Your 10 Greatest CONCEPT Albums

g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
1.*2112*..RUSH...(First Half) In a future totalitarian society, music and all free thinking is banned. A young boy, however, finds a guitar in a cave and learns to play, much to the chagrin of the authorities. We can't have that now can we.
s3388.jpg

2.*The Rise & Fall Of Ziggy Stardust & The Man From Mars*...David Bowie..A Martian rock star named Ziggy Stardust arrives on Earth to deliver a simple message: let the children lead the way.
s623.jpg

3.*Stay Human*..Michael Franti & Spearhead..fictional radio segments focusing on the case of "Sister Fatima" who is executed by album's end.
200px-Stay_Human.jpg

4.*The Dark Side Of the Moon*..Pink Floyd...the modern pressures of materialism that can combine and conspire to drive an ordinary person to insanity.
s976.jpg

5.*The Wall*..Pink Floyd...Traces the life of a fictional rock star named Pink, who isolates himself from society by building a imaginary wall, each brick being a pain-inducing incident in his life (childhood abuse, rock stardom.
s969.jpg

6. *Operation: Mindcrime*...Queensryche...Dr. X, a political puppet master brainwashes Nikki, a street punk and heroin addict, to assassinate corrupt public figures.
s7383.jpg

7.*Tommy*...The Who...A young boy (Tommy) is rendered deaf, dumb and blind upon witnessing the fatal shooting of his returning war hero father by his stepfather. Then picks up pinball and becomes a wizard then rockstar.
s184.jpg

8. *Misplaced Childhood*..Marrillion...A quasi-schizophrenic narrator guides the listener through a past littered with regret, sorrow and the occasional moment of joy. This is interspersed with narration from the present tense and ultimately leads to a redemption in the conclusion; the location of a lost childhood.
s1982.jpg

9. *Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory*..Dream Theater ...A man goes under regressive hypnosis, and discovers that in a previous life, he was a young woman who was murdered in the 1920s.
s5002.jpg

10. *Duke*...Genesis... How fame, wealth, success and broken love affairs can adversely affect the individual (Duke) concerned.
s12280.jpg

What might yours be?

peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    NIN - The Downward Spiral!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Fantastic Planet by Failure

Great album by one of the best bands you have never heard of.. I suggest getting all there stuff if you like 90's rock
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • ActionJackActionJack Posts: 137
    sgt peppers
    quadrophenia
    the wall
    dark side of the moon
    zigg stardust
    tommy
    royal scam-steely dan.. could be considered a concept album... great album either way

I enjoy skinny-skiing, going to bullfights on acid...

NIN - Year Zero 8-)
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    ActionJack wrote:
    sgt peppers
    quadrophenia
    the wall
    dark side of the moon
    zigg stardust
    tommy
    royal scam-steely dan.. could be considered a concept album... great album either way
    What is the concept of Sgt. Pepper?? outside of those two tracks?? Don't get me wrong, I love the album and i am a beatles junkie but, I don't feel it is a concept album.. Me and my brother argued this a few months back
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,834
    Green Day- American Idiot
    The Decemberists- the Hazards Of Love
    Stabbing Westward- Darkest Days
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Our Lady Peace -- Spiritual Machines
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Drive By Truckers ~ Southern Rock Opera
    Flaming Lips ~ Soft Bulletin
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    I'd add ANYTHING from Rage AgainstThe Machine. They're all about waking people up to the oppresion in the world, how the system DOESNT work, how were all being manipulated, etc... I can't imagine anyone NOT feeling there music.....but that's just me :D
    badbrains wrote:
    I'd add ANYTHING from Rage AgainstThe Machine. They're all about waking people up to the oppresion in the world, how the system DOESNT work, how were all being manipulated, etc... I can't imagine anyone NOT feeling there music.....but that's just me :D

Their albums aren't concept albums.
  • MK1980MK1980 Posts: 291
    Dark side of the moon and The wall - Pink Floyd
    Radio KAOS - Roger waters
    Ladies and gentleman we are floating in space - Spiritualized
    Downward spiral - NIN
    How I choose to feel is how I am...I will not lose my faith, It's an inside job today.
    Manchester Aug 17th 2009
    Hyde Park June 25th 2010
    Manchester June 20th & 21st 2012
    Leeds July 14th 2014
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    OOPPS my bad I posted this and didn't realize it's in the wrong forum.

Somebody move it to OTHER MUSIC

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,423
    Decemberists: The Hazards of Love - it's really good, though I have no idea what's going on. Not the greatest, but pretty good. They finally started utilizing their awesome guitarist (listening Pearl jam?).
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • ActionJackActionJack Posts: 137
    ActionJack wrote:
    sgt peppers
    quadrophenia
    the wall
    dark side of the moon
    zigg stardust
    tommy
    What is the concept of Sgt. Pepper?? outside of those two tracks?? Don't get me wrong, I love the album and i am a beatles junkie but, I don't feel it is a concept album.. Me and my brother argued this a few months back
    you know its funny you say that because ive actually argued it wasnt one either with a friend of mine. I just kind of thought the majority consider it to be one and i also simply love the album so i listed it. The argument i was hearing was the whole "alter-ego" apect, even though its not reflected in each individual song. I actually agree with you though.

I enjoy skinny-skiing, going to bullfights on acid...

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Mastodon - Leviathan and Crack The Skye

:twisted:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    the wall

/thread
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Spirit
    The Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    Live Rust anyone?
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    *The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway*...Peter Gabriel's swan song working in Genesis and what a way to go... A Puerto-Rican juvenile delinquent named Rael, who lives in New York City, is swept underground to face bizarre creatures and nightmarish dangers in order to save his trapped brother John.
    s5920.jpg

*Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son*...Iron Maiden...A young psychic forsees an apocalytic future and attempts to warn the inhabitants of the village he lives in, only to be ignored.
    s2089.jpg

*Kilroy Was Here*...STYX...Set in the future where rock music is outlawed by a hyperconservative government. Kilroy, the main character, is a former rock star who has been imprisoned. He escapes using a disguise when he hears that a young musician, Johnathan Chance, is on a mission to bring rock music back.
    s4684.jpg

Peace