does anyone else think its weird that....

edited May 2010 in The Porch
when i mention PJ is my favorite band people generally act with disinterest or say something like "are they even still around?" yet at every festival i go to they have the hugest crowd by far? i always hear a lot of "they kicked ass!" comments at them too.

i think there are a lot of closeted PJ fans out there.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• matt_bakermatt_baker Posts: 62
    +1

I blame ''musicians'' like justin beiber and lady gaga for ruining the collective musical consciousness.
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    My friend Brian is a die hard Bon Jovi fan. we are the same age, but he never got into the whole grunge/alternative whatever the hell you wanna call it music movement in the early-mid nineties.. I got into Rage, Tool, Primus, Nirvana, Helmet, Melon,etc. saving only one or two bands from the eighties i liked.. Well, really only Faith No More (they are so fucking awesome it hurts) and AIC Facelift seemed to pre date the others slightly. OK and Pantera.. But my friend Brian roundly rejected all of this type of music.. He still loved Motley, Bon Jovi, Etc.. right through the nineties, 2000's.. And the funny part about today is, when I tell people Pearl Jam is my Favorite band, they act towards me the way people acted towards him growing up. Fuck em'.
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • tinachentinachen Posts: 57
    happens to me all the time, especially because I'm only 24 and people my age often don't even know who PJ are. And when people tell me what their favorite bands or musicians are and how great they are, I have to stop myself from not laughing out loud.
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Posts: 1,829
    PJ is always going to be "that band that had that Jeremy video and then disappeared" to the general public. i don't think that's ever going to change unfortunately
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • i just think its funny that the people who barely know they exist dont pass up an opportunity to see them at a GA show. they were packed in like sardines at Jazzfest and i dont think a soul that was at Roo missed them. they stay the whole time too. they are probably secretly the biggest band on the whole damn planet ;)

maybe they've just been insanely lucky when it comes to weather at the ones ive attended.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    tinachen wrote:
    happens to me all the time, especially because I'm only 24 and people my age often don't even know who PJ are. And when people tell me what their favorite bands or musicians are and how great they are, I have to stop myself from not laughing out loud.

he he he I'm 36 and this STILL happens to me.. don't feel bad.:-)
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Not weird... you're either into a band or you're not. There are loads of bands that, when I hear about them, I ask myself the same question. I think you'll find that the large crowd at festivals is due to the fact that PJ freaks will take whatever PJ give - if it's a festival, so be it. We'll all be there!
  • redrock wrote:
    Not weird... you're either into a band or you're not. There are loads of bands that, when I hear about them, I ask myself the same question. I think you'll find that the large crowd at festivals is due to the fact that PJ freaks will take whatever PJ give - if it's a festival, so be it. We'll all be there!
    im not so sure about that. PJ fans take over the front 1/4 for sure, but the rest seems to be made up of people that heard Alive once on the radio and are curious. or else people that would never admit to liking such a big band.

but i know their terrible dark secret. :)

i dont mind hanging back and seeing them be blown away by the show. they usually seem to be.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    MrSmith wrote:
    redrock wrote:
    im not so sure about that. PJ fans take over the front 1/4 for sure, but the rest seems to be made up of people that heard Alive once on the radio and are curious. or else people that would never admit to liking such a big band.

but i know their terrible dark secret. :)

i dont mind hanging back and seeing them be blown away by the show. they usually seem to be.

Yeah I can't wait to take my sister,, she has no clue WHY I fight so hard and do whatever I can to go see them... but that's only cause she never has..And those who finally DO go usually go again..
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    I took a *1st Timer* last year! and THEY couldn't believe how GOOD PJ are "Live"...:) the MOST prominent Remark that sticks out was....."I can't believe how much they Interact with the Audience"
  • Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    I was wearing a circa ~95 t-shirt w/Eddie's face on it at Lollapalooza '07 & some clown asked me who was on my shirt. Mind you, Pearl Jam was the headliner.
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    many people go to large festivals (jazz fest, ACL, Bonnaroo, etc...) not because of the music, but becuase it's the cool thing to do...keep that in mind
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,390
    matt_baker wrote:
    +1

I blame ''musicians'' like justin beiber and lady gaga for ruining the collective musical consciousness.

:lol: So damn true! Much Music & Canada has been plaqued with this Justin Beaver kid on TV & radio airwave's. The hotest musican taking over the music here. I'm not sure how & who is pushing this kid to the top but it's horrifying!

I'm sorry Pearl Jam! Sorry that I live in a country where Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman & Justin Beiber are taking over this great land. Plaqing our radio & TV stations so we don't get a chance to see or hear you guy's up here. We're dying over here. Another reason why we beg & plead as we ask for a live show or 2 up here every year or so. To get the clens' from their bacteria of music that has us prisioned.

Back to the topic, I got almost 2 closests filled with purely Pearl Jam & Pearl Jam releated shirts. Yes, i'm a totaly geek. That's all I wear when i'm out on the town & even @ the jobsite. I would get comment's of the artwork & what show that was etc.. Not many have asked me if they are still around or who they were.
  • stranger34stranger34 Posts: 235
    With the direction the band is heading in, I don't think being grouped in with Bon Jovi is that unfair anymore. They've always been a guitar-classic rock band with a conscience. Now...
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    not weird at all.
    there are a ton of fans out there that will only listen to ten. and can't get into anything newer sadly.

those fans will go to the shows hoping to hear that first album. damn them for using good seat!!!!!!!!
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • BMo-643BMo-643 Posts: 220
    Basically it depends on who you are talking to...

If you are talking to a casual music fan...they don't get it...If you are talking to a musician, or someone who is really into music they will acknowledge PJ's greatness even if they aren't into them...This theory holds true in my experience...
    Cincinnati 06'
    Lollapalooza 07'
    Bonnaroo 08'
    Columbus 10'
    Noblesville 10'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Alpine Valley 11'
    Music Midtown 12'
    Wrigley Field 13'
    Cincinnati 14'
    Lexington 16'
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    BMo-643 wrote:
    Basically it depends on who you are talking to...

If you are talking to a casual music fan...they don't get it...If you are talking to a musician, or someone who is really into music they will acknowledge PJ's greatness even if they aren't into them...This theory holds true in my experience...

generally i agree.
    "The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Have to 'fess up that I wasn't into them until I saw "Into The Wild" and was blown away by the soundtrack. Bought it, and my (way cooler than me) nephew said, "That's the lead singer from Pearl Jam, I bet you'd love their music if you gave it a listen." And so I did, starting with "Ten" since I like to do things in an ordered fashion. Two years later I am a complete addict, downloaded everything, bought the goods, listen to them every single day, and have been lucky enough to see them live once, the EV solo tour, and now I'm looking forward to Boston in two weeks.

The 2008 tour was what pulled me in. Had seen Springsteen at Fenway Park and thought nothing could top that, and then along comes PJ and blows everything else out of the water.

So some of us missed the 90s and much of the 2000s but now are making up for lost time. And fully intend never to miss out again!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • tbhooptietbhooptie Posts: 137
    Have to 'fess up that I wasn't into them until I saw "Into The Wild" and was blown away by the soundtrack. Bought it, and my (way cooler than me) nephew said, "That's the lead singer from Pearl Jam, I bet you'd love their music if you gave it a listen." And so I did, starting with "Ten" since I like to do things in an ordered fashion. Two years later I am a complete addict, downloaded everything, bought the goods, listen to them every single day, and have been lucky enough to see them live once, the EV solo tour, and now I'm looking forward to Boston in two weeks.

The 2008 tour was what pulled me in. Had seen Springsteen at Fenway Park and thought nothing could top that, and then along comes PJ and blows everything else out of the water.

So some of us missed the 90s and much of the 2000s but now are making up for lost time. And fully intend never to miss out again!

Well, lets hope there are many more fun and exciting years to come!!! My first show was in 2000. No Code kinda knocked me off the wagon for a bit... but got back on and interesting enough, No Code is probably my fave album now... its all taste (and taste can definitely change over the years)

I will never lose the appetite for PJ though... its a lifestyle!
  • State of MindState of Mind Posts: 282

I'm right there with ya! I didn't discover PJ till 2001, just missing the 2000 tour, and saw them live in 2003. Haven't missed a chance to see them since, when they are in town. Love, love, love this band and and hope to see them for years and years to come. Both of my kids now are huge fans and we see shows together! Hope you and your nephew get to rock out together! :D
    stranger34 wrote:
    With the direction the band is heading in, I don't think being grouped in with Bon Jovi is that unfair anymore. They've always been a guitar-classic rock band with a conscience. Now...

Totallly unfair - JBJ is a choad-smoker who sells his music wherever he can peddle it, including country and top 40, who pleads with his fans to vote his videos and singles up the popular charts. Pearl Jam, on the other hand, has remained true to their roots (The Who, Uncle Neil, Bruce, Ramones, etc). Damn me straight to hell if Eddie's voice EVER appears on country radio or if he starts using The Porch to ask us to vote for a PJ video in a poll.
    Black73 wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

Totallly unfair - JBJ is a choad-smoker who sells his music wherever he can peddle it, including country and top 40, who pleads with his fans to vote his videos and singles up the popular charts. Pearl Jam, on the other hand, has remained true to their roots (The Who, Uncle Neil, Bruce, Ramones, etc). Damn me straight to hell if Eddie's voice EVER appears on country radio or if he starts using The Porch to ask us to vote for a PJ video in a poll.

100% +1
  • MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Posts: 687
    i_lov_it wrote:
    I took a *1st Timer* last year! and THEY couldn't believe how GOOD PJ are "Live"...:) the MOST prominent Remark that sticks out was....."I can't believe how much they Interact with the Audience"

Awesome! I also took a good friend of mine to her first PJ show, and halfway through the set she turns to me and says "obsessed" Seriously, the hardest part is getting people to actually go to the show. I tell my friends all the time, Pearl Jam is not what you think they are, Just come to the show and you will see what its all about. Man...I love this band.

I'm right there with ya! I didn't discover PJ till 2001, just missing the 2000 tour, and saw them live in 2003. Haven't missed a chance to see them since, when they are in town. Love, love, love this band and and hope to see them for years and years to come. Both of my kids now are huge fans and we see shows together! Hope you and your nephew get to rock out together! :D

I say welcome to you both! When Jeremy was getting all its MTV play back in the day, I was skeptical to believe Eddie's speeches about not wanting all the attention & thought it a ploy to sell more albums. In late '92 I saw he and the band were for real, and it's been an amazing trip since then - including a campaign against TicketMaster in an attempt to help fans get decent-priced tix - making a believer out of me. You can imagine my excitement, now 18 years later, that I'm taking my 2 sons (age 10 & 8) to their first concert - I wouldn't stand for it being anyone other than Pearl Jam - Thursday in Columbus! Believe it or not, I don't think I'm the most excited out of the three of us either...it's a tie between Will (10...his favorite album is Ten) and Tim (8...his favorite is Backspacer).

Converts: come one, come all!
    tbhooptie wrote:
    Black73 wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

100% +1

Hey Hooptie...you gonna be at The Garage Thursday? Gotta introduce you to the 2 newest PJ faithful before the show!
    Black73 wrote:
    Black73 wrote:
    stranger34 wrote:

Hey Hooptie...you gonna be at The Garage Thursday? Gotta introduce you to the 2 newest PJ faithful before the show!

I will be at Indy... taking my wife for her first show.

My brother is with us taking his fiancee for her first show also!!

I love PJ Newbs! They have no idea of the awesomeness that is about to commence upon them... its like being baptized or something... haha. From that moment you will never look at music the same way. Now its music as compared to Pearl Jam...
    :lol::lol:
    We wanted to do Columbus also, but we have a 4 year old and 6 month old... Couldn't make Grandma watch em TOO much... Just glad I am getting to a show!

Hope your kids have a great experience!