Options

"Gay" dog refused entry to restaurant

flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
edited April 2010 in A Moving Train
Just when I thought the world had reached the limit of ignorance.....

==============================
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/2 ... 52543.html

An Australian restaurant has been forced to apologize and pay compensation after refusing to let a blind man enter because they thought his dog was gay.

In May 2009, Ian Jolly, 57, was attempting to dine at the Thai Spice restaurant in Adelaide, when he was refused entry after staff misheard his female companion, and thought his "guide dog" was a "gay dog."

"The staff genuinely believed that Nudge was an ordinary pet dog which had been desexed to become a gay dog," the owners said in a statement to South Australia's Equal Opportunity Tribunal.

Jolly is now set to receive a written apology and $1,400 compensation.

However, Jolly said that the situation had made him embarrassed about going to restaurants.

"I just want to be like everybody else and be able to go out for dinner, to be left alone and just enjoy a meal," he told Australian press.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    "The staff genuinely believed that Nudge was an ordinary pet dog which had been desexed to become a gay dog," the owners said in a statement to South Australia's Equal Opportunity Tribunal.

what the bloody fuck is a gay dog?

what kind of asshole even thinks this way?

and what if the dog was gay and a guide dog?

i'm moving to greenland
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219

An Australian restaurant has been forced to apologize and pay compensation after refusing to let a blind man enter because they thought his dog was gay.

In May 2009, Ian Jolly, 57, was attempting to dine at the Thai Spice restaurant in Adelaide, when he was refused entry after staff misheard his female companion, and thought his "guide dog" was a "gay dog."

However, Jolly said that the situation had made him embarrassed about going to restaurants.

"I just want to be like everybody else and be able to go out for dinner, to be left alone and just enjoy a meal," he told Australian press.
    $1,400.00 sounds about right for the penalty of stupidity in public.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353

I would love to know how the $1400 was reached. How can anyone involved have that conversation and not laugh uncontrollably.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    mikepegg44 wrote:
    I would love to know how the $1400 was reached. How can anyone involved have that conversation and not laugh uncontrollably.
    Seriously... how fucking stupid were the Thai Spice staff? A guy wearing dark sunglasses (indoors) with a dog, a white cane walks into a Thai restaurant...
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,071
    norm wrote:
    Well, it's like this. One dog gets up on...............ummm.
    Nevermind.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    mikepegg44 wrote:

LOL. The $1400 was probably the first figure thrown out there and they screamed " OK ! Where do we sign ??!!" just to get it over with.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,458
    Lizard wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Nevermind.

a cocker mix....a cocka......nevermind.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    This seems closer to being something on a south park episode than in real life...

I read the article about 5 times, and I'm not sure that I can fully comprehend that something like that actually happened lol.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    This seems closer to being something on a south park episode than in real life...

i imagined big gay al walking into the restaurant and everyone breaks out in song! :mrgreen:
  • Options
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I was really hoping that the blind guy's name was Stan.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Lizard wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Nevermind.
    danm,u left this in the middle!!! :mrgreen: :geek:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054

I read the article about 5 times, and I'm not sure that I can fully comprehend that something like that actually happened lol.

Don't worry the rest of the population of Australia doesn't comprehend what most South Australian residents do most of the time either. Seriously every person I've met from thier has been a tad bit ....well fucked up! :o (apologies to those who aren't ;) ) I mean perfect example is the snowtown murderers! Say no more.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    mikepegg44 wrote:

LOL. The $1400 was probably the first figure thrown out there and they screamed " OK ! Where do we sign ??!!" just to get it over with.

If this happened in the U.S. he could have easily gotten 250k :mrgreen:

We are the country of frivilous lawsuits
    NERDS!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    norm wrote:

what kind of asshole even thinks this way?

and what if the dog was gay and a guide dog?

i'm moving to greenland

:mrgreen:

bizarre!

i do get it, as in...the restaurant won't allow all dogs inside - only service dogs, but cmon....could they not TELL that the dog was indeed a GUIDE dog? i mean, it's fairly clear when someone is blind. apparently the staff in the restaurant is as well. :roll: ridiculous.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow