Songs order in studio Albums

dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
edited April 2010 in The Porch
how u think the band choose which song goes where in the studio album?
like in ten, once is normal to be number 1,,in backspacer. the end,last
u think they put they put songs in random?,in a way they want to show their new sound?depence if its a slow,fast..?lyrics maybe have a continiuing?etc..thoughts?
"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
"..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
“..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,360
    how u think the band choose which song goes where in the studio album?
    like in ten, once is normal to be number 1,,in backspacer. the end,last
    u think they put they put songs in random?,in a way they want to show their new sound?depence if its a slow,fast..?lyrics maybe have a continiuing?etc..thoughts?

It's anything but random. They think about the sequencing a lot-- every band does. In the past, Pearl Jam has talked about wanting to modulate the flow of the album. For example, the first four tracks on "Backspacer" are all uptempo and rocking, so "Just Breathe" gives the listener a chance to catch his or her breath (no pun intended).

You can definitely look at Pearl Jam albums and see patterns in how they sequence. For example, the album closers are pretty much all in the same vein-- slower, quieter, in some cases more atmospheric, than the "average" Pearl Jam song.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I think with alotta bands they'll come up with a handful of different tracklists and go from there.

Not too sure that song titles come into the equation, but they might, given your example of The End and also Parting Ways, Release. I don't think they'd do those unless they fit though.

I think they would tend to just go with their favorite collective flow.
  • PJ44PJ44 Posts: 153
    i wonder on Vitalogy

Last Exit is the 1st song, meaning this is your last chance to turn it off before album continues. Probably not but this is fun to come up with ideas, ha
    PJ44
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    PJ44 wrote:
    i wonder on Vitalogy

Last Exit is the 1st song, meaning this is your last chance to turn it off before album continues. Probably not but this is fun to come up with ideas, ha
    yep,,i was thinking of binaural..,,i think the whole songs tittles is like a story ,every tittle is a puzzle to put the whole story together..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • I love the order of Backspacer for doing the elliptical at the gym. The first 4 songs get you really going... take a little break with "Just Breathe"... work your heart rate back up with the next 2... really speed it up with Supersonic and then gradually work your way down til you get to "The End" aka cool down. "Just Breathe" and "The End" are fitting titles ;) I usually do 35-40 minutes so the entire album is perfect!
    "And we don't need those guys 'cause you got me!" -EV
    "I miss you already... I miss you always."

Philly- 10.03.05
    DC- 05.30.06
    Philly- 10.31.09
    NYC- 05.21.10
    Seattle- 07.15.11
    Brooklyn- 10.19.13
    Baltimore!- 10.27.13
    Philly- 4.29.16
  • yep,,i was thinking of binaural..,,i think the whole songs tittles is like a story ,every tittle is a puzzle to put the whole story together..

+1 Your exactly right about Binaural dimitrispearljam.
    I have always felt like the songs on Yield and Binaural are telling one long story.
    Those 2 albums have always felt kinda spiritual in a way to me.
  • dreamcodedreamcode Posts: 165
    I´m sure Pearl Jam also takes into consideration, that the track order also has to apply for vinyls where each side has a beginning and an end.

I agree that Pearl Jam records often hits off hard and up-tempo and finishes quietly and slowly. But for a vinyl A-side closener and a B-side opener these rules doesn´t always apply.

I don´t have any PJ vinyls myself (other than fanclub singles) but my guess would be that "Insignificance" is an A-side closener with "Of a girl" hitting off the B-side of Binaural. I don´t know where the cut wuld be on Backspacer: either close the A-side with a low and quiet "Just breathe" or with an up-tempo "Amongst the waves".

For sure the back-cover of No Code displays the fact that PJ thinks in vinyl A- and B-sides as the track-list is divided into two groups.

Are any of Pearl Jam´s albums double vinyls beside Lost Dogs?
    And he still gives his love,
    he just gives it away...
    dreamcode wrote:
    I´m sure Pearl Jam also takes into consideration, that the track order also has to apply for vinyls where each side has a beginning and an end.

I agree that Pearl Jam records often hits off hard and up-tempo and finishes quietly and slowly. But for a vinyl A-side closener and a B-side opener these rules doesn´t always apply.

I don´t have any PJ vinyls myself (other than fanclub singles) but my guess would be that "Insignificance" is an A-side closener with "Of a girl" hitting off the B-side of Binaural. I don´t know where the cut wuld be on Backspacer: either close the A-side with a low and quiet "Just breathe" or with an up-tempo "Amongst the waves".

For sure the back-cover of No Code displays the fact that PJ thinks in vinyl A- and B-sides as the track-list is divided into two groups.

Are any of Pearl Jam´s albums double vinyls beside Lost Dogs?
    avocado,binaural,riot act are double..the lost dogs is 3 vinyl...the RVM and Benaroya is 4 vinyl..
    and as Santos says...plural of VINYL,is VINYL...... :D
    I wrote "vinyls" meaning "vinyl records"... :P
    he just gives it away...
    dreamcode wrote:
    I wrote "vinyls" meaning "vinyl records"... :P
    no worrys..im still learning.. :lol::lol:
    What determines the amount of "information" (in lack of a better word) that a 33 rvm vinyl side can contain? I think a CD can contain approx. 76 minutes, but how much can a 33 rvm vinyl contain on each side?
    he just gives it away...
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,385
    dreamcode wrote:
    What determines the amount of "information" (in lack of a better word) that a 33 rvm vinyl side can contain? I think a CD can contain approx. 76 minutes, but how much can a 33 rvm vinyl contain on each side?

I think the weight of the vinyl comes into play, but I'm not entirely sure.
    TrAvELAr wrote:
    dreamcode wrote:

I think the weight of the vinyl comes into play, but I'm not entirely sure.
    i think the same..im not sure..
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    A record side will hold around 25 minutes.

I don't think weight means anything except that it's more durable.