advice on getting rid of a fender jagstang

Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
edited April 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
a couple of years ago i got rid of all but 1 guitar, foolishly choosing this for nostalgia. it's a great guitar and my 1st but it has a smaller neck, which was great when i was a teenager and learning but now....i'm not liking it as much. it seems like hitting a d chord is too calculated an effort.

i guess i'd get more selling it than trading it in but does anyone happen to know how much would be a reasonable amount to get for it? i'd like to keep the pickups, i could switch them with whatever i get to replace the jagstang, i suppose. i slightly modified it changing the pickguard and pickup selector switch

l_c4c7825eda63433fa72a7adc677d4cd6.jpg
don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hopo311hopo311 Posts: 63
    Hey Man, that's a great looking guitar. I recently bought one myself, wish i had scene yours earlier as the pickups you put in are much better than the stock pickups. I've been seeing these on eBay a lot more recently and they are usually selling for upwards of 600+. Some people have them up there for over 750 or more! Depending on the serial number, they can sell for quite a bit. Does it say "Made in Japan" or "Crafted in Japan" on the back of the neck? The Made in Japan models are from the first issue of Jagstangs and some of the early crafted in japans are as well. The re-issue years have better wood but probably wouldn't fetch as much cash in terms of vintage value.

Anyway, I'd say test your luck on eBay as that one seems to be in solid condition or hold on to it for a few more years. It's a pretty cool guitar and they didn't make too many of them so it could be worth more as the years go on.

Hope that helps!
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    General rule of musical instrument retail sales is to only give 50% of a guitar's value in trade-in. It means trading a guitar in on another is a terrible idea.

eBay, like it or not, is the most reliable place to sell a guitar for market value. It means you're faced with shipping a guitar, but if you're okay with that, then eBay is the way to go.

Key to making a good eBay sale:
    1. Make sure everything is spelled right. A lot of things sell cheap when they're misspelled, and don't display when people search for them.
    2. Be honest about the guitar. List flaws, nicks and scratches, or non-original parts. The more up-front you are, the less worried people are that you're hiding something.
    3. Use a low starting price. If you want $600, then starting at $550 will scare everyone away. Start at $1, and people will bid like crazy. If you want, set a reserve price for the sale, but start low.
    4. Take decent pictures, and post them on the sale. For me to buy a guitar, I'd like to see the whole guitar. Front, back, neck/headstock, and case (if any). Closeups of any big scratches/dings/etc are a plus.
    5. Include the important info, like "Made in/Crafted in", year of manufacture (first few letters/numbers of the serial number), any replacement parts, etc. In this case, if you'd rather keep the pickups that are in it, then let people know what you have replaced them with (I assume you no longer have the stock/original pickups). Also let them know how you modified the pickguard/switch.

All that being said, the Jagstang is becoming a pretty good collector piece, so unless you really hate the guitar or are broke, it would be a good guitar to hang onto. Yours is less collectible because of the mods, but is still a cool piece. If you have the original parts, then you can probably get another 10% on the sale.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I'd make an offer if I had the money...simply FOR nostalgia...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    hmmm i may just hold on to it then. i had my amp stolen several years ago then i got a girlfriend with kids before i replaced it (hey, it's hard replacing a nice tube amp!) and eventually we got a decent solid state amp. i broke up with her but let them keep the amp and 1 of my guitars selling the other of mine and keeping this. i still don't have an amp and since my hands kind of outgrew the smaller fret board i used it mainly for spacey type stuff, not chords....having no amp and no acoustic i thought i could at least play chords and some things but the smaller neck is killing my d chord and making some others difficult

maybe i should just buy a cheap acoustic and worry about an electric when i actually have an amp
    don't compete; coexist

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

• Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    it says made in japan, i don't hate it, i just want something i can hit a d chord a lot easier on :mrgreen:
    don't compete; coexist