JURY DUTY in L.A. doesn't pay!!

TravisTheSkyTravisTheSky Posts: 615
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Eeek! I received a jury service summons yesterday. I was not thrilled, but I figured that at least I'd be getting a small cheque for my inconvenience. The papers I got made not mention of payment, so I asked on "Ask.com."

Most people only serve one day... and the county doesn't pay jurors until their SECOND day of service! So I will be 'volunteering' by order of law to perform slave labour!

Shit! I'm so poor these days that I scrounge pennies off the sidewalk, I dive my hand into public trashcans to collect bottles. And I can't even get the lousy $15 (plus 34 cents per mile) that jury duty is worth. Grr... I think I got $30 from the State Of Rhode Island back in '3 for spending a couple of hours in jury service.
"May you live in interesting times."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Just doing your civic duty sister. ;)

Remember, if the glove does not fit, you must aquit!

Hope you find your way around the financial mess soon.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    how does that get around the amendment against forced volunteerism?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,375
    Eeek! I received a jury service summons yesterday. I was not thrilled, but I figured that at least I'd be getting a small cheque for my inconvenience. The papers I got made not mention of payment, so I asked on "Ask.com."

Most people only serve one day... and the county doesn't pay jurors until their SECOND day of service! So I will be 'volunteering' by order of law to perform slave labour!

Shit! I'm so poor these days that I scrounge pennies off the sidewalk, I dive my hand into public trashcans to collect bottles. And I can't even get the lousy $15 (plus 34 cents per mile) that jury duty is worth. Grr... I think I got $30 from the State Of Rhode Island back in '3 for spending a couple of hours in jury service.

Yet you have enough money for a fan club membership and internet service. ;)
  • you have enough money for a fan club membership and internet service.

Yes, because I make a profit from them: I work on my computer, so it brings in an income. The $20 PJ membership enabled me to sell 5 vinyls, a poster, and a CD to other members in less than a year.

Perhaps I'll get stuck on a jury for two weeks and make over $135. That would be okay. It's the first day of work for no pay that was a negative surprise. I've never heard of jury duty being compelled work for no compensation.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    my company doesn't pay for jury duty, so if i get stuck on the blago case, i'm fucked
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138

Just show up dressed in a chicken suit with an upside-down cross tattooed on your forehead and you should be excused on the 1st day. Worked like a charm for me.
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Jason P wrote:
    Just show up dressed in a chicken suit with an upside-down cross tattooed on your forehead and you should be excused on the 1st day. Worked like a charm for me.
    :lol:
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,623
    i thought it paid minimum wage...

no?
    www.myspace.com
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I get full wage compensation from my employer for jury duty.

I love jury duty, been on it twice. Both times got on a trial and saw it through to verdict. That's the key though, get on a good case.
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    edited April 2010
    I did jury duty at the Criminal Court on Temple and Broadway last November (11/3 and 11/4). I wasn't paid for the first day, but for my second (and last) day I received a check ten days later for a measly $19.76 (including mileage...20 mile round trip).
    Post edited by bigbadbill on
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Edit: Ah, Bill posted at the same time.
    no?

Not in California. Not even close. It's zero cents for the first day (Not even lunch or bus fare.)

Second day, and each day thereafter is $15 plus 34 cents for each mile that the juror lives away from the courthouse. I live about 2 miles away- so I'm guessing that if the real distance is a smidge under 2 miles, I will get 34 cents for mileage instead of 68 cents.
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    aNiMaL wrote:

I love jury duty, been on it twice. Both times got on a trial and saw it through to verdict. That's the key though, get on a good case.

I was on a jury panel in 2007 at the L.A. Federal Court for a Russian Mafia murder case. I didn't get selected though. I did enjoy pizza at the underground L.A. Mall across the street.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    bigbadbill wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

I was on a jury panel in 2007 at the L.A. Federal Court for a Russian Mafia murder case. I didn't get selected though. I did enjoy pizza at the underground L.A. Mall across the street.
    A Russian mafia murder case!! Now that would have been the one to be one.
    Edit: Ah, Bill posted at the same time.
    no?

Not in California. Not even close. It's zero cents for the first day (Not even lunch or bus fare.)

Second day, and each day thereafter is $15 plus 34 cents for each mile that the juror lives away from the courthouse. I live about 2 miles away- so I'm guessing that if the real distance is a smidge under 2 miles, I will get 34 cents for mileage instead of 68 cents.

oh....well california's broke! what did you expect?!
    www.myspace.com
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    thats backward. truly.

in the UK its like this:-
    You may only claim up to the amount you normally earn, plus childcare and other expenses specifically incurred by your jury service.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    thats backward. truly.

in the UK its like this:-
    You may only claim up to the amount you normally earn, plus childcare and other expenses specifically incurred by your jury service.

well, now we have one reason to move to the uk

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    aNiMaL wrote:

as do I and I think it should be mandatory for all employers to pay

I know it's not realistic for some employers, but they should be made to pay for up to a certain amount of days at least