why does ESPN show soccer scores?

WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,973
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
we don't need 'em. I have no fucking idea who these teams are or where they play. Wigan? :wtf:

world cup, maybe.
If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
VIC 07
EV LA1 08
Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
Columbus 10
EV LA 11
Vancouver 11
Missoula 12
Portland 13, Spokane 13
St. Paul 14, Denver 14
Philly I & II, 16
Denver 22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Many people follow the English Premier League!

Skysports in the UK shows NFL & NBA scores...they even show highlights! They even show Monday night Football (The U.S. Version) live at 1am in the UK!

FYI, Wigan is 3/4 down the table, but safe from relegation. They have a season-ending fixture at Chelsea on Sunday.
  • Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in the world so kinda makes sense.

Wigan is a town BTW
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    It's football!!!

They show loads of games.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,973
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

FYI, Wigan is 3/4 down the table, but safe from relegation. They have a season-ending fixture at Chelsea on Sunday.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: say what? ;)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    How about because it's the biggest sport in the world.

Wigan for the win on sunday btw!
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    imalive wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: say what? ;)

Wigan is in 15th place in a league of 20 teams.

A fixture is a scheduled match.

Wigan isn't in the bottom 3 in the standings, so they won't get demoted to the next division down.....We don't have "relegation" in U.S. Sports.
  • Brock SamsonBrock Samson Posts: 328
    that doesn't bother me as much as espn covering the friggin' spelling bee.
    9/1/00, 9/2/00, 9/3/00, 12/31/00, 3/2/01, 4/29/01, 6/21/01, 7/25/01, 8/31/01, 9/1/01, 9/2/01, 4/18/02, 8/30/02, 8/31/02, 8/31/02, 9/1/02, 9/22/02, 3/22/03, 5/6/03, 6/29/03, 8/29/03, 8/30/03, 8/30/03, 8/31/03, 2/21/04, 4/2/04, 4/3/04, 9/3/04, 9/4/04, 9/4/04, 9/5/04, 2/19/05, 7/22/05, 9/2/05, 9/3/05, 9/3/05, 9/4/05, 1/22/06, 6/7/06, 9/1/06, 9/2/06, 9/2/06, 9/3/06, 7/6/07, 8/31/07, 9/1/07, 9/1/07, 9/2/07, 3/7/08, 8/29/08, 8/30/08, 8/30/08, 8/31/08, 7/11/09, 6/4/10, 6/11/11
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in the world so kinda makes sense.

Wigan is a town BTW

That was going to be my answer.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

How about because it's the biggest sport in the world.
    the world, but not the u.s. we don't give a shit. :lol:
    moe.ron wrote:
    that doesn't bother me as much as espn covering the friggin' spelling bee.
    espn2.....but you have a point.

sometimes, like now, I just throw shit out there to see if I get a response. I respect you soccer guys, even if I (& the vast majority of the US) don't get it. But I do know, I was in Ireland during the last world cup and getting a baseball score was nearly impossible. Baseball's pretty popular worldwide too, no? Yet, Brit TV doesn't clutter up their ticker with our sport...

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Funny.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    oh would have preferred: why does ESPN show fluff pieces on retarded kids hitting 3 pointers once a week?

:smokebomb:
    fuck! it's my arch-nemesis jones. :shock:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    imalive wrote:
    fuck! it's my arch-nemesis jones. :shock:

:evil: :lol:
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    i'm an american and soccer is the best sport in the world.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Ever since that Spice Girl's husband signed here
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Soccer's just a bunch of hooliganism.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • LBCLBC Posts: 74

Man U fan dreaming? :shock:

Chelsea will be the pie eaters.
    A truant finds home
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Gah, you just reminded me I still need to register for spring league, i got suckered into playing tmrw!
    Shit...

[the moral of the story: ESPN is showing soccer scores so that you would get mad and in turn start a thread - which i would read before going to bed reminding me i never actually registered to play....]
    funny how the world works!!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    LBC wrote:

Ya got me in one.
    It could happen. Right?
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The real answer to your question which i don't think anyone has mentioned is I'm fairly sure espn is signed on to carry the world cup. Over the past 6-8 months they have slowly increased soccer coverage in an attempt to pump up appeal for the US audiance to get maximum viewers.

As always with ESPN it is about the cash involved. Which they are in business to make money so I don't hold it against them too much.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    imalive wrote:
    ... Baseball's pretty popular worldwide too, no? Yet, Brit TV doesn't clutter up their ticker with our sport...

no not really. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    imalive wrote:
    Baseball's pretty popular worldwide too, no?

god no.. it's insanely fucking boring.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    haffajappa wrote:
    Gah, you just reminded me I still need to register for spring league, i got suckered into playing tmrw!
    Shit...

[the moral of the story: ESPN is showing soccer scores so that you would get mad and in turn start a thread - which i would read before going to bed reminding me i never actually registered to play....]
    funny how the world works!!
    glad I could help. :mrgreen:
    intodeep wrote:
    The real answer to your question which i don't think anyone has mentioned is I'm fairly sure espn is signed on to carry the world cup. Over the past 6-8 months they have slowly increased soccer coverage in an attempt to pump up appeal for the US audiance to get maximum viewers.

As always with ESPN it is about the cash involved. Which they are in business to make money so I don't hold it against them too much.
    ahhhhhh...... :think:. good point.
    imalive wrote:
    ... Baseball's pretty popular worldwide too, no? Yet, Brit TV doesn't clutter up their ticker with our sport...

no not really. 8-)
    it's popular everywhere but europe. europe loves boring ass soccer! :lol::lol:
    I may head down to the british pub later.....drink some warm beer, eat some bad food and watch a little soccer.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    imalive wrote:

I may head down to the british pub later.....drink some warm beer, eat some bad food and watch a little soccer.

cool man... i was thinking of heading to an American bar later.... drink some carbonated buffalo piss which has the alochol content of a dwarf's tears, eat my own bodyweight in burgers and other such fried shit and then watch a little bunch of men in pyjamas hit a fucking ball.

have fun. ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    dunkman wrote:
    imalive wrote:

cool man... i was thinking of heading to an American bar later.... drink some carbonated buffalo piss which has the alochol content of a dwarf's tears, eat my own bodyweight in burgers and other such fried shit and then watch a little bunch of men in pyjamas hit a fucking ball.

have fun. ;)

lol...

Except where I live, people rather watch cars covered in stickers race around the same oval track a few hundred times.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I'm glad ESPN is begrudgingly showing more soccer highlights. Their soccer coverage still sucks though. They probably are trying to brace Americans for the World Cup. Six billion people can't be wrong folks. And way freaking more exciting than baseball! I'd rather watch Chelsea and Man United play to a 1-1 tie versus the Yanks and Red Sox play to a 10-8 score any day. But I am the exception here.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    I will say ever since ESPN started broadcasting the premier league, I watch them all the time and have started following the league. And I'll watch the fox soccer chanel for some of the Spanish and italian league games. I think it will make the world cup even more fun to watch now that I know a lot of the players better.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    dunkman wrote:
    imalive wrote:

have fun. ;)
    :lol::lol:

note to self: don't fuck with dunk.
    but I already knew that :mrgreen:

for the record..... I do like "your" beer....I just like it cold.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,448
    i think the bigger question is why espn shows scores of women's sports - wnba, women's college bball, etc. - no one gives 2 shits about those sports. if men won't bet on it then i'd say you shouldn't show the scores.
  • LBCLBC Posts: 74
    LBC wrote:

Ya got me in one.
    It could happen. Right?

It could happen. Just don't think it will.

Still, it could be worse. You could support Liverpool! :lol:
    A truant finds home