~ Pearl Jam family tree DVD on the way ~

BlahBlah Posts: 469
edited April 2010 in The Porch
DJ Pierre Robert WMMR 93.3 FM

It’s only Rock’n Roll but, after all this time, I still LOVE it! As I write this, I’m thinking about what an amazing month its been for me and how lucky I am to work and play in this magical rock world. I’m also equally honored to be able to share it with you!

…out of the blue-came a call from the Pearl Jam camp. Smitty, their tour manager, asked if I could fly out to Seattle to interview some of the musicians in some of the bands that were a vital part of the local Seattle music scene prior to Pearl Jam. This was all the brainchild of Stone Gossard. He wanted to have these bands play at a small club, film it, and conduct interviews with the various players (that’s where I came in). The idea was to tell part of the Seattle story and explain the family tree, the overlapping nature of that music. Although I thought I knew a fair amount of the story already, I immersed myself in all things Seattle and learned even more. A vital part of that saga involves two legendary bands from the rainy city: Malfunkshun and Mother Love Bone. They were fronted by an extremely charismatic singer by the name of Andrew Wood. He joined Mother Love Bone with fellow members Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament along with Bruce Fairweather on guitar and Greg Gilmore on drums. Unfortunatly, Andy Wood died at the young age of 24 right after MLB got signed to a major deal and was set to take off on tour. This led to Andy’s roomate, a great singer himself-Chris Cornell-forming Temple of the Dog in a tribute with Stone and Jeff. That of course led to Pearl Jam.

So, I got to interview several talented Seattle players including singer, songwriter Shawn Smith who would do an awesome job filling in for Andy during this show. The evening opened with another of Stone Gossard’s projects, The Hank Khoir, comprised of a unique mix of musicians including Pete Droge. This was followed by Shawn’s band Satchel, then another of his groups, Pigeonhed. After that Brad took the stage. The night concluded with the reuniting of Malfunkshun, followed by Mother Love Bone. The crowd ate it up! It reminded me, in a way, of when some of our legendary Philly bands like The Hooters and Beru Revue get together after some time, and how exited our audiences are to hear that music come alive again.

If all that were not enough, after the concert I was invited to the secret, surprise show two night later with Soundgarden. It was held at the same small club, The Showbox (similar in size and set-up to our own TLA on South St.). Seeing that amazing band reappear after a 13 year hiatus was cooler than cool! I’ve included their set list and a photo of the marquis of the club with the name “Nudedragons” (an anagram for Soundgarden). WMMR was the only station to send live reports, here to Philly. I played them back a few days ago but Jason has now put them on a podcast if you’re interested in listening. Even the New York Times wanted to attend but could not so we’re extremely greatfull that we did get in and that I was able to cover it for, and share it with, you!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,404
    mmmm ... Pearl Jam Family Tree DVD!

homer-drool.gif
  • that would be awesome
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    sweet! I 've heard small rumors aboutthis.. I wonder when we'll see it. :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    sounds cool, but so much for the rumors that Pierre was flown out there to do material for the rumored DVD of the October 09 Philly shows.
  • T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 412
    Pierre is the best!
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • embraceembrace Posts: 849
    So coool!
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • rick1zoo2 wrote:
    sounds cool, but so much for the rumors that Pierre was flown out there to do material for the rumored DVD of the October 09 Philly shows.
    whos to say he didnt? 2 birds, 1 stone? :mrgreen:
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

good point! keep the rumors alive! :D
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

2 birds, 1 stone?

Sounds like an R-Rated movie...
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.