Jazzmaster Pickups

keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
edited May 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been looking all over the net but I still can't find a definitive answer.. What are Jazzmaster pickups exactly? Do they sound P-90ish? Humbucker ish? Thanks!
Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Actually, stock Jazzmaster pickups tend to be lower-output, with less bass and more treble. That isn't to say they're weak pickups, as they've been used a bunch by Sonic Youth and other groups with lots of distortion or fuzz. Elvis Costello has used almost nothing but Jazzmasters for decades, so you can hear the wide range of tones he gets from them.

It is possible to get some upgraded pickups for Jazzmasters. Seymour Duncan makes a "Hot for Jazzmaster" pickup that has amazing tone. They're a little more like an overwound P-90, with a deeper tone and more output.

There are a ton of videos on YouTube of Jazzmaster demos, so check those out to see the range of tones people get from them. They are cool guitars, although I don't personally care for all the knobs, switches, buttons, and stuff they have on them (I really only ever need a pickup selector).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.