Question about song writing credits

gems_n_rhinestonesgems_n_rhinestones Posts: 382
edited April 2010 in The Porch
Does anyone happen to know how song writing credits are given? Maybe there's no set standard they use, but I've just been curious about this for awhile...

Mainly because "Pearl Jam" is listed as the composer/writer for all or almost all songs on Backspacer, yet I thought I remember reading someone from the band saying that was the first album for a while they came into the studio with all the songs written before they recorded. I don't know maybe they all got together before going in to the studio and did the song writing together?

And then on the other hand, a lot of the music on Ten was already written and Eddie came in and wrote lyrics, yet he is given first credit.

Not that it matters, just curious...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I posed this question a while ago, actually, and my understanding from responses was that the band members (at least in PJ's case) that get credit are the ones that came up with the "meat" of the song. Like the main riff, or the chorus, or whatever.

And I think Ed gets first credit as I think that's the standard position for the one that writes the lyrics.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • And I think Ed gets first credit as I think that's the standard position for the one that writes the lyrics.

Ok, that's what I was wondering. If the lyrical credits are given first.