Options

ESPN 30 for 30 "Silly Little Game" - Fantasy Baseball

jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I have many rants on this forum about ESPN, but one thing they are doing that I love is this 30 for 30 series.

Tonight is the premier of "Silly Little Game" ... about the origins of rotisserie (or fantasy) baseball.

You youngin's should watch it for sure.

As for those of you like me, that have been doing it since college, that remember buying the old ROTISSERIE LEAGUE BASEBALL books, or hand entering stats from the USA Today every week into Lotus 1-2-3, this is a must watch. Heck, this is the 20th year of my hometown league.

On tonight at 8 PM EST (ESPN) and 11 PM EST (ESPN2)

http://30for30.espn.com/film/silly-little-game.html

Would love to hear some of the stories if anyone's been doing this for a while now.
"You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,089
    I remember the first time I tried fantasy baseball in 1991. We had three people, did the draft the previous summer and vowed to keep stats by hand. Considering we were 11 or 12, we didn't have the attention span and gave up quickly.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I've only been doing the fantasy baseball with my college buddies for a few years. Fun stuff for the most part.

I would also like to say that the ESPN 30 for 30 has been excellent. The Len Bias one a few months ago was very well done.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I had this on for a minute in between the hockey commercials

Once I heard the guy say "These guys deserve to be in the Hall of Fame".......... I turned the channel

You kidding me
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I've only been playing for 11 years. I missed out on all the fun of getting the box scores and entering data :)

I started out playing in the "Sandbox" which i don't think even exist anymore.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    i always miss these 30 for 30 shows and then expect espn to rerun the hell out of them...but they don't for some reason. unless i always miss the reruns too....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    i always miss these 30 for 30 shows and then expect espn to rerun the hell out of them...but they don't for some reason. unless i always miss the reruns too....

they don't because I'm sure the inevitable "box set" is forthcoming ...

then, once the sames die down .. then they will replay them.

The history of Silly Little Game was great ... the production was painful. Far too hokey.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    just watched the marcus dupree 30 for 30. anyone see that yet? i didn't know much about him before watching it. wow---what a phenomenal story. these 30 for 30's are so well done.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    just watched the marcus dupree 30 for 30. anyone see that yet? i didn't know much about him before watching it. wow---what a phenomenal story. these 30 for 30's are so well done.

I liked the Ricky Williams one also
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    here is waht i learned about fantasy baseball last year in the pj league

it's all about the draft. one guy auto drafted, logged in twice during the season and won the league.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

they're on demand if you have comcast. I've seen a few. Some I thought were great (especially the one about the July 17th day with the OJ stuff...that was amazing). the miami football was good too. the iverson, tyson/tupac, and fantasy baseball were all pretty weak IMO.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    The Fixer wrote:

they're on demand if you have comcast. I've seen a few. Some I thought were great (especially the one about the July 17th day with the OJ stuff...that was amazing). the miami football was good too. the iverson, tyson/tupac, and fantasy baseball were all pretty weak IMO.

the USFL, Colombian soccer, and Len Bias ones were fantastic.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

the USFL, Colombian soccer, and Len Bias ones were fantastic.

Yeah, the columbian soccer one was cool. I refuse to watch the len bias doc because I'm sure it's ESPN just sucking boston off like they do with everything else.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Yeah, the columbian soccer one was cool. I refuse to watch the len bias doc because I'm sure it's ESPN just sucking boston off like they do with everything else.

no not at all, it's mostly about maryland and the night he died. the people he was with actually talk about the night and openly discuss the drug use and what happened. i highly recommend it especially if you are old enough to have any memory of the incident. i was a hoops player and in high school at the time so between that and the Hank Gathers incident (another one on 30 for 30 but that one is more about Paul Westhead, not a great one) they are stories that really had my attention. check the len bias one out, i think you will enjoy it.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

no not at all, it's mostly about maryland and the night he died. the people he was with actually talk about the night and openly discuss the drug use and what happened. i highly recommend it especially if you are old enough to have any memory of the incident. i was a hoops player and in high school at the time so between that and the Hank Gathers incident (another one on 30 for 30 but that one is more about Paul Westhead, not a great one) they are stories that really had my attention. check the len bias one out, i think you will enjoy it.

i gotta see that one. i don't look at these as your typical espn productions either.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    jimed14 wrote:
    As for those of you like me, that have been doing it since college, that remember buying the old ROTISSERIE LEAGUE BASEBALL books, or hand entering stats from the USA Today every week into Lotus 1-2-3, this is a must watch. Heck, this is the 20th year of my hometown league.

Hell Yes!!!!

This year is the 20th anniversary with our league. Same guys from Grade 9.

We started off drafting at McDonalds, then we drafted in my basement.

Then we got our own houses (no parents). Now I am a Hotel Manager and we set up in a boardroom on a Saturday afternoon.

Actually - it is now a whole day event. A pancake breakfast, then draft rounds 1-15. Then lunch out at a pub. Then Draft rounds 16-30. Then we go to a sports bar and watch hockey night in Canada.

I remember in our league - the big controversy was when we were still manually doing our stats with BAseball Weekly and a spreadsheet, we started to allow roster changes every other week and it was hard to keep track. We also had the honor system for everyone doing their own stats.

God Bless Yahoo Fantasy!!
  • Options
    oh and another great one is the one with Vlade Divac/Drazen Petrovic and how they were best of friends playing for the great Yugoslavia team (with toni kukoc and dina radja as well, they were awesome) and how the war tore apart their friendship and how petrovic wouldn't speak with vlade after the war. it's really good but pretty sad as well. great story though.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    oh and another great one is the one with Vlade Divac/Drazen Petrovic and how they were best of friends playing for the great Yugoslavia team (with toni kukoc and dina radja as well, they were awesome) and how the war tore apart their friendship and how petrovic wouldn't speak with vlade after the war. it's really good but pretty sad as well. great story though.

saw that one. fantastic. petrovic was on his way to superstardom.

did you see the marcus dupree one? the footage of him running through and past everyone in high school is unreal.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

did you see the marcus dupree one? the footage of him running through and past everyone in high school is unreal.

I saw the dupree one. it was pretty good.

I'm telling you, if you haven't seen the one about the OJ stuff, you gotta check it out. There isn't any commentary or dialougue, it's just news clips and broadcasts from throughout the day. fucking amazing
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

I'm telling you, if you haven't seen the one about the OJ stuff, you gotta check it out. There isn't any commentary or dialougue, it's just news clips and broadcasts from throughout the day. fucking amazing

yeah i saw that one too. good stuff.
    i liked the dupree one a little more because i didn't know much of anything about him before watching it.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I'm telling you, if you haven't seen the one about the OJ stuff, you gotta check it out. There isn't any commentary or dialougue, it's just news clips and broadcasts from throughout the day. fucking amazing[/quote]

yeah i saw that one too. good stuff.
    i liked the dupree one a little more because i didn't know much of anything about him before watching it.[/quote]

the Dupree one was good. I new he was good but never realized how great of a freshman year he had a Oklahoma. and the OJ one was really cool with everything going on that night, definitely takes you back. the last one i saw was the one on SMU getting the death penalty. it was really long, 2 hours, but pretty good as well. they were such cheaters they actually had a listed payroll for their players.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

the Dupree one was good. I new he was good but never realized how great of a freshman year he had a Oklahoma. and the OJ one was really cool with everything going on that night, definitely takes you back. the last one i saw was the one on SMU getting the death penalty. it was really long, 2 hours, but pretty good as well. they were such cheaters they actually had a listed payroll for their players.

the SMU one is one I definitely want to watch. I can't stand craig james...he is so annoying as an announcer.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

the SMU one is one I definitely want to watch. I can't stand craig james...he is so annoying as an announcer.

the smu one was awesome.

switzer is such a douche. dupree set a fiesta bowl record with something like 250 yards on just 12 carries, but no td's. after the game switzer basically blamed the loss on him for not having the stamina to get into the endzone on those long runs.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

just watched the len bias one. awesome. i was only 8 when that happened so i didn't remember exactly all the details. i actually forgot he od'd 2 nights after the draft.

it was pretty funny watching marion berry talk about it though. still amazes me that dc would elected him again. dopes. :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750
    The whole 30 for 30 series was awesome, but this one was unwatchable. It was so lame the way they were re-enacting how this started.

-The Marcus Dupree doc was my favorite. I had heard about him , but had no idea how good he was. Crazy.
  • Options
    i watched the bo jackson doc tonight. can't believe he's 50 now. the tecmo bowl reference was worth the price of admission.

what could have been...
    chinese-happy.jpg