An Original PJ and Mother Love Bone Fan Left Us On Saturday

Piper At The GatesPiper At The Gates Posts: 460
edited April 2010 in The Porch
My friend Donny, who was a big fan of PJ and MLB passed away on Saturday afternoon (April 17). He had pancreatic cancer and stomach lymphoma and died with dignity at a hospital in New London, Connecticut, with my wife and me by his side.
When I first met Donny 10 years ago, I told him I was a Pearl Jam fan and he told me that he liked PJ and was also a fan of Mother Love Bone and Andrew Wood. I knew then that he knew what he was talking about because most fans - especially here on the east coast - didn't know that much about MLB, and he knew a lot. He was into them even before Pearl Jam was formed.
I took Donny to all of his doctor's appointments and on some long car rides in the past few months and we listened to Pearl Jam boots on all of them. Being a drummer himself, Donny loved to listen to Matt Cameron and often commented on what a great drummer Matt is.
In the days since his death, I have taken comfort in Pearl Jam's music and have been playing it non-stop in my car and late at night with headphones. It clears my head and makes me remember those rides with Donny and all the things we talked about.
Thanks for reading this. I wanted to put a tribute To Don on the site and this is it. Peace to all.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,688
    R.I.P. Donny.

Cancer sucks.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    Certainly The Big Man upstairs allows Pearl Jam to be played...Donny sounds like a cool cat to someday meet on the other side.
  • jambayleafjambayleaf Posts: 646
    Thanks for posting. Sorry for your loss, but sounds like a great friend that music pulled you two closer. Music is powerful. Take care, and now Donny gets to go to all the concerts he wants.
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • nice tribute. sorry for your loss, dude.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,404
    Sorry for your loss! :(
    He's with Andy now on Mt. Olympus.
  • BeerBaronBeerBaron Posts: 4,097
    Sorry for your loss.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Sorry for the loss of your friend Donny. You are a good friend. Taking care of a fellow fan in his most trying time is commendable. I'll say it again, Pearl Jam fans are the kindest people I have ever met.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    Cancer does suck. Hopefully you'll feel him sitting in the carseat next to you each time PJ is blaring through your car speakers.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    peace be with you
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Thank you all for your kind words. Pearl Jam fans really are the nicest people around.
  • Princess KJPrincess KJ Posts: 442
    My thoughts are with you and all who loved your friend.
    If I knew then, would I know now?

* Perth Entertainment Centre - Mar 06, 1995
    * Melbourne Park - Mar 02, 1998
    * Brisbane QSAC- Nov 25, 2009
    * EV Solo- QPAC- March 10, 12 and 13 2011

• OGT92OGT92 Posts: 1,588
    Yeah cancer blows. I just found out last weekend that someone close to me most likely has it(colon). I don't want to say who because there's a slight chance he might not (at least I'm hoping) but according to the doctors they are convinced it is cancer. We just have to wait for the results. Sorry to hear of your loss.
    "I read about the evils of drinking, so I gave up reading." - Henry Youngman
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    sorry for your loss

cancer sucks
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Sorry for your loss, peace to you and your families.
  • sorry for your loss man, and thanks for sharing. RIP Donny.

on a very positive note, isn't it amazing how a band and their music can help form a bond like this between two (or more) people who otherwise might have never been friends? that's powerful stuff.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    R.I.P Donny

sounds like a right chap!
  • veinvein Posts: 77
    Thanks for sharing. He will be missed.
    Chicago 95, 98, Indy 03, Chicago 06, Chicago Vic 07
    EV Chicago 08, Chicago 09, Indy 10
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    Sorry for you loss of such a great friend. Cancer does suck.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I am very sorry. He's in a better place for sure.