Do other bands announce shows this way?

elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,226
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Just curious, I dont follow any other band the way I do PJ....I usually just get my email from Ticketmaster or hear about a show on the radio for other bands. Is PJ the only one who seems to toy with there fans about the tour schedules? If they are going to play more shows why not just tell us.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It's all about "secret"......

Like Tom's Cruise scientology
    Still waiting for a gig in Paris (in a venue not a festival) since 2006...
    Spin, spin !!

Marseille + Paris 2006
    London + Werchter 2007
    Arras + Belfast 2010
    Arras 2012
    Paris Lollapalooza 2022
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Just curious, I dont follow any other band the way I do PJ....I usually just get my email from Ticketmaster or hear about a show on the radio for other bands. Is PJ the only one who seems to toy with there fans about the tour schedules? If they are going to play more shows why not just tell us.

It takes on a whole different meaning if you are the headliner vs. just another band on the bill. For example, Lez Zeppelin would want to let as many of their 47 fans know about all of their appearances. Whereas, PJ (and I'm sure headliners of festivals passed) have to keep a lid on future plans for the time being.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • mookie9999 wrote:
    It takes on a whole different meaning if you are the headliner vs. just another band on the bill. For example, Lez Zeppelin would want to let as many of their 47 fans know about all of their appearances. Whereas, PJ (and I'm sure headliners of festivals passed) have to keep a lid on future plans for the time being.

That's 100% right.

Its all about contracts.

Plus, for all we know, they could still be confirming other US shows for 2008.

People don't like when shows are announced one by one, but those same people don't like to wait until all the information is confirmed, either.
    2004 - 10/1, 10/11
    2005 - 9/15, 9/16, 9/30, 10/1, 10/3
    2006 - 5/5, 5/12, 5/13, 5/27, 5/28, 5/30, 6/1, 6/3, 6/23, 7/22, 7/23, 12/2
    2007 - 6/27, 8/3
    2008 - 6/14, 6/19, 6/20, 6/22, 6/24, 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, 6/30, 7/1
  • I don't know if Bonnaroo works the same way, but I know that with many other festivals (such as Coachella), part of the contract that is signed when the organizer/band agree on terms has a clause stating that the band cannot announce another show in the area until a certain time (generally, within a few weeks before the festival occurs, and certainly way after tickets for the festival go on sale).

The purpose for this, obviously, is to ensure that fans of the band don't pass on the festival tickets in order to buy tickets to the band's own, non-festival show.

I'm not saying that that would prevent PJ from announcing other, non-Bonnaroo-area dates, but it could possibly have an effect on when they announce a larger tour (if there even will be a larger tour, of course).
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus