Fly out of Newark or LGA after MSG shows?

ECMECM Posts: 1,687
edited May 2010 in The Porch
I'm probably staying a couple blocks away from Penn Station. How long will each airport take to get there from Penn? Is it a pain in the ass?

It would be mid afternoon. Newark has the quicker flight back home. Advice?
wishlistfoundation.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• OkOk Posts: 2,144
    LGA will be closer for you, and my experience is that generally cheaper, but of course there are deals to be found out of both. generally cab will run you $75-100 to newark, including tolls, about $25-40 to LGA from Penn.
  • jpclairjpclair Posts: 22
    JFK is an option too. You can take the LIRR to the AirTran from Penn Station. JFK and Newark are each about 30 minutes by train.

07/02/03 - Mansfield
    06/01/06 - E. Rutherford
    06/03/06 - E. Rutherford
    06/30/08 - Mansfield
    08/04/08 - EV - NYC
    08/05/08 - EV - NYC
    05/20/10 - MSG
    05/21/10 - MSG
    06/21/11 - EV - NYC
    05/02/16 - MSG
    02/06/22 - EV & the Earthlings
    09/14/22 - Camden
  • PJ Fan est. 1990PJ Fan est. 1990 Posts: 1,788
    jpclair wrote:
    JFK is an option too. You can take the LIRR to the AirTran from Penn Station. JFK and Newark are each about 30 minutes by train.

i think it's cheaper to go to JFK...from Penn Station, take the LIRR to Jamaica Train Station and then the AirTrain to JFK. The LIRR and AirTrain connect at Jamaica.
  • ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    If I do Newark, how difficult is the train from Penn (and how long?)

That's the better time for me vs LGA.
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 586
    Newark it's better aiport overall.
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • weremin23weremin23 Posts: 311
    If I do Newark, how difficult is the train from Penn (and how long?)

That's the better time for me vs LGA.

Penn to Newark will run you about 30 minutes, but is about $15 one way.

Penn to LGA can be accessed many ways. Cab, but don't waste your money. There's a bus that runs from Penn to LGA (I think Grand Central too) I think it's $15. Or if you really want to save money, take the E train from Penn to Roosevelt Avenue in Queens, then take the Q33 to LGA. Only is $2.25, but will take about an hour.

JFK is the easier of the two NY airports to access (not inlcuding NewarK), which is odd given it's location. Penn Station to Jamaica on LIRR, then AirTrain. Will take 45 minutes. About $10-$15 depending on time of day.

Hope this helps
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    JFK has one runway this summer due to construction. I would avoid at all costs. newark will take a little longer, but its not that bad.
  • Dissident67Dissident67 Posts: 568
    Take NJ Transit out of Penn Station to Newark Airport, its the easiest way to go. If memory serves its 12 dollars and is about a 25-30 minute ride. If you can fly out of there I would suggest it.
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • weremin23weremin23 Posts: 311
    Ok wrote:
    JFK has one runway this summer due to construction. I would avoid at all costs. newark will take a little longer, but its not that bad.

Runway closure has posed very little impact at JFK. Airlines cut schedules to compensate. JFK is fine. If the flight is cheapest out of there, go out of JFK.
  • NYCslackerNYCslacker Posts: 54
    I've been on two delayed flights out of JFK recently. It might have been a convenient excuse but they said was due to the runway closure.

As others have said, from Penn Station, Newark via Airtrain is definitely the best option. There is also a bus that departs from Port Authority that is also a good option, especially if it's not during rush hour and if you have a lot of luggage to manage, there's less schlepping involved.

JFK is second best due to LIRR or E train connections to AirTrain.

If you want to avoid public transportation, a car service is also a good option using one of the budget companies like Carmel or Dial 7s. It's probably around $50 not including tip and tolls. Neither are luxurious but are generally dependable and if you spit it, a real bargain. There are usually coupons on their websites, too.
  • YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    LGA is a pain in the ass because the only form of mass transit that accesses it is a bus. i prefer trains so i'd go with newark.

jfk is by far the most convenient of the 3 though.

air train for the fuckin win.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status