I need a low watt Tube amp to nail some PJ Dirt!!

SalJamSalJam Posts: 125
edited May 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys... I currently play thorugh a Epiphone Valve Senior. I love the amp but is too loud for my home use. Can you recommend a lower watt tube amp (5 watts) that will nail the PJ Dirty tone? This question comes up all the time on some of the other forums but I figured you guys know your PJ tones.. I'm looking for one that will cover a wide array of PJ.. Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Ideally, I'd suggest a vintage black- or silver-face Fender Champ or Vibro Champ, although the vintage amp market is getting pretty spendy even for the little amps.

As for new amps, I've heard pretty decent tone out of the Epi Valve Jr amps, but I've only played a couple of modded models myself. I know the Vox Tiny Terror is a good bet, if you like Vox's chimey-tone (and Stone has used some EL-84 amps over the years). But the one that makes the most sense to me is the Fender Pro Junior, with an upgraded speaker. Pretty simple amp, although it is 15 watts.

The other option would be to get something like a Weber Mini Mass attenuator, which would give you much more usable volumes with your current amp at home. Just something to think about.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • SalJamSalJam Posts: 125
    Ideally, I'd suggest a vintage black- or silver-face Fender Champ or Vibro Champ, although the vintage amp market is getting pretty spendy even for the little amps.

As for new amps, I've heard pretty decent tone out of the Epi Valve Jr amps, but I've only played a couple of modded models myself. I know the Vox Tiny Terror is a good bet, if you like Vox's chimey-tone (and Stone has used some EL-84 amps over the years). But the one that makes the most sense to me is the Fender Pro Junior, with an upgraded speaker. Pretty simple amp, although it is 15 watts.

The other option would be to get something like a Weber Mini Mass attenuator, which would give you much more usable volumes with your current amp at home. Just something to think about.
    Thanks for the feedback man. I've been thinking about a Fender Pro Jr or Blues Jr but I am probably better off with my Epi Valve Sr since it has a master volume and a gain switch. Do you have to crank the volume big time to get the gain going on these Fenders? This is a tough call man. Maybe the Vox AC4tv. Everyone seems to like those
    If you like preamp-tube distortion, then a master-volume amp is imperative. Personally, I'll never own a master-volume amp, but I prefer power tube saturation over preamp distortion. I'd rather use drive/distortion pedals for pushing the front end.

If you really want that kind of tone at bedroom volumes, then I'm not aware of ANY tube amp that will do the trick. Even 5 watts from a tube amp will be loud if you want to push it into distortion. There are even 1-watt tube amps that have too much volume to crank comfortably for a bedroom amp.

I'd be looking at a decent solid-state amp that you could use instead, like a Line 6 Spider or Roland Cube. But don't forget about an attenuator...
    If you like preamp-tube distortion, then a master-volume amp is imperative. Personally, I'll never own a master-volume amp, but I prefer power tube saturation over preamp distortion. I'd rather use drive/distortion pedals for pushing the front end.

If you really want that kind of tone at bedroom volumes, then I'm not aware of ANY tube amp that will do the trick. Even 5 watts from a tube amp will be loud if you want to push it into distortion. There are even 1-watt tube amps that have too much volume to crank comfortably for a bedroom amp.

I'd be looking at a decent solid-state amp that you could use instead, like a Line 6 Spider or Roland Cube. But don't forget about an attenuator...
    Thanks again. I had a Line 6 Spider III. I'm not ever going back to solid state. I'm not sure I dig the pre amp distortion either. Perhaps that is what I find lacking. Is the PJ dirty sounds coming from tube satuartion mostly? I assume it is. I may consider selling my Valve Senior and going with something else. Thanks again man!
  • JW42505JW42505 Posts: 113
    fender blues jr is perfect for pj sound...with a nice keeley pedal of course!
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I got a Blues Jr, I usually have the master turned to 4 and gain volume turned to 6, and control the overall volume with my BD-2.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
    Guys... How do you think the Fender Blues Jr compares to my EPI Valve Senior?
    The link below lists it at 18 watts but its actually 20 watts. It's loud man

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ValveSr/

Would the Blues Jr be too similar to the Valve Senior. If so it may not be worth it to switch to it. Thanks
  • JW42505JW42505 Posts: 113
    blues jr is a big upgrade..get the reissue limited tweed with the upgraded speaker..sick amp for $550
    JW42505 wrote:
    blues jr is a big upgrade..get the reissue limited tweed with the upgraded speaker..sick amp for $550
    Thanks for the input. 15 watts will still blow my house apart but this sounds like it'll take me where I want to go for the PJ dirt.. I can always put my OD pedal in front if it. Anyone want to buy an Epi Valve Sr? haaaa
  • ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    SalJam wrote:
    Thanks for the input. 15 watts will still blow my house apart but this sounds like it'll take me where I want to go for the PJ dirt.. I can always put my OD pedal in front if it. Anyone want to buy an Epi Valve Sr? haaaa

I'd have to agree with you on that comment about 15 watts blowing your house apart. I own a Tiny Terror and that thing would be WAY to loud to play at home (while still sounding good).
    But if you want that sound, you can look into the Orange AD-5 (I believe that's what it's called.) Basically the same thing with only 5 watts. Don't know if they still make them though.

edit: Looks like they don't. Shame...
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    From playing the Blues Jr., I'm not impressed. I have a Frontman 25R practice amp that gives me the same tone and sound. However, I have heard that changing the speaker makes a difference.

Have you thought about an attenuator for your current amp? It might be a bit cheaper to get and you still know the "sweet spots" on the current amp.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    I have not thought about an attenuator... Maybe I should, however I like the thought of the Blues Jr NOS or whatever the hell the Tweed version is. It sounds pretty good with the Jenson speaker from the clips I've heard. Originally I was planning on going with the Vox AC4tv... I'm all over the place on this. My Epi Valve Senior purchase was probably ill advised.... great amp for $349 but I feel like I'm lacking something. I'm a 40 yr old family guy that will only be playing at home. I mostly play PJ so I'm looking for the "perfect" amp for PJ's dirty tones (Mike's, Stone's and Ed's). I actually love the tones Ed gets live and I think he's on some sort of Fender. I may be asking to much from a single amp. The Tweed Blues Jr does intrigue me though... Thanks alot guys for the feedback
    I have an older Fender Vibro Champ amp, which is rated at 6 watts, and plays thru an 8-inch speaker. Can't get a lot smaller than that. And yet... I find it too loud for my current apartment situation. So I re-iterate... if you really want tube tone at bedroom volumes, it really doesn't exist.

The PJ guys generally run their tube amps on at least half-volume, if not higher. Stone and Mike have changed amps many times over the years, but since you mention Ed's current tone: he's using a tweed Fender Twin (I believe it's a re-issue) which is 40-watts thru 2x12" speakers, for his clean tone, and a pair of cranked tweed Fender Deluxes (I believe they're vintage) which are 12-watt amps thru a single 12" speaker each. Before Ed was on the Fenders, he was using a Hiwatt half-stack (prior to 2003). I thought his tone was better then, but it's all a matter of opinion.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Pignose amps are pretty good. Very nice handwired amps. MIG's vibro champ is a good idea. The Princeton Recording amp is also pretty good. A lot of guys I know get smaller tube amps and turn them to 10 to get a REALLY GOOD cookin' tone.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    I agree MIG. I much prefered EV's tone through that Hiwatt. Clearly a townsend influence.
    I'd love to get my hands on a vintage one -but those DR103's are 100w and i aint playing stadiums anytime soon :-(

I have the 15 watt Pro Jr. and it too is way too loud for a bedroom space. I have it on level 1 or 2 and with a mod BD2 and TS9 i can get pretty close to the PJ tone. But not due to the tube amp break up, its definately the pedals.
  • ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    Well, if you're into Hiwatts, have the extra money lying around and can find one, you might also want to try the Custom 7 head or combo. I haven't tried one out and it runs on 84s instead of 34s but it might be worth a try.
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    Yeah im in London currently, so the vintage 70's ones are around. But the head alone as you say would be between £1250 to £2000 depending on the quality. Nope, that kinda money aint lying around :(

Cool ill look into those.
    For me, regarding Ed's tone circa 1998-2002, it was more a function of the guitars from the time (Schecter PT's and the teal drop-top SG with P-90's) than the amp, although those Hiwatts are killer amps.

I never could make my peace with EL-84's, so that's not a good option for me. I'd much rather stick with 6V6's for little-wattage tubes, and greatly prefer Russian 5881's over pretty much anything.
  • definatly worth investing in a Weber Mini Mass.

I bought one for home use and use it with my laney lionheart head/cab and it works brilliantly, i spend hours jamming on my own now because i can achieve the tones i get at full rehearsal. My little valve jr doesn't get a look in anymore because its just too loud for home use!

I have been getting some sick tones with my new lionheart, i play it with the drive channel on all the time, not too much dirt dialled in, but volume on 6 and with the celestions it GROWLS!...boosting it with a maxon od9..its heaven.

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • dissident52dissident52 Posts: 33
    I would think that the new Marshall Class 5 amps would be a good choice. I've personally never played one myself. But from the clips i've heard, it's got that classic Marshall crunch, 5 watts, and fairly affordable at $400.
    05/03/2010 Kansas City, Missouri
    10/09/2014 Lincoln, Nebraska
  • 59fender59fender Posts: 46
    check out a mesa express 5:25 you can play in 5 watt mode in the house or take it out to a gig and switch it to 25 watt i played through one the other day in a local guitar center, and out of all the other mesa's i plugged into this one was the best. (well besides the mark V). after playing it i want a express. they also have a 5:50 as well, but 50 watt of mesa gets loud, my other guitar player has a dc5 and it sounds great but damn its loud, cant even put him in the mix most fo the time.
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Posts: 2,580
    Anybody played through or heard a Blackstar HT-5 amp (5 watt)? All I've seen are reviews online but it's intriguing to me. I'm interested if anyone has had anything good/bad to say about them. I would agree with what has been said before though, 5 watts doesn't sound like much but they can still get pretty loud!
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley