variables to electric guitar tone that it's not even funny.

Fingers
    Strings
    -Steel vs. nickel
    -Round vs. flat-wound
    -Coated
    Pickups
    -Alnico vs. ceramic (or others, aluminum, sumarium-cobalt, piezo, etc)
    -Pole-piece material
    -Humbucker vs. stacked-humbucker vs. single-coil
    -Winding (hand vs. machine-wound, number of winds)
    Body wood
    -Hollow, semi-hollow, solid
    -Ply vs. solid-wood vs. capped
    Neck wood
    -Finish
    Neck joint
    -Set/bolt-on/neck-thru-body
    Fretboard
    -Maple, Ebony, Rosewood, etc
    -Lacquered vs. natural
    Bridge/Tailpiece
    Cables
    Pedals
    -Buffers
    -True-bypass
    -Analog vs. Digital
    -Too many other variables
    Pedal power
    -Batteries vs. power supply
    -Conditioned/iso-transformer
    Amp
    -Tubes
    -Caps
    -Transformer
    -Onboard FX (reverb, tremolo, drive/distortion)
    -FX Loop
    -Handwired vs. circuit board
    Speaker Cable
    Speaker
    -Impedance
    Speaker Cab
    -Open, closed, ported
    -Cab material (birch ply, regular ply, solid wood, MDF/fiberboard)
    -Baffleboard material and thickness
    -Finish (wood, tolex, tweed, carpet)

Feel free to add to the list, that ain't the end of it.
    youve still forgotten the most important yet secret one.......... selling your soul to the devil at the crossroads!! :D
    kigcat wrote:
    youve still forgotten the most important yet secret one.......... selling your soul to the devil at the crossroads!! :D

That only works if you're Ralph Macchio.
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    Is the preference on the HRD the 212 or the 410 :?:
    savman wrote:
    Is the preference on the HRD the 212 or the 410 :?:
    I don't think either is necessary (and this is coming from the owner of a 410 traynor)... My dads 112 more than keeps up with whatever I've thrown at it!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I would get a used Clark beaufort or Victoria for that money.

Or a Bassman LTD used as well. You can't go wrong with a Bassman.

Also Traynor and an Ampeg Jet should be in the mix.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    If your ears haven't been used to hearing really good tone, then changing a speaker will seem like a subtle change. Especially when you've been used to a solid-state amp, any tube amp will sound a lot more lively and responsive, so I don't know that I would recommend swapping the speaker right away. Get used to the tone of the amp as-is, and once you've learned what the amp is like, then you can look to a speaker swap to change the tone to fit your needs. Some folks really like a vintage alnico, which has a really woody, midrangy tone like older tweed amps. You could go with a Celestion Greenback, which would give you a rawer tone with more distortion breakup. The Vintage 30 is kinda like a transparent speaker... it usually doesn't color the tone a whole lot, and it really lets the amp shine through.

Again, I'd recommend you get the amp and play for a while, then start looking at what a speaker will do. Think of it this way: Stock, the amp is 90% of the tone you're looking for. The speaker will make up that last 10%.
    I've got a blues deluxe - and you seem very knowledgeable - any speaker recommendation for a fatter, punchier tone?
    I've got a blues deluxe - and you seem very knowledgeable - any speaker recommendation for a fatter, punchier tone?

Honestly, the best way to get fatter and punchier tone would be to add a sealed extension cabinet. I know that Fender released extension cabs for the Hot Rod Deluxe amps, which would work great with the Blues Deluxe, or you could find some other 1x12" sealed cab (Peavey used to make a decent cab with a Sheffield speaker that sounded really good, and Mesa/Boogie has their Thiele cab). The sealed enclosure tends to give a punchier tone with more focused low-end. Adding a sealed cab to the speaker inside the amp, it tends to sound really full, definitely a "bigger" sound. You could try some other speakers, but honestly, the open-back cab will suck the low-end out of the tone. And don't try to seal the cab on your combo, it'll cut off air circulation to the tubes which is needed to keep them from overheating. Try to find an extension 1x12" or even 2x10" cab that's fully-enclosed, that will do the trick.
  • Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236

Honestly, the best way to get fatter and punchier tone would be to add a sealed extension cabinet. I know that Fender released extension cabs for the Hot Rod Deluxe amps, which would work great with the Blues Deluxe, or you could find some other 1x12" sealed cab (Peavey used to make a decent cab with a Sheffield speaker that sounded really good, and Mesa/Boogie has their Thiele cab). The sealed enclosure tends to give a punchier tone with more focused low-end. Adding a sealed cab to the speaker inside the amp, it tends to sound really full, definitely a "bigger" sound. You could try some other speakers, but honestly, the open-back cab will suck the low-end out of the tone. And don't try to seal the cab on your combo, it'll cut off air circulation to the tubes which is needed to keep them from overheating. Try to find an extension 1x12" or even 2x10" cab that's fully-enclosed, that will do the trick.
    Thanks very much. I didn't know that about closed-backs. Good call.
    Thanks very much. I didn't know that about closed-backs. Good call.

It'll make your amp sound completely different, bigger and more ballsey. Trust me on that one.
  • benjs wrote:
    Long and McQuade's is actually my destination for tomorrow, so I'll definitely check 'em out... thanks for the advice, everyone!

Go to Cosmo Music in Richmond Hill - best guitar strore in Canada. Ask for Andrew (Guitar Manager) - her's Stone in rearviewmirror (Toronto tribute band.)