Anybody notice some songs being played down 1/2 step?

2»

Comments

• justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I look at it this way-->

If they can make small changes that help to keep Ed's voice sounding good, (taking stuff down a half step, having longer instrumental breaks, shorter tours, etc.) no one should complain. It's just a good idea. It's in everyone's best interest to keep his voice as healthy as possible, don't you think? :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    pandora wrote:
    zootown wrote:

Interesting response... for me love and faith are inherently defined by honesty, among other things. Just because I "love" something, whether it be music or a person or an idea, doesn't mean that I am forbidden to honestly level criticism from time to time when it is warranted. I would expect the same in return if someone truly loved me....you see? It just seems to me that your commitment and love of this band and its' music does not include the capacity to question things or be critical...
    You are so very right there. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about theses guys. Not one word.
    But then what good would it do anyone if I did ?
    If Ed's voice is to your ears not as good anymore what can you do about it but just be critical?

You can say he should quit smoking because you are getting a raw deal. That's kind of coming from a "high horse" wouldn't you say?
    I mean everybody should quit smoking right? everybody should be flippin perfect but we are not.
    What possible good comes from being negative and critical? As you age and put on a few pounds, lose your hair, get the wrinkles would you like your loved one to be so honest and say God you look like hell now? These are things we can not or will not change and sometimes the love and acceptance is what the person needs.
    But you are correct about me. I love this band and I honestly see no improvement to be made. I am enjoying my journey, appreciate spending my life with them, and wouldn't change a thing.

Pandora- how is drinking and smoking akin to getting older and losing your hair or gaining a few pounds. You are missing my point. Critical thinking is part of appreciation of anything. What good comes from being critical? well, for one, it provides direction and insight into improving something. Love and acceptance are crucial for sure, but so is honesty. If one of your family or loved ones was doing something that was self destructive and could potentially harm their career, would you stand by and only point out what that person is doing well, or would you be honest and express your concern? Eddie is NOT a member of my family obviously, but as an artist I respect, it's disappointing to see him smoke and drink, risking his voice and potentially limiting his longevity as an artist.Eddie owes me nothing.....he owes it to the art though and himself to clean up.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    zootown wrote:
    Pandora- how is drinking and smoking akin to getting older and losing your hair or gaining a few pounds. You are missing my point. Critical thinking is part of appreciation of anything. What good comes from being critical? well, for one, it provides direction and insight into improving something. Love and acceptance are crucial for sure, but so is honesty. If one of your family or loved ones was doing something that was self destructive and could potentially harm their career, would you stand by and only point out what that person is doing well, or would you be honest and express your concern? Eddie is NOT a member of my family obviously, but as an artist I respect, it's disappointing to see him smoke and drink, risking his voice and potentially limiting his longevity as an artist.Eddie owes me nothing.....he owes it to the art though and himself to clean up.
    You did tell me "to each his own" I thought that would include the choices Mr. Vedder makes in his life too, one would think so.
  • citizen54citizen54 Posts: 64
    All I know is right now I'm listening to a live version (Portland 2009) of Unthought Known -- thank you, PJ Radio! -- and it is giving me chills. And I'm an old guy, not easily chilled, who has been listening to rock music for 50 years. I can't think of one singer who has the power of Eddie Vedder.

So I think his voice is working pretty well. Like an opera singer.

Besides, it's rock and roll. It's not supposed to sound pretty.
  • zootownzootown Posts: 666
    pandora wrote:
    zootown wrote:
    You did tell me "to each his own" I thought that would include the choices Mr. Vedder makes in his life too, one would think so.

what? you lost me on this post. goodnight, enjoy the shows.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Has the Fixer ever been played live with a standard tuning? It actually does sound okay tuned down, but I think it subdues the overall energy of the song.

The only standard version of Got Some that I can recall was from the Conan performance, and that version just sounds so much more alive compared to how it is played now
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    wow i can't really believe a lot of what i am reading
    voice not powerful?

the couple shows i went to this year leave me feeling the exact opposite.
    who cares if songs are tuned down a 1/2 step.
    if it keeps him in tune and the band can stay on time who gives a crap.
    i leave shows always feeling the same overwhelming feeling .

maybe it's just me
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst