Blast from the past... PJ Seattle review 10 years ago

Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
edited April 2010 in The Porch
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. ... ug=4051930

Pearl Jam's last concert was a perfect finale for band

By Patrick MacDonald

Seattle Times staff critic

If it were being covered by the British rock press, the headline would go something like: Pearl Jam Shock - Last Show Ever?

Eddie Vedder teased the crowd at Monday's concert at KeyArena, the last of a yearlong tour, by saying, "We may never play again." To which the audience cried "No! No!"

Then he hedged a little, mumbling, "At least not for a very long time."

If it really was the last time - let's hope not - the nearly three-hour show was the perfect finale. The group played all the hits from its 10-year history - its first single, "Alive"; its performance-video breakthrough, "Even Flow"; its MTV video giant, "Jeremy"; and its great song about rock stardom, "Not For You" - and played them like there was no tomorrow.

Vedder was in his element as rock shaman, leading the crowd through an almost religious experience, singing of flying over mountains, of seeing visions, of being young and free, of burdens lifted and love flowing. He reached out to touch hands with people in the audience.

He thanked Seattle for embracing him, especially the music community. "I'm just happy I got to come to Seattle," he said.

He honored the memory of the nine who died at a Pearl Jam concert in Denmark last summer by dedicating the joyful "Off He Goes" to the memory of one of them, an Australian named Anthony Hurley.

And he ended the show by identifying himself with the fans, saying he has so much money "I hate myself at times," calling for teen dance legislation

and decrying the heavy security at Seattle Center concerts.

He said the Monday crowd was "10 times better" than the Sunday one and that the group was feeling "bugged" Sunday night because of the security, especially the searches at KeyArena's entrances, which kept concertgoers in line an hour or more.

And Monday's show was better than Sunday's (although I didn't see all of Sunday's show, because of deadlines). Vedder was in a better mood, the band was looser and the song selection more varied.

There was a party atmosphere in the crowd and on the stage, with the band members dancing around while they played. Mike McCready smashed a guitar to bits, with parts flying into the audience (lawsuit!).

The finale was a nod to one of the all-time greats, and Vedder's favorite band, The Who: great covers of "The Kids Are Alright" and "Won't Get Fooled Again."

Vedder's next performance is Nov. 27 at London's Royal Albert Hall, where he will join The Who for a benefit concert.

After that - who knows? Even if it is over, it was great while it lasted.

Copyright © 2000 The Seattle Times Company
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Haha "Won't Get Fooled Again"
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful