Anyone ever had an MRI?

RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I think I may going in for one on my knee tomorrow and want to know what it's like...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    I just had one about 2 weeks ago on my knee.

It's easy and takes about 20 minutes. They don't stick you all the way in the machine, my upper chest and head were sticking out of the machine.

It's easy.
    NERDS!
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    cool...I was reading that they put some sorta needle in you for cooling or something. Ugh I think I'm more nervous for the outcome than the actual procedure.
    RW81233 wrote:
    cool...I was reading that they put some sorta needle in you for cooling or something. Ugh I think I'm more nervous for the outcome than the actual procedure.

If they can't get a good scan they have to inject a blue dye into your hand or something. I didn't need it, just had to agree to it just in case. My roomate had a full body MRI and had to have the dye, but they were looking at his spine.

I got my MRI results last week. Torn ACL :thumbdown: Surgery on June 22nd.
    NERDS!
    oh man I'm sorry...I hope I don't have the same fate. Methinks it's a meniscus tear b/c it's the outside of my right knee and an LCL is unlikely.
    RW81233 wrote:
    oh man I'm sorry...I hope I don't have the same fate. Methinks it's a meniscus tear b/c it's the outside of my right knee and an LCL is unlikely.
    How did you injure it?
    NERDS!
    I panicked when my bike brakes didn't initially catch, and put my feet down to stop. How bout you?
    Snowboarding. Landed a little awkward going a bit too big and too fast. I had maybe done something to the knee 10 years earlier, but I didn't have insurance so I just let it go.

Glad it happened while I'm covered this time. :)
    NERDS!
    that's good that you are covered. same here...bout to hit europe for 2 weeks this summer, am covered, and not to proud to do some surgery if need be. i am, however, scared shitless of sitting in a tube for 20 minutes. jose reyes and i have a lot in common in terms of not needing amphetamines to keep us going all the time.
  • jg1988jg1988 Posts: 181
    RW81233 wrote:

they usually do that for CT scans. MRI do not need dyes or cooling since it is purely magnetic. it is nothing to worry about, it just is loud.
  • Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    RW81233 wrote:

If they can't get a good scan they have to inject a blue dye into your hand or something. I didn't need it, just had to agree to it just in case. My roomate had a full body MRI and had to have the dye, but they were looking at his spine.

I got my MRI results last week. Torn ACL :thumbdown: Surgery on June 22nd.

I had an MRI recently and I had the dye and an injection to stop my digestive organs from working temporarily. I went full body in and it was quite scary to be honest :( I had one on my head 10 years ago too... that wasn't particularly nice either.
    I may have to have one on my chest later this year... I'm becoming an MRI vet! :lol:

They're fine if you calm down, stay still and aren't claustrophobic!
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Just go to your happy spot.

Clink Clink Clink

My happy spot was an epic mountain bike ride... visualized almost the entire trail.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    I've had 4 - just try to zone out with all the clicking noises and it'll go by fast.

I did three in college for medical experiments - made $250 a pop to play rock paper scissors and other similar activities with a keypad while it monitored my brain waves and got some cool pictures of my brain.

Then I tore my acl my senior year in college and actually had to get one for medical reasons.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    RW81233 wrote:
    I think I may going in for one on my knee tomorrow and want to know what it's like...
    about 2 or 3 months ago i had a mri done on my (L) knee.
    it was uncomfortable as far as being claustrophbic goes...
    it doesn't help matters much being a big dude.
    those fuckin machines can be pretty small..
    i was pretty uncomfortable.

i hear some hospitals have big huge mri setups while others do not.

what grinds my gears is that i need a knee replacement, like now...
    the bad thing is im to young.
    they like the patient to be 55 years old or so.
    they say the new knee is only good for 20 years or so.

so i have bone on bone in my knees.
    thanks for the cortisone injections.... them fuckers hurt pretty good
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,617
    cake.

especially if its for a knee. you're upper body will be outside of the machine.
    www.myspace.com
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Its really fucking noisy though. Its not clicks. Its a huge intermittent buzzing, like you're in the middle of a power station. Bring those foam earplugs to make it more distant if you think it might bother you.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,617
    JaneNY wrote:
    Its really fucking noisy though. Its not clicks. Its a huge intermittent buzzing, like you're in the middle of a power station. Bring those foam earplugs to make it more distant if you think it might bother you.

most places let you listen to music. last one i did, i brought in my ipod and they hooked it up to their system. so that helped pass the time. that mri was also for my neck so it was a much worse experience than a knee. i am clausterphobic and being all the way in that thing was rough. plus i could not budge my head even a little bit. it was awful.

a knee, though, should be no problem.
    www.myspace.com
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I had my spine done last year so I was totally in the machine. It takes a lot of concentration not to freak out and a lot of praying you don't get an itch someplace cause you can not scratch it. The clicking sounded like music with a definite beat after awhile and before I was done it sounded like a machine talking to me. Hope I never need another.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Take your iPod or MP3. I have had two MRI's on my tibia within the last year. The worst part is lying still for such a long time. I wasn't supposed to move my leg. I was worried about sneezing or coughing since my allergies were so bad at that time. I think I coughed a little, but it must have not been bad enough to mess up the picture.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Take your iPod or MP3. I have had two MRI's on my tibia within the last year. The worst part is lying still for such a long time. I wasn't supposed to move my leg. I was worried about sneezing or coughing since my allergies were so bad at that time. I think I coughed a little, but it must have not been bad enough to mess up the picture.
    i can't believe they let you bring in your gadgets...
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    chadwick wrote:
    i can't believe they let you bring in your gadgets...

You know what, now that you mention it, they had their own headphones and asked me what kind of music I liked. I told them rock and alternative rock and that is what I listened to. I guess since it was music I liked I was thinking it was my own.

The second time (at a different place), I wouldn't bet money on it, but thought I had my own iPod.

I didn't have to take off jewelry or anything. I left my jeans on which had a metal zipper and a metal button.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Nope. Had a CT though. I couldn't even wear my hospital pyjama-top, because the metal buttons interfered with the machine, and yes, I was injected with a contrast agent to show up all my lovely gruesomeness in full resolution.

MRIs don't use x-ray photography, though.

Here are some differences between MRIs and CTs:

http://www.listen-up.org/med/ct_mri.htm
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    RW81233 wrote:
    I panicked when my bike brakes didn't initially catch, and put my feet down to stop. How bout you?

my mom had two tears in her meniscus and she had an arthroscopy yesterday. I thought she was all the way inside the machine. I've had two MRI's on my brain, 1 with dye, and 1 w/o. I've had my neck done and my lower back. I tend to be claustrophobic so I took valium. I think I was in there 40 mins for the brain one.

good luck!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

most places let you listen to music. last one i did, i brought in my ipod and they hooked it up to their system. so that helped pass the time. that mri was also for my neck so it was a much worse experience than a knee. i am clausterphobic and being all the way in that thing was rough. plus i could not budge my head even a little bit. it was awful.

The neck - gads that must have been awful.

They offered me to listen to music but didn't have the option for connecting an ipod, so it was just piped in through their crappy headphones, and it didn't come in really well, so I just gave up on it.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    Thanks for all the info and heads up. It wasn't super bad although staying still isn't fun. The suckiest thing though was that the techs that ran it aren't doctors and I have 16 sets of pics on my knee sitting here in my living room, and no way to read them. So I get to wait till Monday to find out the verdict. I'm hoping for a grade 1 sprain, but it's likely to be the damn meniscus from all the things I've heard and where the pain is.