German Shepherd dog leads Alaska State Troopers to fire

Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53sAVRZ ... r_embedded

http://www.examiner.com/x-1028-Pet-News ... fire-Video

Amazing video from the dashboard camera of an Alaska State Trooper's vehicle shows how a dog led the trooper through snowy roads to a fiery blaze that had erupted at his owner's property.

The raw video, distributed by the Associated Press, shows Buddy the German Shepherd dog waiting by the side of a main road on a dark and cold night. As soon as Buddy sees the trooper's headlights, the dog takes off running down a smaller road, leading the trooper's car down the right path at each fork in the road to where the fire is blazing.

The incident occurred on April 4. Buddy and his owner, 23-year-old Ben Heinrichs, were in the family workshop when a heater ignited chemicals and the workshop burst into flames, reports the AP.

"I just told him, 'We need to get help,' and then that's the last time I seen him," Heinrichs told the News-Tribune. "I didn't train him or nothing. He just took off and went and did what he did. ... He was just being a good dog."

It's a good thing Buddy sprung into action because trooper Terrence Shanigan, who was responding to the call about a fire, was having trouble with his vehicle's global positioning system, which wasn't working properly, reports the News-Tribune. "Shanigan, who almost took the long way around the neighborhood, came across Buddy on Caswell Loop Road," reports the News-Tribune. "The dog took off, and acting on a hunch, Shanigan followed the dog down a side road." Amazing!

Heinrichs survived the fire with minor flash burns to his face, reports the AP. Buddy will receive a special award today from the Alaska State Troopers: an engraved silver-plated dog bowl.
don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Ahhhh.....nice story. Will try to remember to watch vid later.....

(should be better responses than that "other" dog and fire story!!!!)
    ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Lizard wrote:
    (should be better responses than that "other" dog and fire story!!!!)
    ;)

here's dunkyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. :wave:

;);)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53sAVRZUE4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.examiner.com/x-1028-Pet-News ... fire-Video

Amazing video from the dashboard camera of an Alaska State Trooper's vehicle shows how a dog led the trooper through snowy roads to a fiery blaze that had erupted at his owner's property.

The raw video, distributed by the Associated Press, shows Buddy the German Shepherd dog waiting by the side of a main road on a dark and cold night. As soon as Buddy sees the trooper's headlights, the dog takes off running down a smaller road, leading the trooper's car down the right path at each fork in the road to where the fire is blazing.

The incident occurred on April 4. Buddy and his owner, 23-year-old Ben Heinrichs, were in the family workshop when a heater ignited chemicals and the workshop burst into flames, reports the AP.

"I just told him, 'We need to get help,' and then that's the last time I seen him," Heinrichs told the News-Tribune. "I didn't train him or nothing. He just took off and went and did what he did. ... He was just being a good dog."

It's a good thing Buddy sprung into action because trooper Terrence Shanigan, who was responding to the call about a fire, was having trouble with his vehicle's global positioning system, which wasn't working properly, reports the News-Tribune. "Shanigan, who almost took the long way around the neighborhood, came across Buddy on Caswell Loop Road," reports the News-Tribune. "The dog took off, and acting on a hunch, Shanigan followed the dog down a side road." Amazing!

Heinrichs survived the fire with minor flash burns to his face, reports the AP. Buddy will receive a special award today from the Alaska State Troopers: an engraved silver-plated dog bowl.

that is so friggin' cool!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen:
  • comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    :) thanks for sharing. Yep - would definitely save the doggie ;)
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Awesome story!! That is why German Shepherds are so cool!!
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Dogs rule!!!!
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Dogs rule!!!!

yes they do! :D
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Great Story!!! :D

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Buddy is a hero!
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Wow, amazing video. Great story.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Dogs rule!!!!
    Truer words have never been spoken!
  • I just saw this on the news too. So cool.

Buddy is a true hero.