jr211945jr211945 Posts: 10
edited April 2010 in The Porch
Anyone hear is Eddie was being sued ?
JVR
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    He won that case last week.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,926
    Again?

that ITW deal was ruled in Ed's favor.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    That was in like January. He changed a word or two in "Hard Sun" and Gordon Peterson was suing him for that. Unless he's being sued again.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • TrizzlerTrizzler Posts: 93
    @ConanOBrien:

Eddie Vedder's set at my show in Seattle last night melted my eyeballs. Seriously, I'm going to sue Eddie for boiling my ocular-jelly.

Maybe that?
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,407
    I wonder, do you think Ed will play this song again live with all the heat coming from Gordon Peterson?
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Ed may do the song as a pre set or on other solo show opportunities.
    If he won the lawsuit, it's over and done with; although both parties do have the right to appeal if not happy with a ruling. So, I don't think Peterson's personal opinion matters anymore. However, Ed may not want to play the song after the whole mess. Pure speculation from me on this thought though. I guess time and future shows will tell. :D
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    you are allowed to cover songs when playing live.
    i do not see why he wouldn't play it again
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    ed appears to be clear. i leaned today however that the "lawsuit" is not over
  • It's not over.

The judge just said during a court session that it "probably didn't" amount to copyright infringement. Also, "there are other issues in the case, stemming from claims that Peterson's licensing deal prevented the use of the song in films."
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • dreamcodedreamcode Posts: 165
    Who gets the money whenever this song is played by Ed? If the money still goes to Peterson he should just be glad that Ed chose one of his songs, altered it just a little bit, but gave the song a much bigger audience in all. If it wasn´t for Ed and Into The Wild (and this thread) I would never have heard about this song or Peterson.
    And he still gives his love,
    he just gives it away...
  • wolfamongwolveswolfamongwolves Posts: 2,414
    edited April 2010
    Why is Eddie being sued, indeed! Sounds like it should be Sean Penn getting sued! (actually, suing is silly - he should have just given SP a piece of his mind)

Cross: How did you come across the song Hard Sun for the Into the Wild soundtrack?

Vedder: The Canadian connection! When Sean (Penn, the director) first showed me the movie, it was in the film. To be honest, for me, it was the first time I’d ever heard it. But it felt like I had heard it. I couldn’t tell if it was from the late ’60s or mid-’70s. It had this kind of timeless thing about it.

Cross: Sean Penn found the song?

Vedder: Sean, at one point, knew Gordon (Peterson, the person behind Indio) or had been in contact with him or had friends who were friends of his. And Sean has really good, really eclectic musical tastes. He can quote Phil Ochs at the drop of a hat or recite a 12-minute Bob Dylan song. I think he knew this fellow, Gordon, and loved this song.

I wrote something for this part of the film (the soundtrack for Into the Wild is essentially an Eddie Vedder solo record) and he said “I think that’s good, but I think we need to go with Hard Sun.” And I thought, “Great. That’s less work for me to do. And then he said, “No, no. YOUR version of it.”

I tried to be really true to his delivery. It’s a great, great song. But I’ve not met (Peterson) or talked to him. I hope he liked it.
    Post edited by wolfamongwolves on
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    I tried to be really true to his delivery. It’s a great, great song. But I’ve not met (Peterson) or talked to him. I hope he liked it.

Apparently he didn’t like it.

So Penn and Vedder didn’t get permission to cover it?
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Trizzler wrote:
    @ConanOBrien:

Eddie Vedder's set at my show in Seattle last night melted my eyeballs. Seriously, I'm going to sue Eddie for boiling my ocular-jelly.

Maybe that?
    :lol:
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • I tried to be really true to his delivery. It’s a great, great song. But I’ve not met (Peterson) or talked to him. I hope he liked it.

Apparently he didn’t like it.

So Penn and Vedder didn’t get permission to cover it?

They got permission from Peterson's record company, who I assume holds the copyright. But not from him. I can understand him being ticked off, but I hardly think it merits suing.

(When you read your post with the quote, it looks like you put Eddie's words in my mouth!!! :D )