Credit report checking

bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
edited May 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Should jobs be allowed to look into people's credit as a basis of hiring? It sounds unfair and discrimitory. I'm not talking about jobs dealing with money either.
11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    No they shouldn't!!! :evil:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    high level positions or any that deal with money or company property...yes

and they are only allowed if you agree to allow them. same with crimal. but if you don't allow, then you are screwed
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I would say it depends on the job... if you are a plumber, no, but if you work around money (obviously) or in any position that you have access to really anything valuable (data, credit card info, personal info, etc), then I don't have a problem with it.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    My employer does check.

However we deal with federal contracts and I am sure those with bad credit/major financial problems would be more likely to accept bribes/kickbacks and should be scrutinized.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I think it is a good idea for employers to run credit checks. In many cases, a low credit score may be a reflection of the way the employee handles his/her affairs. If an employer does take issue with a prospective employee's credit score, hopefully they give the applicant a chance to explain.
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I was just offered a position at a great company and I had to sign a release for a background check. Fine with me.
    I've been out of work for almost 11 months. Check whatever you need to check.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    i've been at my job for a LONG time. they did a credit check on me. they want to see who is vulnerable, who is in debt that could be bought.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • bigbadbill wrote:
    Should jobs be allowed to look into people's credit as a basis of hiring? It sounds unfair and discrimitory. I'm not talking about jobs dealing with money either.

Hell No!

It's as sick and wrong as examining employees' urine.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I have a corporate credit card so it makes sense that they do in this case.

For the regular position that doesn't have direct access to company $ or accounts, etc. then I'd say "no".
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,618
    yes. depends on the job.

in my line of work we now have to be licensed in each state we do business in. and each state now requires background checks which include credit checks. if there are issues on it, you are given the chance to explain them before being denied a license though.
    www.myspace.com
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    I feel its unfair to look at crdit reprots for hiring purposes, but in today's economy I guess they can be as picky as they want and do that!
    Its just gonna keep the poor, poor...and the rich, richer! Many very good people have bad credit reports and vice a versa. I think its will stop after a little while.
    Save room for dessert!
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    I feel its unfair to look at crdit reprots for hiring purposes, but in today's economy I guess they can be as picky as they want and do that!
    Its just gonna keep the poor, poor...and the rich, richer! Many very good people have bad credit reports and vice a versa. I think its will stop after a little while.

If no one hires people who have debt, how can these people pay their debts back? Rob people? Sell drugs?
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Absolutely not.

My ex-to-be ended up with some really high medical bills. I know some will show up on credit reports as medical centers, hospitals, etc. So, right off the bat an employer would know things about me and my life that they have NO business knowing and I'm sure I would be excluded for it. Bullshit.
    I carried a watermelon
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    If the position involves finances and large decision making, then quite possibly yes. If a person is not able to control thier own finances and have a poor credit rating, then shouldn't that raise flags as to thier suitability for a position within a company and dealing with those very issues on a much larger scale.

But if the position has nothing to do with such issues then I would be querying as to why it is that they want to know such personal and sensitive information.
    Heatherj43 wrote:

please. give me a break. do you seriously think only poor people have bad credit?

believe me, rich people can be just as careless with their money as poor people can be.
    www.myspace.com
    If the position involves finances and large decision making, then quite possibly yes. If a person is not able to control thier own finances and have a poor credit rating, then shouldn't that raise flags as to thier suitability for a position within a company and dealing with those very issues on a much larger scale.

But if the position has nothing to do with such issues then I would be querying as to why it is that they want to know such personal and sensitive information.

this guy, set to make sense.

all depends on the job people.
    www.myspace.com

Girl!! pls :lol:

But you got the drift anyway :D

Girl!! pls :lol:

But you got the drift anyway :D
    please accept my apologies!
    www.myspace.com

Cook me one those steaks! ;)

Cook me one those steaks! ;)

DEAL.
    www.myspace.com
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I think it sucks myself. It fucks good people over in some cases.

I work with a girl ( at a bank ) and her credit is complete shit. It's complete shit because she lost her house and 3 cars when she couldn't pay for them. She couldn't pay for them because her husband went to prison. Her husband went to prison for beating the shit out of her and her kids. Now her credit is hosed, and she suffers still because her husband was an abusive asshole. It has nothing to do with her character or any nonsense, but she is fucked for the time being.

So what? She is dishonest for not having a good credit score? She is the hardest working person in our office.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    bigbadbill wrote:
    Heatherj43 wrote:

If no one hires people who have debt, how can these people pay their debts back? Rob people? Sell drugs?
    I know! Also, every time anyone looks at your credit report it raises the number. Just for looking!! Maybe there should be a law, eh?
    This world gets crazier and crazier. The only good thing is that I am getting older and older and won't be around when I just can't take it anymore, (or will have dementia and won't know)!
    Save room for dessert!
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    yeah we hear nowadays that an employer may just look up one's chit chatting online.
    i say if the would be employer does and can't take jokes then why would someone wanna work for the prick?
    to all my potential future employers = kiss my fuckin ass.

:mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    yeah we hear nowadays that an employer may just look up one's chit chatting online.
    i say if the would be employer does and can't take jokes then why would someone wanna work for the prick?

Exactly! Even about the credit report check. I really wouldn't want to work for any place that does crap like that. The workplace environment must suck too.
    Many companies have policies they go by and even though most of the people who work there don't agree, and the policies may even be bad for the comapny itself, they just continue going by the stupid policies.
    I know I have worked at a place or two that have policies concerning absenteeism and tardiness. Well, that sounds all good and stuff, but there would be people who did as they were suppose to concerning those rules, but did little work while there, yet there would be people who had to miss a lot or be late for various reasons, but worked their ass off while there. The latter person made the company way more money, but would get fired, only because of the "rules". And even though the immediate bosses didn't want to fire the person, they had to live by the rules too. Its like corporations...there really isn't any one person who can make exceptions. There isn't anyone who can look at these things and really do what is best for the company. Everyone just abides by the rules, even thoguh they may be bad for business. It drives me crazy. In dealing with these types of companies as a customer, it drives me nuts when there isn't anyone who I can REALLY talk to about my issues. Each person I speak with says "well I can't help you I JUST work here". There isn't anyone who doesn't "just work there". This is especially true with complaints. The person will say that to me when I have a complaint and tell me they are just abiding by policy!!! Argh!
    I prefer working for and doing business with small places because of this.
    Save room for dessert!
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

Exactly! Even about the credit report check. I really wouldn't want to work for any place that does crap like that. The workplace environment must suck too.
    Many companies have policies they go by and even though most of the people who work there don't agree, and the policies may even be bad for the comapny itself, they just continue going by the stupid policies.
    I know I have worked at a place or two that have policies concerning absenteeism and tardiness. Well, that sounds all good and stuff, but there would be people who did as they were suppose to concerning those rules, but did little work while there, yet there would be people who had to miss a lot or be late for various reasons, but worked their ass off while there. The latter person made the company way more money, but would get fired, only because of the "rules". And even though the immediate bosses didn't want to fire the person, they had to live by the rules too. Its like corporations...there really isn't any one person who can make exceptions. There isn't anyone who can look at these things and really do what is best for the company. Everyone just abides by the rules, even thoguh they may be bad for business. It drives me crazy. In dealing with these types of companies as a customer, it drives me nuts when there isn't anyone who I can REALLY talk to about my issues. Each person I speak with says "well I can't help you I JUST work here". There isn't anyone who doesn't "just work there". This is especially true with complaints. The person will say that to me when I have a complaint and tell me they are just abiding by policy!!! Argh!

can i ask what you do for a living?
    www.myspace.com
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

Disabled, but I am a licensed social worker. I only worked for non-profits, not the gov.
    Save room for dessert!
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    Heatherj43 wrote:

Disabled, but I am a licensed social worker. I only worked for non-profits, not the gov.

then you probably don't have anything to worry about.

i sell mortgages. don't you think it makes sense for someone entrusted to deal with something as important as someone's home and money can at least manager their own money? most states, in addition to requiring us to pass a test, now require credit checks to be ran. BUT---if the scores are low or if there are issues on there that need explaining, they give us the opportunity to explain them before getting a denial. i kind of think that is fair.
    www.myspace.com
    Okay, maybe some professions need this, but not everyone's!
    Save room for dessert!
    Heatherj43 wrote:
    Okay, maybe some professions need this, but not everyone's!

it's not happening for every profession!
    www.myspace.com