best Drum Song?

Comments

• DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    CJMST3K wrote:
    DangDang wrote:
    some songs as he sounds as if he's playing drums for another song..

It sounds awesome with Soundgarden songs, and recent PJ songs. I tremendously dislike it for the music that was previous to his joining. But you did put it accurately - When listening to a song, it sounds like he's playing drums for another song. Thusly, Evenflow and a number of other early songs are now a bathroom breaks for me.... :?

I see, that particular style fits with song that were "composed" while he was a member, but you don't think it fits with pre-Cameron PJ songs? (What a :!: I am, I don't think I noticed).

Also, I always thought that playing drums "up" would seem more natural & better-timing to me, that is, imagine sitting in front of drum set that hung upside down from the ceiling so that instead of "hitting down" a drum stick to hit a drum, you would instead flick up to hit the drums/cymbols, exception for the bass drum & high hat of course.

Matt's playing sounds like I imagine playing drums up would sound.
  • Brownie9160Brownie9160 Posts: 190
    Matt has some awesome fills on Save You :)
    Hartford 06
    Bonnaroo 08
    Hartford 08
    Mansfield I & II 08
    E.V. Boston I & II 08
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    DangDang wrote:
    I see, that particular style fits with song that were "composed" while he was a member, but you don't think it fits with pre-Cameron PJ songs? (What a :!: I am, I don't think I noticed).

Songs like Evenflow, SOLAT, Blood, Rats and a number of other songs used to be my favorite to hear. There was a lively sound to them, and an urgency. It was like lightning. Matt plays them in his own way like he doesn't care to learn how they went, or that it's outside of his comfort zone, so he just plays whatever or however.

His own drumming on his own songs is pure brilliance! His playing on a lot of the earlier catalog is not.

Here's a drummer-by-drummer comparison I did a year ago about Blood. It's the 5th post down.
    viewtopic.php?f=4&t=95437&hilit=abbruzzese+irons&start=75

DangDang wrote:
    Also, I always thought that playing drums "up" would seem more natural & better-timing to me, that is, imagine sitting in front of drum set that hung upside down from the ceiling so that instead of "hitting down" a drum stick to hit a drum, you would instead flick up to hit the drums/cymbols, exception for the bass drum & high hat of course.

I think you're referring to him playing off timing, correct? Like hitting a cymbal a little before you'd expect it to come in?

When I saw Matt years ago play Wishlist on Letterman, I loved his odd-timed cymbal hits on that song. I liked it, and was looking forward to hearing what he added to the band. But, over time, on so many songs, the effect is somewhat tiresome. And the way he changed a lot of the songs up that I used to love... made me long for the original music that inspired me. But again, his new stuff is great.

Here's the Wishlist I'm referring to. :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wH6gkhirhw
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    my favorite for sure is given to fly live on 2 legs... does matt not try anymore on this song. or is it just me? he doesn't seem to do those kinds of fills anymore. i'm not a drummer so i have no idea what i'm talking about

thanks
    jones wrote:
    my favorite for sure is given to fly live on 2 legs... does matt not try anymore on this song. or is it just me? he doesn't seem to do those kinds of fills anymore. i'm not a drummer so i have no idea what i'm talking about

thanks

Probably some differences on fills. I know he doesn't hit the snare much anymore, and he just whacks away at the toms... the snare hits anchored the song, so it no longer feels the same as they way he used to play it, which was similar to the way Jack played it. Here's what I mean...

Listen to 1:41 to 1:53... and clap your hands along with the SNARE drum.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjCmxkeeYks

Now listen to 1:36 to 1:46... and try to clap along with the snare drum... you can't... it was eliminated.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjCaRXZxRYM
    CJMST3K wrote:
    jones wrote:

thanks

Probably some differences on fills. I know he doesn't hit the snare much anymore, and he just whacks away at the toms... the snare hits anchored the song, so it no longer feels the same as they way he used to play it, which was similar to the way Jack played it. Here's what I mean...

Now listen to 1:36 to 1:46... and try to clap along with the snare drum... you can't... it was eliminated.

I kind of like less snares better, although the 2008 video above had a weird sounding (bwow) sound--personally, I've heard better drum versions than those both.

Ironically my 8-yr old just came up behind me & started playing drums on my back while I was watching those videos. Strange, isn't it.

There's only two drummers I've heard that stood far out from the "background/backbeat" of most songs & that's Keith Moon & Cameron.

I don't care if Cameron plays different for every version of any song. It adds to it.

Some songs he adds a wheel. As if the drum sounds go around in a wheel Do yas know what I mean? At the 10-28-09 show, I forget what song, but the usual wheel wasn't there & Vedder turns around & signaled "do that wheel thing" & then the wheel entered.
    CJMST3K wrote:
    DangDang wrote:

I think you're referring to him playing off timing, correct? Like hitting a cymbal a little before you'd expect it to come in?

Yes--timing just a fraction second off.

And also playing drums up would be cool, no? Or is it just me? :wtf:

And the drums wouldn't "hang" from the ceiling because then they would swing, but the drums would be however suspended so that you hit up on them rather than down on them. Fatigue & feasibility NOT considered :roll:
    DangDang wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    DangDang wrote:

Yes--timing just a fraction second off.

And also playing drums up would be cool, no? Or is it just me? :wtf:

And the drums wouldn't "hang" from the ceiling because then they would swing, but the drums would be however suspended so that you hit up on them rather than down on them. Fatigue & feasibility NOT considered :roll:

tommy lee had a rotating drumset that flipped upsidedown. :)
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    DangDang wrote:
    There's only two drummers I've heard that stood far out from the "background/backbeat" of most songs & that's Keith Moon & Cameron.

Others along those lines (in rock):

Neil Peart
    John Bonham
    Jimmy Chamberlain
    Tim Alexander
    Danny Carey
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    BinFrog wrote:
    DangDang wrote:

Others along those lines (in rock):

Neil Peart
    John Bonham
    Jimmy Chamberlain
    Tim Alexander
    Danny Carey

Jimmy Chamberlain is like a perfect merging of Cameron and Abbruzzese. He's not too heavy on the toms or odd timing, and not too splashy on the cymbals.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    hof,what do u think of Mat in God's Dice?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

As far a difficulty or as far as sounding?

God's Dice sounds very good, but it would be pretty easy for me to play... so I guess I'm comparing it based on that. There's a lot of cymbal hits, but all in relatively predictable places (which is not at all a bad thing).

Matt has written much harder to follow drums on Slight Of Hand, but since the drums are relatively quieter on SOH, it's not as noticeable. But that's just my opinion. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaC4oS-ykWg
    CJMST3K wrote:

As far a difficulty or as far as sounding?

God's Dice sounds very good, but it would be pretty easy for me to play... so I guess I'm comparing it based on that. There's a lot of cymbal hits, but all in relatively predictable places (which is not at all a bad thing).

Matt has written much harder to follow drums on Slight Of Hand, but since the drums are relatively quieter on SOH, it's not as noticeable. But that's just my opinion. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaC4oS-ykWg
    thats why i ask u ,couse drums is familiar to u..im talking about how it sounds,couse difficalty im not an expert to tell.
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Mr RockoMr Rocko Posts: 647
    W.M.A.
    México 24/11/2011
    thats why i ask u ,couse drums is familiar to u..im talking about how it sounds,couse difficalty im not an expert to tell.

I understand. God's Dice has very appropriate and good sounding drums for the song that it is.

I'm not a huge fan of that song. I prefer much of the VS and Vitalogy drums/music, though some of Backspacer is now also among my favorite as well.
  • IamBETELIamBETEL Posts: 110
    Most drum songs I like have been mentioned.

I love the drumming on Brain of J though for one that hasn't been mentioned.
    CJMST3K wrote:

I understand. God's Dice has very appropriate and good sounding drums for the song that it is.

I'm not a huge fan of that song. I prefer much of the VS and Vitalogy drums/music, though some of Backspacer is now also among my favorite as well.
    im a first a TEN guy,in all guitar,base,drums,lyrics,..vs comes next.. :)
  • AyeeeeAyeeee Posts: 80
    I find Matt can really add to corduroy live when he's in the zone. Also I LOVE the drums toward the end of Not For You on TB2K
    "Believe in lies... to get by..."
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    Dave A on ANIMAL
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Last Exit
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • whispering handswhispering hands Posts: 13,527
    JRUPS wrote:
    How about WMA?
    MY choice period.. there really hasn't been one to beat this one yet IMO
    edited October 2010
    CJMST3K wrote:
    tommy lee had a rotating drumset that flipped upsidedown. :)
    Post edited by DangDang on
    CJMST3K wrote:
    jones wrote:

thanks

thanks for the research.
    so he just doesn't wanna sound like jack maybe? i dunno. i miss the old sound...not complaining. love me some jack
    jones wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

thanks for the research.
    so he just doesn't wanna sound like jack maybe? i dunno. i miss the old sound...not complaining. love me some jack

Frankly, I think he struggles a little on songs like that, so I think he eliminated the snare parts for his comfort playing the song... but it changes the song for me.

Some of the more traditional Jack Irons songs Matt plays a bit better than Jack - but this song and a few others of Jacks were changed in my opinion to be easier for him to play... and Matt plays the songs the way Matt wants to play the songs, and that's that.
    thanks for the insight. would like to hear some older sounding stuff live. my first show was 08 so yea..

in my tree original in chi town was great to hear though. thought it was great
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    In My Tree
    Even Flow
    Go
    RVM
    Why Go

Just to name a few...:)
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    im a first a TEN guy,in all guitar,base,drums,lyrics,..vs comes next.. :)
    I hear Ya!... :thumbup:
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,435
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • evilutionevilution Posts: 67
    4 pages and no one said who you are? that was the 1st one i thought of.
  • why go homewhy go home Posts: 287
    Grievance
    Evacuation
    Who You Are
    And Spoonman!!
    Glasgow 00, Dublin 06, Lisbon 06, Lisbon 06, Munich 07, London 07, New York 08, New York 08, Manchester 09, London 09, Dublin 10, Belfast 10, London 10, Berlin 10, Manchester 12, Manchester 12, Berlin 12, Berlin 12, Amsterdam 14, Amsterdam 14, Berlin 14, Leeds 14,