F**Kin Cholesterol

Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Just got our blood results back. The whole family had blood drawn at this years community health fair. We are conscious eaters and excercisers.

You just cant beat that damn HEREDITARY thing can you :x

My cholesterol is the highest it has ever been at 278.
My VEGETARIAN daughter, who is also an awesome high school athlete runs at 230 in the pipes!!!

NO Pearl Jam shows this spring either!

Sometimes its just hard to be happy. :x :x :x
"...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• arqarq Posts: 8,013
    Oh my... I'm very sorry to hear that, It sucks to do the right thing and still have those results :(
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I recently got my blood test result back as well.
    My cholestrol was slightly over at 5.7, should be below 5.5.
    I was told to cut out the fried food and cheese from my diet.
    I am only 25, what a shock.
    I don't even buy takeaway/fast food, I go gym, I am a good weight for my height, I don't smoke and rarely drink.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Exactly my thoughts thoughts.

I live out in the "sticks" and there are no fast food dives within 20 miles, so an occasional McDouble is about the only source of red meat for me. I have tried statin drugs but the last one fucked up my muscles in my back after only 1 week on them. I quit them bastards and have been eating a fairly routine diet of rice, chicken, shredded wheat and chocolate!

I will be starting my RED WINE AND CARDBOARD diet next week. Wish us well.
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    When I went for a check up last year my doctor prescribed cholesterol medication due to my high levels. I am 34, work out 4-5 days a week, and eat fairly healthy. He told me that didn't matter when heredity comes into play. I am guilty recently of letting my prescription run-out and not renewing for almost a couple of months :?

I have since renewed the medication and have another check-up this Wed.

BTW, just wondering why you have to miss the shows now? Is it because of this?
    :oops:
    This has nothing to do with missing the shows. I just added that to my pity party.

My 1st born graduates from high school and everything associated with it just happens to fall on days that the band will be playing "somewhat" close, so I /we will be staying close to home.

All is not bad though. Could be alot worse. I just really want to see the band again.

We will be seeing Jack Johnson, KOL, U2, and The Black Keys so we shouldnt cry too much. Scored free tix to Dave Mathews too but I dont think I could lay on the grass for two hours listening to them...
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    that sucks especially since you seem to have a healthy lifestyle

high cholesterol runs in my family too but so far so good for me
  • Just got our blood results back. The whole family had blood drawn at this years community health fair. We are conscious eaters and excercisers.
    You just cant beat that damn HEREDITARY thing can you
    My cholesterol is the highest it has ever been at 278.
    My VEGETARIAN daughter, who is also an awesome high school athlete runs at 230 in the pipes!!!

If your ancestors died of heart disease, then you have reason to be proactive about heart disease. But if your older relatives have high cholesterol numbers while still being healthy, you might want to do more research. The ridiculous $windle of statin drugs is that they lower blood cholesterol numbers by dumping cholesterol into the liver. BUT PEOPLE WHO TAKE STATINS HAVE NO REDUCTION IN CARDIAC EVENTS! That's right, people with "high cholesterol" who do and do not take statins have the same risk for heart attack, stroke, and death. The difference between the two groups of people is that the ones on statins have higher risk of developing other diseases down the road... Because the liver and kidneys are overwhelmed with the huge amounts of cholesterol being shunted out of the bloodstream.

To soften blood vessels and improve circulation, take niacin (NOT niacinamide.) Try either flush-free real niacin if you can find it, or take teeny tiny doses of regualar niacin as you can tolerate it. I've tried it before, it IMMEDIATELY improves circulation so well that the capillaries under the skin become flushed with blood. It's creepy and uncomfortable. But I was fine when I bit off just a small fraction of one tablet.

Omega-3s, the ESSENTIAL fatty acids, also play an important role in circulation and blood vessel health.
    "May you live in interesting times."
    Thanks for the info. Really.

I used to take niacin quite regularly, until the flush was overwhelming. I have to start that and my red wine routine soon.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I took a 100 mg Niacin, the kind that can cause flushing, but I forgot I took it. I was on my computer. My lips began itching and I can't remember exactly as it was 2 years ago, but inside my head felt hot. My mom lived here at the time and I showed her my back since that's where I felt the flush. she said I looked sunburned. My sister told me to never take it again, that next time it could be an allergic reaction. I slept well that night!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more