Soundchecks & Setlist Scans

Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
edited May 2010 in The Porch
Anyone ever checkout sound checks and set list scans for shows they attended? I've been reminiscing by looking at my shows on Two Feet Thick and started paying attention to the songs that were sound checked or on the set list, but not played. Quite a few of the songs I've never heard and really wanted to hear were among these. Kind of a bummer to miss them, but cool to see nonetheless. Songs I've never heard but were sound checked or on lists, but not played for my shows:

San Antonio '03 - U
Houston '03 - Rival, Leatherman
Dallas '03 - Habit (Jeff actually said "Skip Habit, fuck Habit" so they skipped it - funny stuff)
MSG 2 '03 - Footsteps, Leaving Here, Soldier of Love
Hartford '06 - U

They don't have notes or scans for all shows, so those are the only ones I could confirm. Interesting to see though.

http://www.twofeetthick.com/concert-chronology/
"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    Christchurch '09 - 'Leash' was on the Setlist and they didn't play it. I truly think I will never get over this. Talking about it now though is helping a little bit. :cry:
  • Citizen ZackCitizen Zack Posts: 1,763
    Easties wrote:
    Christchurch '09 - 'Leash' was on the Setlist and they didn't play it. I truly think I will never get over this. Talking about it now though is helping a little bit. :cry:

That sucks. I finally got Leash in Hartford '08 and it was intense. Hopefully they'll visit you again soon for another chance.

I'm trying not to be bothered by having Rival and Footsteps on lists but not played at shows I attended. One of these days...
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

• drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    At the Vic Dirty Frank was on the setlist but not played. At the time I was not really even thinking about it since that show was beyond amazing. However... that might be as close as I ever get. :)

In 2000 at Alpine Oceans was on the setlist but scrapped. That one kills.

As for soundchecks... Philly with Black Red Yellow and not played was a tough one.

I'm spoiled though, I know it. But those are the toughest three...
    drsluggo wrote:
    At the Vic Dirty Frank was on the setlist but not played. At the time I was not really even thinking about it since that show was beyond amazing. However... that might be as close as I ever get. :)

In 2000 at Alpine Oceans was on the setlist but scrapped. That one kills.

As for soundchecks... Philly with Black Red Yellow and not played was a tough one.

I'm spoiled though, I know it. But those are the toughest three...

Oceans and Black, Red, Yellow are probably the two songs - well, along with Light Years - that I haven't heard in 11 shows and would love to get the most, so I feel your pain on that. But you're right, we're spoiled by everything else they play so it's no big deal really. Just interesting to see what might have been.

• BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    Detroit '06 soundcheck: Alone, Breath, In Hiding, Breakerfall, You Are, Gone(acoustic), Garden, All or None, Faithfull (partial and out of order) ... none of which were played...

Pittsburgh '06 soundcheck included Of The Girl and Breath, neither of which was played.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    8/23/00 Jones Beach soundcheck:

soundcheck: Breath riffs, Timeless Melody, All Those Yesterdays (x2), Garden, Mankind, Breath, Whipping, Insignificance

Only Mankind, Whipping, and Insignificance were played over the course of the 3-night stint.

But the soundcheck was audible and viewable...so, success!
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    They played Timeless Melody a few days later in Saratoga.

I think the soundchecks sometimes have songs they will do a bit later, not necessarily that night even though sometimes the songs DO show up that night.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    justam wrote:
    They played Timeless Melody a few days later in Saratoga.

I think the soundchecks sometimes have songs they will do a bit later, not necessarily that night even though sometimes the songs DO show up that night.

You're probably right about sound check songs not always being intended for that night. Some of the songs that they sound checked but didn't play at shows I attended showed up in the next few days. But he mentioned Garden and All Those Yesterdays from Jones Beach 2000 sound check. They ended up not playing either and Garden didn't resurface until 2006 and All Those Yesterdays until 2003 and only twice more since then. Makes me wonder what factors go into this process. Certain songs seemed to get shelved for years. Maybe it's to make us want them more because if a song goes without play for a short amount of time the requests start popping up everywhere. I was lucky to see Garden twice but I'd be beside myself if I got All Those Yesterdays.