Autotune and Pearl Jam

bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
edited April 2010 in The Porch
What if on their next album (in a few years from now), Pearl Jam (Ed) did a song using autotune (like T-Pain). That would be painfully funny.
11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PontikasPontikas Posts: 210
    He might be using it now, but on a really subtle setting. I guess we will never know!

I hear it on a lot of songs from bands, even bands like SOAD.

I realise however, that you mean to the extent that all those pop singers are (over)using it.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Pontikas wrote:
    He might be using it now, but on a really subtle setting. I guess we will never know!

I realise however, that you mean to the extent that all those pop singers are (over)using it.
    :shock: :o :shock: :x
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I'd love to see a Pearl Jam/T-pain collaboration. That would blow my mind.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    I think people have already confirmed it was already subtly used on Life Wasted, when comparing the leaked rough mix to the released version.
    I think people have already confirmed it was already subtly used on Life Wasted, when comparing the leaked rough mix to the released version.

Thats interesting, i didnt notice it on Life Wasted. i will listen to it later. maybe ill be able to hear it on there.
    by the way, where can i find the leaked rough mix of Life Wasted ?
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I'm convinced he's using it at the start of Just Breathe...
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
    Jennytree wrote:
    I'm convinced he's using it at the start of Just Breathe...

I think you are right - when he says "breathe" about 1 minute into the song Its noticeable.

Also, at 2:11 just after face - "Oh, oh"
  • if anyone has copies of the rough mizes for avacado - please send them to me so i can post on gremmie.net

email is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:m@gremmie.net">m@gremmie.net</a><!-- e -->
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    two totally different bands, but vampire weekend uses it on their latest album. they are also one of my favorite bands so.... not the best song on the album, but it works. pj could pull it off with another push me pull me type song
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    All artists use autotune to some degree. Every single one of them. It may just be for a word here or there or even a note but they all use it, from the worst of singers to the best. I work as a studio manager at a production and management company in NYC. The producer I work w/has done remixes for Madonna, Beyonce, Seal, etc and they all use it.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,404
    Pontikas wrote:

Ex-squeeze me? Baking powder? Systems of a Down doesn't use Auto Tune on their records.
    Do you know what Auto Tune is?

This is Auto Tune: http://vimeo.com/7545734

Serj Tankian doesn't use Auto Tune on any SOAD records that I know & heard of.
    Save Me wrote:
    All artists use autotune to some degree. Every single one of them. It may just be for a word here or there or even a note but they all use it, from the worst of singers to the best. I work as a studio manager at a production and management company in NYC. The producer I work w/has done remixes for Madonna, Beyonce, Seal, etc and they all use it.

Ah, nope! Not all artists use autotune to some degree. Maybe the whole pop/dance/r&b/soul/rap community. Not 'all artists' in the field of rock/hardrock/alternative/heavymetal/country.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    demetrios wrote:
    Pontikas wrote:

Ex-squeeze me? Baking powder? Systems of a Down doesn't use Auto Tune on their records.

Well he should! It's painful.
    demetrios wrote:
    Pontikas wrote:

Nah! I love his vocals with System of A Down. It matches perfectly to that type of music.
    I wonder how T-Pain would sound like if he didn't use Auto Tune?
    He & his vocals would be a nobody today. Guaranteed!
    demetrios wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

Nah! I love his vocals with System of A Down. It matches perfectly to that type of music.
    I wonder how T-Pain would sound like if he didn't use Auto Tune?
    He & his vocals would be a nobody today. Guaranteed!

Tryin' to listen to SOAD now... I guess I just don't get it... T-Pain wouldn't be on a boat, I can tell ya that!
    Tryin' to listen to SOAD now... I guess I just don't get it... T-Pain wouldn't be on a boat, I can tell ya that!

T-Pain wouldn't be where he's at today if it wasn't for Auto Tune. That's his trade mark. How he got big. Even CNN, Late Night show's, BET etc.. show's had episodes dedicated to the man & his Auto Tune garbage. Search youtube & google.com. If he didn't have this with his music, he would be just another rapper trying to stay alive in the music business world. ps .. my bad, I forgot to mention if it also wasn't for the naked ladies & bling bling in his video, his music wouldn't even hit public access tv, radio or the local 'no name' newspaper.
    edited April 2010
    Save Me wrote:

I agree with this guy. he is absolutely right. I am listening to backspacer with headphones now and can hear examples of where it is noticeable in every song.

I also work as a sound designer/composer and have years of experience using Auto-tune and Melodyne (similar to auto-tune). http://www.nk-sd.com/

Just cause that particular Cher or T-Pain sound isnt heard, it doesnt mean auto-tune isnt being used.
    Post edited by Pontikas on
    T-Pain studio vs T-Pain live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u67xfvAqjF0

:lol:
    demetrios wrote:

T-Pain wouldn't be where he's at today if it wasn't for Auto Tune. That's his trade mark. How he got big. Even CNN, Late Night show's, BET etc.. show's had episodes dedicated to the man & his Auto Tune garbage. Search youtube & google.com. If he didn't have this with his music, he would be just another rapper trying to stay alive in the music business world. ps .. my bad, I forgot to mention if it also wasn't for the naked ladies & bling bling in his video, his music wouldn't even hit public access tv, radio or the local 'no name' newspaper.

Just watched the video you posted, didn't realize he used it in EVERY song... then again, I don't listen to any of his music anyway...
    Just watched the video you posted, didn't realize he used it in EVERY song... then again, I don't listen to any of his music anyway...

I don't either. When ever I hear Auto Tune, it's T-Pain. Another reason the guy is so popular cause everybody know's he's the guy behind that product.

Let's just hope Pearl Jam never, ever, EVER uses Auto Tune for any of their records.
    demetrios wrote:

I don't either. When ever I hear Auto Tune, it's T-Pain. Another reason the guy is so popular cause everybody know's he's the guy behind that product.

Let's just hope Pearl Jam never, ever, EVER uses Auto Tune for any of their records.

Yeah, Ed has no need for that, not even for the gimmick factor
    demetrios wrote:

You don't understand.

Pearl Jam definitely use Auto-Tune. I am very experienced with this and can hear it.

The difference with them and T-pain, is that they use it in a very subtle way to gently tune the vocals. T-pain uses it as a vocal effect. He is not the first person to use this effect - Cher was using it back in 1998...
    Pontikas wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

You don't understand.

Pearl Jam definitely use Auto-Tune. I am very experienced with this and can hear it.

The difference with them and T-pain, is that they use it in a very subtle way to gently tune the vocals. T-pain uses it as a vocal effect. He is not the first person to use this effect - Cher was using it back in 1998...

Going back to page 1, got any jpeg images shots & data where System of a Down is using Auto Tune? Already knew about Cher & Auto Tune with the help of Wikipedia many, many year's back & this video from Weird Al. Not all artists use Auto Tune. Do you hear Auto Tune when you hear a Death Cab For Cutie record or Jay Z record? These 2 artists are not the only artists that don't use Auto Tune on their records. I'm surprised now that Pearl Jam uses Auto Tune.
    Pontikas wrote:

You don't understand.

This hurts my feelings...

Not just the thought that Ed thinks he would need to use it, but it's ties to Exxon. :)
    demetrios wrote:
    Going back to page 1, got any jpeg images shots & data where System of a Down is using Auto Tune? Already knew about Cher & Auto Tune with the help of Wikipedia many, many year's back & this video from Weird Al. Not all artists use Auto Tune. Do you hear Auto Tune when you hear a Death Cab For Cutie record or Jay Z record? These 2 artists are not the only artists that don't use Auto Tune on their records. I'm surprised now that Pearl Jam uses Auto Tune.

Where would i find any jpegs of SOAD using auto-tune ?

Anyway, I agree that its wrong to generalise and to say that all artists use autotune. however most do currently, so they can "perfect" the vocals.

Example of SOAD using autotune: Holy Mountains from the album Hypnotize
    Listen carefully with headphones from 2:58 to 3:04. Its not so obvious but can be heard.

I can give you examples from backspacer as well if u want where its a bit more obvious. Its not a bad thing to use autotune...
    Pontikas wrote:
    I can give you examples from backspacer as well if u want where its a bit more obvious. Its not a bad thing to use autotune...

Has Pearl Jam used autotune before Backspacer?
    Pontikas wrote:
    Where would i find any jpegs of SOAD using auto-tune ?

I was wondering cause you mentioned "I also work as a sound designer/composer and have years of experience using Auto-tune and Melodyne (similar to auto-tune). http://www.nk-sd.com/" Wouldn't you have the software that show's the graph, so you can see each vocal pitch & sound that uses Auto Tune which pin points where you hear the mix?

I'm very curious what other Pearl Jam tracks use Auto Tune.
    I was wondering cause you mentioned "I also work as a sound designer/composer and have years of experience using Auto-tune and Melodyne (similar to auto-tune). http://www.nk-sd.com/" Wouldn't you have the software that show's the graph, so you can see each vocal pitch & sound that uses Auto Tune which pin points where you hear the mix?

if I had the vocal track only (with no instruments) I could analyse it easily and figure out which words or phrases in a song have been tuned more. The reason I know that it is being used is that, when Autotune isnt used carefully it leaves small "artefacts" or abnormalities in the vocal sound. The best way to use auto-tune is so no-one knows u have used it.

I'm not sure if PJ have used auto-tune before backspacer - i would have to listen to figure out.

Listen to "Unthought Known" at around 1:14 - the word "air". Does that sound normal to you ? ;)
  • shepshep Posts: 5,764
    Pontikas wrote:

if I had the vocal track only (with no instruments) I could analyse it easily and figure out which words or phrases in a song have been tuned more. The reason I know that it is being used is that, when Autotune isnt used carefully it leaves small "artefacts" or abnormalities in the vocal sound. The best way to use auto-tune is so no-one knows u have used it.

I'm not sure if PJ have used auto-tune before backspacer - i would have to listen to figure out.

Listen to "Unthought Known" at around 1:14 - the word "air". Does that sound normal to you ? ;)

Stole the words right out of my mouth.

I was going to say the same thing: Can't be sure about before backspacer, but there is definitely signs of auto-tune use on that album. And I was going to quote unthought known specifically.

I have no idea what the digital signatures of auto-tune would look like, but I have a classically-trained musical ear (which I have been destroying by going to too many shows without earplugs) from the Royal Conservatory of Music, and I can hear it in a lot of points in Backspacer.

I will even go so far as to say it's been used live. When I went to ACL Eddie changed microphones before and after Unthought Known... and the song was flawless vocally. Normally you are hear Eddie hit a lot of off pitch notes in any given song... but that particular performance was flawless. The rest of the show there was an obvious lack of auto-tune, but that one song...

That being said, I'm not knocking Ed for it. Every other song I've heard him do live, there was no auto-tune.. and that makes it much more special... to know that you're getting his voice and not some processed signal.

Before the invention of auto-tune I thought that hitting off notes at a concert was terrible... since the invention whenever I hear a singer hitting off notes I am happy, cause it means I'm not getting auto-tuned vocals. And everyone... and I mean everyone, uses it live... I think the most blatent abuse of it that I witnessed was a Chris Cornell solo show... it was so obvious that I felt like leaving the show cause I knew it wasn't a genuine performace...
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    shep wrote:
    Pontikas wrote:

Stole the words right out of my mouth.

I was going to say the same thing: Can't be sure about before backspacer, but there is definitely signs of auto-tune use on that album. And I was going to quote unthought known specifically.

I have no idea what the digital signatures of auto-tune would look like, but I have a classically-trained musical ear (which I have been destroying by going to too many shows without earplugs) from the Royal Conservatory of Music, and I can hear it in a lot of points in Backspacer.

I will even go so far as to say it's been used live. When I went to ACL Eddie changed microphones before and after Unthought Known... and the song was flawless vocally. Normally you are hear Eddie hit a lot of off pitch notes in any given song... but that particular performance was flawless. The rest of the show there was an obvious lack of auto-tune, but that one song...

That being said, I'm not knocking Ed for it. Every other song I've heard him do live, there was no auto-tune.. and that makes it much more special... to know that you're getting his voice and not some processed signal.

Before the invention of auto-tune I thought that hitting off notes at a concert was terrible... since the invention whenever I hear a singer hitting off notes I am happy, cause it means I'm not getting auto-tuned vocals. And everyone... and I mean everyone, uses it live... I think the most blatent abuse of it that I witnessed was a Chris Cornell solo show... it was so obvious that I felt like leaving the show cause I knew it wasn't a genuine performace...

That's a shame if he's doing that - I prefer the vocal imperfections, just like I like the odd bum note on guitar or a missed snare on drums live too. I like the liveness and authenticity.

Down with autotune!
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.