flac/mp3?

One Became FiveOne Became Five Posts: 269
edited May 2010 in The Porch
which one is preferred, flac or mp3. if there is a link to a post that explains the difference, can someone lead me there. if not, what do you suggest. i have no clue which to buy, which sounds better, how to convert flac.

thanks for any help!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    www.google.com

good link for ya
  • really? never heard of google, i'll give it a try!! :)
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    really? never heard of google, i'll give it a try!! :)

yeah its a useful tool!
  • google is for losers. flac is better quality, but with the quality of boots it usually doesnt make a difference.
  • MrSmith wrote:
    google is for losers. flac is better quality, but with the quality of boots it usually doesnt make a difference.

thank you for the input
  • Mr RockoMr Rocko Posts: 647
    Well technically the FLAC format is much way better than the MP3, why? the music you hear from a FLAC is not compressed hence you can have a much better quality sound, but with the disadvantage that the size of the file is huge. Now the MP3 is a more readable format from the music players, and the size is little compared to the other format, oh and the quality is less "pure" than the FLAC.

So it's up to you which one you want.
    México 24/11/2011
  • and you can convert Flac's to mp3, but not the other way around. not with increased quality anyway.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Buy flac if you have a great home stereo to listen to it on. When I buy flac I almost always burn to a cd.

Buy mp3 if you want to listen to it on your computer or mp3 player.

Also, you can convert flac to mp3, but not the other way around. So if you plan to listen to it on a decent home stereo system buy flac and convert to cd. If not make it easy, save $ and buy mp3.

My preference is always flac when I can, that way I always have a good sounding cd. I then convert to mp3 for my ipod.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,389
    Buy flac! It's uncompressed audio. What I do is backup the flac files on Data DVDR and have a copy in a custom folder on the HD. Using a sweet app called dBpoweramp Music Converter, you can convert it to what ever you want. VBR's, V0's, V2's, 192kbps mp3's, 128's, 256's, 320's etc.. Extract the wav from the flac using Flac Frontened. So much you can do. :)
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Buy flac if you have a great home stereo to listen to it on. When I buy flac I almost always burn to a cd.

Buy mp3 if you want to listen to it on your computer or mp3 player.

Also, you can convert flac to mp3, but not the other way around. So if you plan to listen to it on a decent home stereo system buy flac and convert to cd. If not make it easy, save $ and buy mp3.

My preference is always flac when I can, that way I always have a good sounding cd. I then convert to mp3 for my ipod.

my question is FLAC better then the CD you BUY FROM 10c....
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    joe2468 wrote:
    my question is FLAC better then the CD you BUY FROM 10c....

Pretty much the same..not sure the human ear can telll the difference. So in a short answer I'd say yes.

Just be sure if you burn flac to a cd not to have the 2 second pause b/w songs...then it'll sound like sh!t
  • matt.wattmatt.watt Posts: 77
    FLAC is LOSSLESS compression. It's still compressed audio, but the original "signal" is still preserved. The file size is reduced from raw audio data, but not nearly as small as MP3.

MP3 is LOSSY compression. It uses psychoaucoustic models to remove some parts of the sounds that it determines you likely wont notice, and compresses what's left.

FLAC should contain the same raw audio data as the CD, just in a file form and not on a physical disc.

You can go from FLAC to MP3 (higher quality/large file -> lower quality/small file), but it doesn't make sense to go from MP3 to FLAC (low quality/small file -> low quality/large file). You can't put back in what's been removed and lost.
  • upina2001upina2001 Posts: 764
    After listening to hundreds and hundreds of live shows, there is a difference. and it can be heard even by a deaf guy who listens to too much loud music. :)

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)