Can someone recommend a good carpet cleaning service?

YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Posts: 4,641
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Years ago for a Mothers Day gift I had a cleaning service go to my parents house to clean their rugs in the living room and dining area. The guy was pitching different services to my young brother at the time and I specifically just wanted those carpets done. They were just a pain in the ass trying to get more service. I'm in my first house and have been for 7 years and the carpet in the living room needs service. I just called Stanley Steemer and they said that it's a $96 minumum and there's a chance that the tech guy will upsell for more rooms, when it's just my living room that needs attention.

Anyone deal with a national chain and have a good experience for carpet cleaning that they could recommend? I'd do it myself but would rather have it professionally done.

Thank you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    If you have wall-to-wall the only way to go is Sears or Stanley Steemer. They're expensive but soooo worth it.
    If it's just area rugs then they're not as worth it.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i bought a carpet cleaner and did it myself. most likley not as good as a professinal service, but not bad.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    can't you rent carpet steamers somewhere?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg

walmart and grocery stores typiacally have them
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    i bought a carpet cleaner and did it myself. most likley not as good as a professinal service, but not bad.
    where did you go for this?

And thanks for the feedback, guys and gals.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153

we bought one. it's paid for itself.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    81 wrote:
    where did you go for this?

And thanks for the feedback, guys and gals.

number of places sell them. walmart, kohls, target, best buy, sears....anybody that sells vacuums will most likely have them.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    iluvcats wrote:

we bought one. it's paid for itself.

when you you cats, it's a nice thing to have.

our cat pukes on average once a month...and with him having to eat special food, that food someimtes i like mud, so the carpet cleaner makes it quick and easy to clean
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I hear Dunkman runs a 1st rate clock cleaning business.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    in the past i have always looked through my phonebook for a local carpet cleaning service.
    oddly enough the town i lived in was rather small so i knew exactly where to look.
    btw, carpet is disgusting.
    so many horrible things in carpet.
    if you have pets, forget about it, you have some major disgust dwelling in your home.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    if you have pets, forget about it, you have some major disgust dwelling in your home.

we (and by we, i mean gf) had to clean dog hair out of the fridge before we could put food in it. disgusting
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    81 wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

we (and by we, i mean gf) had to clean dog hair out of the fridge before we could put food in it. disgusting
    @ one time maybe your fridge was used as a doghouse, yes/no?
    i have found weird shit in my fridge before.
    deer hair, marsupial skins, night crawlers, and a sack of nuts & bolts.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I think our house was built in 1976. we have really nice hardwood floors and the previous home owners left the windows open and they were rained upon. ruined them in spots. we covered it up with carpet 14 years ago.
    when my cat would barf up grass, i could clean this carpet with plain water and a sponge. the green was all gone.
    now, so is the scotch guard (besides my cat is deceased *sobbing*) It appears that my husband and I both have allergies so we may not go with carpet again. I think our steamer is a Hoover upright. I have rented a canister type before, usually in the front of grocery stores.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more