ernie harwell

xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,241
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm not as familiar as him as others but he still is one of the legends of baseball broadcasting.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100504/S ... dies-at-92
Reading 2004
Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
Chicago 2007
Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
Fenway 2, 2018
MSG 2022
St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
MSG 2024, MSG 2024
Philadelphia 2024
"I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
Things happen in the game. Nothing you
can do. I don't go and say,
"I'm gonna beat this guy up."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    a detroit institution...rip ernie :(
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    As a baseball fan and a life long Tigers fan, this is truly a sad day.. He is a legend around here and he will be missed..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,814
    yea just heard. r.i.p
    I miss igotid88
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :(
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RIP Ernie. Us here in Detroit will miss you
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    I took this last season when Ernie made his farewell speech.
    Seems appropriate today-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PneUm5_PrU0

God bless Ernie Harwell.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    milarso wrote:
    I took this last season when Ernie made his farewell speech.
    Seems appropriate today-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PneUm5_PrU0

God bless Ernie Harwell.
    That is great man!! good job!! Those seats helped, I gotta roll to a game with you!!
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • watsonj1982watsonj1982 Posts: 84
    RIP Ernie.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,618
    been through this last year when harry the k passed.

rip ernie.

they really dont make announcers like they used to...
    www.myspace.com
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    A voice that will go down in history! RIP Ernie.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

rip ernie.

030306wheels.jpg
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,618

rip ernie.

030306wheels.jpg

"alright thank you wheels!"

i miss that 7th inning hand off
    www.myspace.com
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    RIP Ernie Harwell. A true broadcast legend.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

rip ernie.

beat me to it with kalas...RIP Ernie

and vin scully is out after this year. baseball is losing some legends.

dick enberg has been nice to hear during pads games
  • I just returned from Comerica Park where they are having a public viewing for any fan that wants to pay respects. Very classy. Dave Dombrowski (Tigers GM) was there shaking every fans hand and thanking them for coming out.

Any Michiganders that can make it should try and do so if Ernie and the Tigers mean alot to you. Gates will be open until at least midnight they are saying. :o
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    Growing up in Flint, I remember listening to him on the radio. An amazing man with a great voice. He will always be synonymous with the Tigers for me.

The only thing similar to me is when Jack Buck passed a few years ago.

RIP Ernie.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    as a baseball fan it is sad that he passed. he made the game even more enjoyable
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    I just returned from Comerica Park where they are having a public viewing for any fan that wants to pay respects. Very classy. Dave Dombrowski (Tigers GM) was there shaking every fans hand and thanking them for coming out.

Any Michiganders that can make it should try and do so if Ernie and the Tigers mean alot to you. Gates will be open until at least midnight they are saying. :o

I was down there around 12:30-1 p.m. and there was a line in front of the stadium that wrapped around the side. I was working (I'm a journalist) and I talked with one of the guys working there, and he said that he has never seen people lined up like that. It was a really classy move by the Tigers- it's obvious there were a lot of people who wanted to pay their respects.
    I talked to a guy who came from Bay City, and one who came all the way from Sault St. Marie.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Very classy mood by the Tigers, I was listening to Valente and Foster on the Ticket and Valente was just ripping people. People were taking pictures of him in the casket. Whats the fuck the matter with those people, whoever did that are sick fucks and are swimming at the shallow end of the gene pool.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Very classy mood by the Tigers, I was listening to Valente and Foster on the Ticket and Valente was just ripping people. People were taking pictures of him in the casket. Whats the fuck the matter with those people, whoever did that are sick fucks and are swimming at the shallow end of the gene pool.

Yeah- it made no sense to me either. I'm not a huge fan of the whole open casket thing in any capacity- I understand it can give closure to some, but to me it's just creepy and morbid. But to pose in front of a dead person's casket as if it were some kind of Disney character is just sickening.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    milarso wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Yeah- it made no sense to me either. I'm not a huge fan of the whole open casket thing in any capacity- I understand it can give closure to some, but to me it's just creepy and morbid. But to pose in front of a dead person's casket as if it were some kind of Disney character is just sickening.

I couldn't agree with you more, I'm just so glad Valente addressed it the way he did with such disgust. When I hear stuff like that it just convinces me even more that where regressing as a society.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,241
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Scully remembers 'gentle' Harwell

LOS ANGELES -- Vin Scully didn't succeed Ernie Harwell as the Brooklyn Dodgers' play-by-play man in 1950, the Dodgers Hall of Fame announcer said Tuesday, he just happened to sit in Harwell's chair.

Harwell, a Hall of Famer who spent 42 seasons with the Tigers, passed away Tuesday at 92. Harwell was with the Dodgers 1948-49, before Scully came into the job he still holds today.

"He was so gracious and kind. Probably the best word: He was gentle," Scully said. "And it came across. He just cared for people. He loved baseball."

Scully told the bizarre story of Harwell's arrival in Brooklyn. Red Barber had become ill with an ulcer during the 1948 season, so Dodgers general manager Branch Rickey called the independent Atlanta Crackers, where Rickey's friend, Arthur Mann, was an executive.

"He said, 'Arthur, I need your announcer," Scully said. "And Arthur Mann said, I need a catcher. So the Dodgers sent Cliff Dapper to Atlanta, and Atlanta sent Ernie Harwell to Brooklyn. Ernie's the only announcer who's ever been involved in a trade. And it was a trade."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... rId=rss_la
  • lukin2006 wrote:
    I totally agree about not taking pics of a casket, but Valenti and his negativity about anything and everything has gotten tired.

I remember when that show was worth listening to instead of the same old schtick they roll out everyday now