Evenflow (Re-Recorded)

letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Posts: 552
edited May 2010 in The Porch
The re-recorded version (on the video, greatest hits) totally destroys the album version in my opinion. RR version ranks in my top 5 songs where as I find the Ten version kind of boring.

I dont remember ever hearing why they did re-record it. Anyone know? Were they just unhappy with how the album version sounded? Did they need to sync the sound with the video?
There's a trapdoor in the sun.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lednukelednuke Posts: 48
    I agree completely! It's much more energetic. Sadly I don't know the answer but am also curious.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    edited May 2010
    The re-recorded version (on the video, greatest hits) totally destroys the album version in my opinion. RR version ranks in my top 5 songs where as I find the Ten version kind of boring.

I dont remember ever hearing why they did re-record it. Anyone know? Were they just unhappy with how the album version sounded? Did they need to sync the sound with the video?

Like you said, the Ten version totally lacks the energy that the re-recording has. The Ten version is like a funk song whereas the video version is more hard rock....which fit more into radio rotation at the time. Or maybe they just wanted to record it with Abbruzzese on drums rather than having him mime Krusen's part in a video.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722

The album version had Krusen on it. It was a relatively tame song in comparison.

They re-recorded it with Abbruzzese. I believe it was because Dave played it much better that they decided to re-record it and release that as a single instead, but that's my opinion. I'd guess that they loved what Dave brought to the song.

...but since the band has trashed Dave since firing him years later, no one can be sure, but I think his version is very much the best. It has by far the most dynamics on the drums for that song.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • CJMST3K wrote:

The album version had Krusen on it. It was a relatively tame song in comparison.

They re-recorded it with Abbruzzese. I believe it was because Dave played it much better that they decided to re-record it and release that as a single instead, but that's my opinion. I'd guess that they loved what Dave brought to the song.

...but since the band has trashed Dave since firing him years later, no one can be sure, but I think his version is very much the best. It has by far the most dynamics on the drums for that song.

You nailed it saying the Ten version is tame. Probably right about the Abbruzzese theory
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.