Options

frustration and merchandising

No_CoDeyeahNo_CoDeyeah Posts: 162
edited May 2008 in The Porch
Is it really too difficult to make an effort for posters sales ? I mean there are a lot of fans all over the world and each time you sell at least 100 posters, result ? frustration for those who didn't get it and for some people, they resell it ten times more expensive.
You can't make a sort of pre-order to fix exactly the amount of posters that people want ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ovechkin8ovechkin8 Posts: 491
    i've never seen a thread like this before.
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    Is it really too difficult to make an effort for posters sales ? I mean there are a lot of fans all over the world and each time you sell at least 100 posters, result ? frustration for those who didn't get it and for some people, they resell it ten times more expensive.
    You can't make a sort of pre-order to fix exactly the amount of posters that people want ?
    That would definitely help with the ridiculous amounts they are reselling for. If people wanted a poster, just for the art, they could produce more and meet the demand with supply. This would drive the resell value down. Which most of us are probably fine with...but the flippers wouldn't bitch.

I couldn't give two shits about how high/low the resell value of any of my posters are. I want posters either for the art or because I was at the shows.

Make more posters.

Please.
  • Options
    McJuicyMcJuicy Posts: 747
    in theory, this is a logical idea, however, this would cause a decrease in demand, so long-term it doesn't make sense for pearl jam/10c to do it like that - sorry if i come across as a dick, just trying to put the education dollars to use
    buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    agreed; they should make more, but this would piss of the rich poster snobs on here
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    agreed; they should make more, but this would piss of the rich poster snobs on here
    And I'm here to tell you that 90% of those you describe as "rich poster snobs" are what I describe as flippers.

Think about it. Who gives a fuck how rare a poster is? Since rarity = increased value, it's safe to assume the answer is: Those who plan to make money from resell.

I submit that all or most who respond negatively to the idea of PJ making posters more available are nothing but flippers.
  • Options
    but the book poster art was limited at 2600 and they have sold all the stock, so it means there's a lot of demand, there's another question under this :

the goal of ten club is too make a lot of money ? to produce art so to sell limited posters or trying to satisfied most of the members ?

I have to say that's I have no idea about this, I am very happy to receive the Xmas single and the deep magazine but for the merchandising I don't understand the politic
  • Options
    DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    I like the fact there are limited runs.... i hate getting shut out though! But thats life! I collect the posters because I like the art OR because I went to the show....as someone perviously stated!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    And I'm here to tell you that 90% of those you describe as "rich poster snobs" are what I describe as flippers.

Think about it. Who gives a fuck how rare a poster is? Since rarity = increased value, it's safe to assume the answer is: Those who plan to make money from resell.

I submit that all or most who respond negatively to the idea of PJ making posters more available are nothing but flippers.

Based on that...what do you think of my idea that I mentioned in another thread, slap a sticker on the back of the 10c copies that says "10C PRINT NOT FOR RESALE" - heck, have the computer even put the buyer's 10C number on the sticker thus identifying the source of the prints on Ebay. Those buying for the art, etc. are no worse off as they can be framed, etc. without the sticker ever becoming visible. Those looking to sell/hold, etc. are stuck with a print that may be "worth" less as it is marked. I wouldn't think twice if they were marked. You?
  • Options
    I like the fact there are limited runs.... i hate getting shut out though! But thats life! I collect the posters because I like the art OR because I went to the show....as someone perviously stated!
    They why do you like the fact there are limited runs??

That makes no sense to me. That will inevitably make it so you will miss out on posters you want for art OR posters for shows which you attended.
  • Options
    mjb wrote:
    Based on that...what do you think of my idea that I mentioned in another thread, slap a sticker on the back of the 10c copies that says "10C PRINT NOT FOR RESALE" - heck, have the computer even put the buyer's 10C number on the sticker thus identifying the source of the prints on Ebay. Those buying for the art, etc. are no worse off as they can be framed, etc. without the sticker ever becoming visible. Those looking to sell/hold, etc. are stuck with a print that may be "worth" less as it is marked. I wouldn't think twice if they were marked. You?
    I think that's a very good idea. And yes, it would definitely decrease the value..something I'm all for.

Who's fault is it the Kenyon Hall poster is selling for $500 on ebay? It's obviously Ed/PJ's fault. If they made more available, not only would they make more money, but they'd minimize flippers.
  • Options
    They why do you like the fact there are limited runs??

That makes no sense to me. That will inevitably make it so you will miss out on posters you want for art OR posters for shows which you attended.

It's the thrill of having the chance or the shot to get one! You cant win them all but when you win some it makes it that much sweeter... and yes, I got shut out of BK's sale and the 10c sale!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    and yes, I got shut out of BK's sale and the 10c sale!
    Darlin' join the club.

I sort of get the 'thrill' of seeing the poster in your cart when you know a thousand other folks are getting error messages....but I'd still prefer to be able to get the posters I want, even if they're worth shit on the street as their resell value means absolutely nothing to me.
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    is this really that big a deal? if you dont get a poster, does it really ruin your day (or more)? come on people. half the posters are way too ugly to display anyways. take a high quality pdf from the web and print your own if you think the art is that great.

i go for posters i like or for shows i was at, but it wont ruin my day if i miss out. its not even close to the same as tickets to a show.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    samnationsamnation Los Angeles, CA Posts: 277
    What if they still made a limited edition screen-print poster but additionally made a smaller, mass-produced, regular press poster? That way the people who want the quality screened poster will get theirs and the ones who just want to have some cool art or a memento of the night will have something moderately priced they can take home.
    Sam
  • Options
    lowlight10 wrote:
    is this really that big a deal? if you dont get a poster, does it really ruin your day (or more)? come on people. half the posters are way too ugly to display anyways. take a high quality pdf from the web and print your own if you think the art is that great.

i go for posters i like or for shows i was at, but it wont ruin my day if i miss out. its not even close to the same as tickets to a show.
    No one's saying their day is ruined...calm down. It was just a suggestion.
  • Options
    samnation wrote:
    What if they still made a limited edition screen-print poster but additionally made a smaller, mass-produced, regular press poster? That way the people who want the quality screened poster will get theirs and the ones who just want to have some cool art or a memento of the night will have something moderately priced they can take home.
    Would the smaller print still require custom framing? Or maybe they could make something a standard size. Because that's the REAL bitch about poster collecting...you can drop a couple bills on the poster and then another bill just to have it framed.
  • Options
    From a business standpoint it makes more sense to manufacture 1000 that you know will sell out every time instead of manufacturing 5000 that you'll probably wind up only selling half of and having the rest collect dust in a warehouse for 20 years.
    Sam
  • Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    lowlight10 wrote:

Wow...finally someone who feels the same way i do about the posters!!!!

To each their own, but i can't believe the ridiculous prices on some of this merchandise...$40 for a lighter???? $50 for a poster???
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    Would the smaller print still require custom framing? Or maybe they could make something a standard size. Because that's the REAL bitch about poster collecting...you can drop a couple bills on the poster and then another bill just to have it framed.

I was picturing something like a standard concert poster, nothing fancy. Something that would be mass-produced and at a lower price point.
    Sam
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    The sooner you people realize that they do this on purpose.. the sooner ull be able to sleep at night. I admit , ive gotten frustrated over shit like this but in all honesty, if u want to make a statement.. just stick to buying the albums and tickets for shows... Thats what i've decided was the appropriate response. I usually never end up getting a poster to a show i was at.. and it blows but you know, such is the way of the world.

What does piss me off is the jerks who buy 5-10 posters at the shows... they should only allow one poster per person IMO
  • Options
    Fatal wrote:
    Wow...finally someone who feels the same way i do about the posters!!!!

To each their own, but i can't believe the ridiculous prices on some of this merchandise...$40 for a lighter???? $50 for a poster???

Think a little, for fans who are not so lucky as you to see pearl jam or eddie vedder cause the place where you're living, it's not too expensive it's half the price of a ticket and I can find a lot of people who are finding ridiculous to see the same group 10 times and more, everyone's doing what he want, I am not talking about the way to feel about poster but to find a solution about make more people happy cause they can have access to a poster sale
  • Options
    EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    There is no guarantee that each member will get a poster OR zippo.

Good Luck!
    SLH
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I like em limited, I am not a flipper and I only buy what I want to keep.

Its nice knowing that only a few hundred (or less) exist out there-Its a big part of it.

I had to pay auction prices for my borgata and so be it. Pretty sure the artists feel the same way.
  • Options
    did you see ? a poster sold 30 bucks at the venue become a poster sold at 40 bucks, once again, why ?
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    did you see ? a poster sold 30 bucks at the venue become a poster sold at 40 bucks, once again, why ?

shameless profiteering

who cares, its either worth it to you or its not.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    perhaps its time to rehash my idea of bootleg posters... we would scan in authentic posters then reprint them with an obvious yet minor disparity (something along the border that wouldnt ruin the print itself)... obviously these couldnt be resold for legal reasons, but people could reimburse for the printing and shipping costs only... its not the same as having the real deal, but if its really just about the art i think it may be a good solution for some people

the only startup work required is for people with large poster collections to scan them and we'll make an archive... ive got printers large enough at my school lab to reproduce any of the PJ posters

this definitely sounds illegal... but im not sure... any thoughts?
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    I work in a print shop ;)
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• Options
    wilfmisswilfmiss Posts: 196
    sgossard3 wrote:

This sounds marginally to moderately illegal, yes.
    3-29-94-FL/9-24-96-MD/9-18-98-MD/9-05-00-PA/4-26-03-PA/5-03-03-PA/7-12-03-PA/10-1-04-PA/9-19-05-ON/9-28-05-PA/5-09-06-ON/5-10-06-ON/6-23-06-PA/6-19-08-NJ/10-28-09-PA/5-20-10-NY/5-21-10-NY/9-11-11-ON/9-12-11-ON/9-2-12-PA/9-22-12-GA/10-11-13-PA/10-18-13-NY/10-19-13-NY/10-16-14-MI/9-26-15-NY/4-9-16-FL/4-11-16-FL/8-8-18-WA/8-10-18-WA
  • Options
    EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    sgossard3 wrote:

well for starters it is blatant copyright infringement, which i believe in the good old US of A can get you more jail time then raping a small child.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    well for starters it is blatant copyright infringement, which i believe in the good old US of A can get you more jail time then raping a small child.
    thats why this all must stay very hush hush if it is to work :)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/