i need some help from an expert

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited May 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
my band has always played a half step down to accomodate the singer (we do covers)

so i had my guitar set up for a half step down tuning....but our new singer is comfortable singing in standard tuning....so we have a gig tonight, and i'm nervous that if i use standard tuning it will be too tight on the strings and i'll break a string

how can i adjust the (whatever its called) to loosen it a bit for standard tuning? its a Les Paul, btw

i am gonna get it set up for standard this week, but the show is tonight....and i do have my Tele i can play in standard tuning, but the LP is better for this band
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Lessen the angle from the bridge to the tailpiece. Unscrew the tailpiece a little, but I don't think it would really be a problem to just tune up and go with it.

My LP's always seem like they take a song or 2 to settle in after comin back up to standard from tuning down, but that's about it.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Just use a capo on the 1st fret, problem solved.

Likely, if you tuned up to standard, nothing would be wrong. It can take a couple days for the wood of the neck to bend anyways. Really, all you should need is a slight truss-rod adjustment. And the strings will be fine, they're designed for standard tuning anyways. The only thing that would affect the strings is if you suddenly increased the length of your guitar's neck, which isn't really even possible.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i thought of using a capo, but i'm sure i'd screw up most songs having to think of everything a fret higher
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    You should be ok... Do you have another guitar you keep in standard?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    well, to follow up, we ended up playing down a half step at that gig cuz our singer wasn't feeling well...but we are gonna do standard tuning from now on

so i brought my guitar to guitar center and told the guy i wanted it adjusted back to standard tuning, and the very same guy who told me getting it set up for half step down makes a "big difference" said its fine and doesn't need to be adjusted to use standard tuning...
    The only thing it might need is just a slight twist of the truss rod, but I'd give it a week of sitting in standard tuning before even trying that. It may not move at all, seeing as it's a minimal change in tension. What gauge of strings are you using?
    10s
    Yeah, with 10's, I'd say just let it be. Give it a week or two, and see if the action or intonation goes out. But like I said before, the change in tension with standard-gauge strings tuning up a half-step is really minimal.