Trading Fan Club tickets... How confident are you?

Bu$chlagerBu$chlager Posts: 498
edited April 2010 in The Porch
I am considering doing a swap for the two nights at MSG. I have sick fan club seats to night one but nothing for night two. But considering you can't pick up the tickets until the day of show, it would definitely be a leap of faith on my part, no? Giving away my MSGI seat and then hoping my fellow fan meets me the next day and gives me their Night 2 spare.

Not trying to be overly cynical or anything, but messed up stuff does happen, ya know? Also, I have zero experience doing something like this, (I've never been shut out before) so despite all the extra ticket threads, I'm not sure how prevelant or wise it is to do something like this. (Let's face it, most of the posts in those threads are people seeking tickets, not offering.)

So anyone have any advice? Have people been burned before? Am I worried about nothing?

Thanks!

- Dan
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    I think for the most part, people can be pretty trusting. Try to get some conversation going with the guy/gal beforehand, whether it be PM's, emails, or even ask for their phone number. Check out his/her post history.

I drove from Maine to Philly in October after already paying a guy through pay pal. We shared phone #'s and messages, and I never really had any doubt that he wouldn't come through. I called him when I got to the parking lot, and within minutes he found me, and gave me the tickets.

I don't think it's being overly cynical, as there are always people out there who won't think twice to rip somebody off. But, try to get a feel for the person, and make your decision from there.

Good luck!
  • The best thing to do is not "give" away your night 1 ticket and wait until night 2 to make the trade. Let the other person pay you for your night 1 ticket, and just hand back the envelope on night 2. Yes, there's a slim chance that the person would flake but that would be pretty rotten, and unlikely to happen. Just make sure you have exchanged cell phone numbers and have an easy place to meet, like a specific street corner a block away from the MSG mob scene).
  • Bu$chlagerBu$chlager Posts: 498
    mrswhatsit wrote:
    The best thing to do is not "give" away your night 1 ticket and wait until night 2 to make the trade. Let the other person pay you for your night 1 ticket, and just hand back the envelope on night 2. Yes, there's a slim chance that the person would flake but that would be pretty rotten, and unlikely to happen. Just make sure you have exchanged cell phone numbers and have an easy place to meet, like a specific street corner a block away from the MSG mob scene).

Thanks, not a bad idea. I just feel wierd making that request. Feels like I'm already half-accusing the person or making assumptions about their cedibility when in all liklihood they are an awesome person.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i had a guy promise me a chicago ticket last year. a week before the show i stopped hearing from him. then 1 hour before the show he called me. i had already found another ticket....he was pissed.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I agree with mrswhatsit about not making the trade until night 2...that's a good idea....and I would think the other person would understand that
    I think for the most part, people can be pretty trusting. Try to get some conversation going with the guy/gal beforehand, whether it be PM's, emails, or even ask for their phone number. Check out his/her post history.

I drove from Maine to Philly in October after already paying a guy through pay pal. We shared phone #'s and messages, and I never really had any doubt that he wouldn't come through. I called him when I got to the parking lot, and within minutes he found me, and gave me the tickets.

I don't think it's being overly cynical, as there are always people out there who won't think twice to rip somebody off. But, try to get a feel for the person, and make your decision from there.

Good luck!

and this is pretty much what I would suggest....I sold my extra for Philly 2 and had no problems...after talking through e-mails, exchanging phone #'s, and working out meeting up I had no worries
    Ok, cool. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Now to find a trade partner!
  • En La ClandestinidadEn La Clandestinidad Telford, PA by way of Kansas City, MO and Milwaukee, WI, Phoenix, AZ and East Greenbush, NY Posts: 3,647
    I have MSG 1 extra ticket if you were interested. I would definitely NOT screw you over.
    Formerly Brew Crew Tix
    “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    cash is king

i was set to trade a ticket to philly 3 for a philly 4 ticket

deal was, i give cash for philly 3 ticket and get cash back the next night for philly 4 ticket. it protects both parties.

although it sucks if you are the second night ticket person and the person doesn't show...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,832
    You pays your money and takes your chances
    for the most part, you should be ok-all of the folks Ive met are trustworthy
    but there is always a chance the person will flake on you
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,386
    I've had good luck with this system with forum members.
    10C Rocks wrote:
    I have MSG 1 extra ticket if you were interested. I would definitely NOT screw you over.

Thanks, but I am in the same boat. I have an extra MSG1, looking to trade for a single MSG2.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    100% confident...my Europe experience has 100% feadback...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • I have done this several times (and am doing it for MSG) and it's always worked out well. PJ fans are mostly trustworthy. That cash idea above seems like a good idea, but mostly just check out how much the person has posted, even if they have a low post count look at what they've posted, they may just be active around tours (like me) and make sure to exchange phone numbers and keep in touch close to the show. I know its anxiety ridden and it does depend on the person, but I've had good luck and it seems like in general when dealing with other fans, especially ones that are fan club members they'll be good to their word.
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    demonscars wrote:
    I have done this several times (and am doing it for MSG) and it's always worked out well. PJ fans are mostly trustworthy. That cash idea above seems like a good idea, but mostly just check out how much the person has posted, even if they have a low post count look at what they've posted, they may just be active around tours (like me) and make sure to exchange phone numbers and keep in touch close to the show. I know its anxiety ridden and it does depend on the person, but I've had good luck and it seems like in general when dealing with other fans, especially ones that are fan club members they'll be good to their word.
    Very true 8-) . Last year I sold my LA I pair in exchange for 2 10c tickets the next night (you were only aloud to buy tickets to 1 of the 4 shows through 10c & I had a friend in the 4th row with tickets :mrgreen: ). My pair the 1st night actually won the lottery so she & her husband were sitting just 6 rows behind me! I mentioned an extra $10 deposit fee ( in case she was a no show night 2) + the cost of the 1st pair of tickets over the phone. She agreed but I never even took the deposit. We exchanged email addresses & had each others phone #. It all went down very easily. I was paid in full the 1st night & handed the money back the next night. This is a very smart idea ;) . This way if there is a no show at least you weren't ripped off with $. You can either find another buyer or seller, a bit of a hassle but better than being ripped off. Most people here treat you well 8-) , good luck with your trading :geek: .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    you keep making deals with everyon euntil someone pays you or gives you tickets. that way, you don;t get fucked because you think you're being "true" to your "commitment" to one person. i've been fucked and that's how i operate now.
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,099
    you keep making deals with everyon euntil someone pays you or gives you tickets. that way, you don;t get fucked because you think you're being "true" to your "commitment" to one person. i've been fucked and that's how i operate now.
    Wow.. I hope you tell people you're going to do this so they're not relying on you..
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    Sometimes I get nervous with this too, especially if I'm traveling to a city with no ticket and pretty much relying on the person. I've had 100% positive experience with ticket trades through the message board though.
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,634
    Made arrangements with 2 10C members. One was insanely thorough with contact and arrangements. Best experience ever. The second was more casual and showed up literally last minute. I bought a spare before he showed, but he was far from mad, as he arrived 15 mins before the 10C GA gates opened. He completely understood, and there was literally 5 other people in line for the ticket.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    Last year, I travelled from guatemala to seattle for the shows with two buddies. I got TC tickets for the first night and immediately got in touch with someone thru PM´s. So we agreed to trade 1&2.

I searched for tickets for my friends and managed to find TC tickets for them and they even got to sit closer to the stage! Really cool canadian and german kids.

There will always be some people with bad intentions or just simply, people that are paranoid. At first, I agreed with one dude from NYC and a couple of weeks before the shows he emails me that he would give them to someone else. I responded politely, but i was cursing his whole family tree. Luckily, with help from my unknown ticket partner, i got in touch with the canadians and everything turned out great.

BTW, we also travelled for the LA 1 & 2, and at a Bar near the gibson amph, people were offering great TC tickets for face value, of course. So, you could possibly find tickets right before the show.

Dont worry (too much). I would bet that you will have a great time. In fact, I envy you right now!! :)

Good luck! (you lucky bastard ;) )

But remember always to get in touch with the TC member thru PM or emails of by phone. Ha Ha. Just remembered that I immediately called a member after he PM with his phone # (i explained to him what that NY guy did) and he could not believe I was calling him from guatemala! :D
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • I have sold my extra ticket and had no problems and made new friends!

If I told someone first they could have my ticket and then someone else asks me, I let them know if they are 2nd or 3rd in line for my ticket and I will let them know if it's gone when I get paid. I also ask them to let me know if they no longer need it so I can look for someone else if the other deal falls through. How can you promise a ticket to someone if you already told someone else they can have it?

benjs wrote:
    Wow.. I hope you tell people you're going to do this so they're not relying on you..
  • If I were to do this I would have to receive money as a holder. Say face value for the ticket I would be giving them, so that if they did not show up to give me my ticket the next day, i wouldnt be completely out. I would at least have the money. Granted I would still be pissed, but it wouldnt be as bad. But if they did show up with the ticket I would give them the money back.
    Noblesville 6/22/2003 St. Louis 5/4/2010 East Troy 9/4/2011
    Cleveland 5/20/2006 Columbus 5/6/2010 Chicago 7/19/2013
    Cincinnatti 6/24/2006 Noblesville 5/7/2010. Buffalo 10/12/2013
    Lollapalooza 8/5/2007 Mountain View 10/23/2010 Cincinnatti 10/1/2014
    Washington D.C. 6/22/2008 Mountain View 10/24/2010 St. Louis 10/3/2014
    Chicago 8/22/2008(EV Solo) St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo) St. Paul 10/19/2014
    Kansas City 5/3/2010 East Troy 9/3/2011 Milwaukee 10/20/2014
    Hampton 4/18/2016 Columbia 4/21/2016 Lexington 4/26/2016
    NYC 5/2/2016