PJ on Jimmy Fallon covering Exile on Main St?

ontheroadontheroad Posts: 257
edited April 2010 in The Porch
Jimmy is doing a whole week dedicated to the Rolling Stone's Exile on Main Street May 10-14. Phish is the only confirmed act so far. We know the band's devotion to the Stones (especially Mike's - who was on Fallon after their SNL gig).

PJ is in the NYC area that week: Buffalo on 5/10 and Virginia on 5/13

If they do participate what song would you want to see them cover off of Exile?

That album is one of my all-time favorites, I love all those songs, but I'm thinking Loving Cup or Torn and Frayed.
"I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    Ed already sang Sweet Virginia with Beck at the Wiltern back in '02. That would be cool.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • BM42909BM42909 Posts: 143
    Tumbling Dice

or

Let it Loose
  • Saw an update regarding the guests:

MON 5/10 TBA
    Tues Keith Urban?
    Wed Sheryl Crow
    Thurs Phish
    Fri- TBA

I think Phish will do Loving Cup since they cover it quite often, but they recently did the entire Exile on Main St during last halloween, Sheryl may do Happy, since she has covered that, Keith Urban, I don't know who he is. As for PJ, 5/10 I think they are in Buffalo. Can't see Pj doing an Exile song, I am aware of the Ed's sweet virginia vocal, but not sure which song would be a good fit . . .
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Keith Urban is an Australian born country music star. Not sure if he has covered any of the songs from "Exile" , but he and Alicia Keys did cover "Gimme Shelter" at the Live Earth concert at Giants Stadium in '07.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • ontheroadontheroad Posts: 257
    Thanks for the update. Looks like if PJ were to perform it would have to be that Friday night in between the shows in Virginia and CT. Let it Loose would be great too.
    "I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
  • HA30208HA30208 Posts: 39
    Torn and Frayed...best Exile song, according to me.
    Rushmore Plaza Civic Center - Jun 24, 1998; Sandstone Amphitheatre - Jul 03, 1998; Sandstone Amphitheatre - Oct 12, 2000; Mid-America Center - Jun 13, 2003; Fargo Dome - Jun 15, 2003; Xcel Energy Center - Jun 26, 2006; Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006; United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Sprint Center - May 03, 2010; Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 2011
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    The Crowes have gotta get in on this. Don't think this is best Stones material for PJ to tackle.

Somebody better do Sweet Black Angel
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618
    I vote for Ventilator Blues.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    My favorite on Exile is Tumbling Dice, hands down. The version on Flashpoint is so fn cool.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,272
    Tumbling Dice
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927

Distance from Buffalo to NYC - 395 miles. Approx. 7 hours
    Distance from Bristo w- 280 Miles Approx. 5 hours

In the area? Are you even remotely familiar with geography? :lol:
  • PJ is in the NYC area that week: Buffalo on 5/10 and Virginia on 5/13

The band has to pass NYC to get from Buffalo to Virgina and then pass it again to get from Virginia to Hartford, so they have two potential NYC stop overs that week. Are you even remotely familiar with geography?
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark

The band has to pass NYC to get from Buffalo to Virgina and then pass it again to get from Virginia to Hartford, so they have two potential NYC stop overs that week. Are you even remotely familiar with geography?

Buffalo is on the far west side of NY State. NYC is on the far east. VA is west of NY. Why would they drive all the way east to NYC only to then drive Southwest to VA? I really have no idea how they get to where they go but doing that seems to make absolutely no sense. Virginia to Hartford would make sense but you didn't mention that initially.
  • igotshoeigotshoe Posts: 28
    Let it loose. Best Exile song, best Stones song maybe.
  • Buffalo is on the far west side of NY State. NYC is on the far east. VA is west of NY. Why would they drive all the way east to NYC only to then drive Southwest to VA? I really have no idea how they get to where they go but doing that seems to make absolutely no sense.

These things don't always make sense. Though Pearl Jam probably doesn't have this problem, booking agents will often book you anywhere they can manage, regardless of distance or location, and this sometimes means driving from town to town on little sleep. You're lucky if you get two or three hours sleep after the show and then you're out the door again. When you get a day off and the next stop is nearby, it's like a godsend. Pearl Jam no doubt travels in luxury so it probably isn't as unpleasant for them to shuttle around aimlessly. In 2003, they travelled fron NYC up north to Boston, played the longest show they ever played at that point, and then immediately drove back south to Hershey, PA THE NEXT DAY. That's a pretty grueling trek. If not for the Boston show, they could have driven from NYC to Hershey which isn't very far, and they could have played somewhere in NJ or PA in between. They were hellbent on playing that third Boston show so they pushed it to the limit.
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618
    This year PJ's gear will drive from St Louis to Columbus on I-70 driving right through Indy, and then the next day turn around and go back to Indy, and then the next day go back through Columbus on the way to Cleveland. Does that make sense? Not at all, but sometimes that just how these things work.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
    So general consensus is Pearl Jam is going to re-route their tour 5-7 hours out of the way to play a cover song for a 12:30am talk show because they did something similar in 2003....something that netted them upwards of a million dollars because it was for a concert in Boston where as this would be a 4 minute tv appearance.

I think one of the new forum guidelines should be THINK and rationalize before you post something. I'm used to seeing the "rumors" of Ed making an appearance at any show within 2-3 hours of a PJ show but this is just ridiculous. They hardly ever even cover the stones. But hey if you guys want to hope and pray and believe this happens, I'm not going to rain on your parade. It would be cool if it happened.
  • ontheroadontheroad Posts: 257
    No need to mapquest this. I doubt this band drives to each city; maybe when they toured Canada and didn't have a choice.

They play Virginia on Thursday and Hartford on Saturday. Most likely they'll be spending Friday night in NYC anyway (can't see them sleeping for two nights in Hartford - no offense CT). The whole point here is, they could play if they were invited and wanted to participate.
    ontheroad wrote:
    No need to mapquest this. I doubt this band drives to each city; maybe when they toured Canada and didn't have a choice.

They play Virginia on Thursday and Hartford on Saturday. Most likely they'll be spending Friday night in NYC anyway (can't see them sleeping for two nights in Hartford - no offense CT). The whole point here is, they could play if they were invited and wanted to participate.

Sure. On the drive from VA to NY. My original comments were related to the OP saying Buffalo and WV are considered "in the area" of NYC.
  • rolenrockrolenrock Posts: 312
    I doubt they would play during that week... I am banking on May 20th before the first MSG show (4:30 taping) .. I got 2 tickets to the show ... so I HOPE SO... it would be a nice pre show treat.
    2009: Philly Night 2
    2010: MSG Night 1 and Night 2
    2011: Eddie Vedder Solo in Philly, PJ20 Alpine Valley Day 1 and Day 2.
    2012: Berlin Night 1(7/4)
    2013: Wrigley Field, Philly 1 and 2
  • Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910

FAIL...PJ would not even come close to NYC going from Buffalo to VA.
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    ontheroad wrote:
    Jimmy is doing a whole week dedicated to the Rolling Stone's Exile on Main Street May 10-14. Phish is the only confirmed act so far. We know the band's devotion to the Stones (especially Mike's - who was on Fallon after their SNL gig).

That album is one of my all-time favorites, I love all those songs, but I'm thinking Loving Cup or Torn and Frayed.

I can hear Pearl Jam belting out Venilator Blues.

Strange that just this morning I was thinking that Pearl Jam could probably perform an excellent "Sway"--different album, but close.
  • MikeLoveMikeLove Posts: 67
    Rocks Off!
    High and Inside, Low and Away
  • ontheroad wrote:

Well, if you know anything about Phish, I'd say its a smart bet that if anyone would play Loving Cup, it's Phish.
    Borgata II, Philly 05, ER 1 06, ER 2 06, Camden I 08, MSG I 08, MSG II 08, Mansfield II 08, EV 1 NYC, EV NJPAC

Hard To Imagine
  • I can tell you right now that PJ will not be playing on Fallon that week. The Friday that is TBA will be the Rolling Stones and that Monday will be TAB the Band(Still in the works)
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • Rossum20 wrote:

FAIL...PJ would not even come close to NYC going from Buffalo to VA.

Yea, you're probably right, if they had a show the next day. But considering they have almost 69 hours between gigs, and it's already been established that they don't always travel in the most convenient path possible, it could happen. Sounds like you failed in your fail call. I doubt they play Fallon at all, I'm just saying it's a possiblity for all of you who want to play booking agent.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark